Home
Posted By: rusty25 Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
Anyone have suggestions on a smokeless powder and bullet combination for a Savage 10ML-II? Just picked one up, and plan on working up a load as soon as I get it scoped.
Posted By: ewc Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
43 gr SR-4759 and a 250 sst

or

44 gr of VV N-110 and a 250 sst

I just used the loads in the book that came with mine and it shoots great.I used VV110 powder ,harvester sabots and hornady 250 grain pistol bullets. I have had good results with T/C cheap shot bullets too.Lots of info here too.
dougs http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Posted By: Tulie Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
63-65 grains RL7, Fed primer, MMP Sabot (not the high pressure one), 300 grain Hornady XTP. Gives me between 2250 and 2300 fps and hammers whatever it hits. N-110 is my second choice and it gets 45 grains and everything else is the same.
Posted By: dcd Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
42 gr sr4759 is the choice for me. dropped it 1 gr but i dont believe im that good a shot to document and warrant the cost to validate difference. if the load builds confidence id go wlth it.
Posted By: samson805 Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
43gr SR4759, Barnes original semi spitzer(.458)300gr, Harvester black crushed rib sabot, CCI 209M primer.
Thanks for the thread. Perfect timing for me as well. I started with 44 gr. 5744 with the Harvester black rib crush and a 325 gr. Hornady FTX. It has promise.

ddj
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
I just used the loads in the book that came with mine and it shoots great.I used VV110 powder ,harvester sabots and hornady 250 grain pistol bullets. I have had good results with T/C cheap shot bullets too.Lots of info here too.

Let me be the odd ball here. I usually am, so it's nothing new to me. I bought mine several years ago and stuck right to the book. I use IMR 4227. Why? It's difficult to ignite, but it has never been a problem to me. But it is what I had on hand. Every year I have threatened to switch to another powder, but when it comes right down to it, I stick with the 4227. It works for me.
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by crow_sniper

Let me be the odd ball here. I usually am, so it's nothing new to me. I bought mine several years ago and stuck right to the book. I use IMR 4227. Why? It's difficult to ignite, but it has never been a problem to me. But it is what I had on hand. Every year I have threatened to switch to another powder, but when it comes right down to it, I stick with the 4227. It works for me.

When I bought my gun, 4227 was one of the loads listed in the manual. I use 45grs of it under a 250gr XTP and get 2100fps with groups under 2" at 200yds.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
On another note, using loads NOT listed in the Savage manual is asking for trouble. If you think you can use any old smokeless powder in the Savage, you are mistaken.

If anyone has questions about the Savage muzzleloaders, they should check out Randy Wakeman's sight. He worked with Savage to develope the muzzleloader and is the person Savage refers customers to for technical advice.

http://randywakeman.com/savage3.htm
Posted By: rick59 Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
On another note, using loads NOT listed in the Savage manual is asking for trouble. If you think you can use any old smokeless powder in the Savage, you are mistaken.

If anyone has questions about the Savage muzzleloaders, they should check out Randy Wakeman's sight. He worked with Savage to develope the muzzleloader and is the person Savage refers customers to for technical advice.

http://randywakeman.com/savage3.htm

Henry Ball not RW
Interveiw with HB
Posted By: rick59 Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/14/11
Originally Posted by rusty25
Anyone have suggestions on a smokeless powder and bullet combination for a Savage 10ML-II? Just picked one up, and plan on working up a load as soon as I get it scoped.

Here are a couple that has proven to be good shooting loads.

This is a load that I liked real well in one of my 10ML-II's:

Barnes Original 45cal. (.458�) 300gr. semi-spitzer (Product SKU: ORI-457010)
MMP Orange HPH Sabot:
Winchester W209 primer
44gr. of Accurate 5744

This is a load that my brother-in-law shoots through his:

Hornady FTX 45cal. (.452�) 250gr. semi-spitzer (Product SKU: 45201)
MMP Black Sabot:
Winchester W209 primer
39gr. of IMR SR4759
Posted By: rusty25 Re: Savage 10ML-II loads... - 09/15/11
Thanks for all the input. Ordered a few different bullets today...now to pick up some powder and see how it shoots.
© 24hourcampfire