Home
Hello all,

I am looking to use Blackhorn 209 in my Dad's Omega this year. What is the best primer for BH209?

ddj
The best primer is the primer that fits your nipple the best. A good snug fit to stop any blow by. That will be your best primer. The 209's are different in size. Tom.
Federal or CCI MAGNUM
+1 on the CCI Magnums for BlackHorn 209.
I have the CCI-M's at home. I'll give them a try this afternoon.

ddj
cci mag for me as well
regular old winchesters work great in my triumph with 90grns of blackhorn
The WINCHESTERS are not hot enough in cold weather,
They were my standard w/Pyrodex P in my Knight, but failed
to ignite the BH below 30 degrees in my Prohunter.
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Hello all,

I am looking to use Blackhorn 209 in my Dad's Omega this year. What is the best primer for BH209?

ddj

See: http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

Federal 209A's are generally the best, CCI 209M are good also.
CCI 209Ms have worked very well in my Omega. That said, Win 209 seal much better and have ignited the BH209 just as well as the CCI 209Ms.

I've used Win 209s for years in a ML10 as they seal the best and have always offered instant ignition with multiple smokeless powders from slow to fast.

I simply use the 209Ms in the Omega due to internet hype on the matter.
I have had great success with standard Winchester 209's in my Omega .45. Load is 85 grains, by volume, under a 275 grain powerbelt.

No need for magnums unless you are shooting over 110 grains or so of powder.
i have personally experienced TC/BH209 misfires while shooting under 110 grains of powder, as well as seen my hunting partner go through the same thing. the folks at Western Powders are very helpful. they recommend reaming the TC breech plug and using CCI209M primers. once i did that, i have not had any issues.

if you have a Knight, you're good to go. those are the two i can speak of with personal experience.

it's hard to make a blanket statement about it though, because one person might not have any trouble and another one will.

if i already had primers, i'd spend some time with them at the range. if they work, fine. if not, try the CCI209M.

if you don't have any primers and have to buy some anyway, just buy the 209M's. i bought 1000 of them for next to nothing.
Past weekend, I was trying 100gr of BH209 with CCI 209 standard primers. 50% fired, 50% did not. Several that fired, were delayed hangfires. The ones that did not fire initially, all fired with a second attempt. I didn't have any CCI 209 Magnums, but I sure do now. The temp was 45 degrees, shooting out of a CVA Optima, 240gr Hornady XTPs in Harvester green sabots.

Originally Posted by JoeHarley13
Past weekend, I was trying 100gr of BH209 with CCI 209 standard primers. 50% fired, 50% did not. Several that fired, were delayed hangfires. The ones that did not fire initially, all fired with a second attempt. I didn't have any CCI 209 Magnums, but I sure do now. The temp was 45 degrees, shooting out of a CVA Optima, 240gr Hornady XTPs in Harvester green sabots.

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/cva-muzzle-loaders-keepem-clean.html

Hey when you guys get misfires where the primer goes off but the load doesnt. Make sure you re-seat your projectile! The CCI Mag normally drives the bullet a good 7" off the charge. Failure to do so could result in a bulged barrel or an exploded barrel due to the air gap between the projectile and powder charge.
CCI 209Ms have worked very well in my Omega. That said, Win 209 seal much better and have ignited the BH209 just as well as the CCI 209Ms.
Same findings for me I roll with the Win 209's
The new BH 209 BP that CVA offers works perfect. I was shooting 65 gr of BH yesterday with no problems with regular CCI primers. Magnum not needed.

The Omega BP will also shoot any primer.
Several of us have used BH the last several yrs with 100-120 grs of powder with Win. 209s.... T/C Prohunters and one T/C Triumph. Lots of big Iowa brusiers have feel to this combo with Barnes spit-fire bullets.
© 24hourcampfire