Home
Posted By: cutNshoot 50 cal hawken vs 45-70 govt - 03/25/11
Will my 50 cal perform on big game as well as the 45-70 in short range hunting conditions?
Can't say but on paper a .45-70 will shoot a 350 grain bullet at 1950 and the Hawken would shoot it at more like 1600-1700.

Of course, with those sized bullets, it's not speed that kills.
Yes it will
Posted By: Ron_T Re: 50 cal hawken vs 45-70 govt - 03/26/11
It depends... if you're shooting a 177 grain round, patched rifle ball at a deer at relatively short range, that will most certainly do the job even though you won't have as great a muzzle velocity as you'd have if using the .45/70/350.

And... you definitely won't have as great a retained, down-range velocity with your Hawken compared to a .45/70's much heavier bullet due to the shape & weight difference of the two projectiles... round ball vs. pointed, lead bullet... because of the .45/70's greater muzzle velocity plus it's better, retained, down-range bullet velocity.

However, in spite of these differences, even a big buck deer probably won't know the "difference" if you place your shot where it should be.

However, if your game is a 2,000 pound male bison or a 1200 pound bull moose... you may have a bit of a problem if you're using the Hawken.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: GuyM Re: 50 cal hawken vs 45-70 govt - 03/26/11
Depending on the specific load, there can be an awful lot of similarity between the two.

Noticed that back when I started messing with the .45/70, about ten years ago. Some loads were a lot like those from my traditional .50 muzzle loader - a big ol' chunk of lead, moving slow. Both proved to be very effective on mule deer at modest ranges.
Posted By: LRF Re: 50 cal hawken vs 45-70 govt - 03/26/11
I was one time asked in a safety and health conference whether a little bit of lead would kill...I answered that it depended on how fast it was going. grin It left the conference in stitches.
Originally Posted by LRF
I was one time asked in a safety and health conference whether a little bit of lead would kill...I answered that it depended on how fast it was going. grin It left the conference in stitches.

laugh laugh

Doc
Got a good deal on the Hawken 150.00 out the door. Midway USA wants 779.00 Damn!!!
© 24hourcampfire