Home
Posted By: DigitalDan Did something once... - 11/17/11
that I'll not do again.

Two days back a neighbor called and told me the charge was stuck in his T/C Triumph ML. He said it had been loaded for a couple of weeks.

My hammer and his rod dislodged the charge without getting aggressive. He swore the gun had been clean when he loaded it. Not a snowball's chance in Hell. Thing had not been cleaned since his sight in back late September.

He shoots Pyrodex pellets and admitted in a round about way that he had been using Hoppes to clean it. Question I put to him was when? Never saw such filth in a barrel in my life.

Soapy water, patches, Kroil, bronze brush, soapy water, patches, oil, patches. The rust that came out of that thing would gag ya. frown

End of the day, light to moderate pitting forward of the breech plug for about 2-3" and the rest cleaned up OK. Gun is just over a year old...

First and last time for me doin' that. No excuse for crap like that, even if it is an inline.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
No excuse for crap like that

sick
Posted By: Double30 Re: Did something once... - 11/18/11
Just an observation. It seems that if you're gonna shoot muzzleloaders you have to get serious about it and forget what you know about breechloaders.So many treat their frontstuffers like their regular rifles and we know what that leads to...There's too many things that are different about muzzleloaders, things like CLEANING, loading, shooting technique ( if your trigger and breath control, grip consistency and bench technique suck, NOTHING will show it better than a muzzleloader).Muzzleloading , inline or traditional, is a whole different world. i think its a better one!
We can only imagine the ceaseless care required of their blackpowder arms by all the generations before us!

I have read that Wild Bill Hickock cleaned and cared for his blackpowder revolvers daily.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Did something once... - 11/18/11
Originally Posted by Double30
Just an observation. It seems that if you're gonna shoot muzzleloaders you have to get serious about it and forget what you know about breechloaders.So many treat their frontstuffers like their regular rifles and we know what that leads to...There's too many things that are different about muzzleloaders, things like CLEANING, loading, shooting technique ( if your trigger and breath control, grip consistency and bench technique suck, NOTHING will show it better than a muzzleloader).Muzzleloading , inline or traditional, is a whole different world. i think its a better one!

+100
Posted By: BrentD Re: Did something once... - 11/18/11
Originally Posted by IdahoElkHunter
We can only imagine the ceaseless care required of their blackpowder arms by all the generations before us!

I have read that Wild Bill Hickock cleaned and cared for his blackpowder revolvers daily.

There is that perception. Unfortunately for many, they never realize how misinformed that perception really is.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Did something once... - 11/19/11
you shoulda just hit him in the mouth because a triumph is about as easy as it gets to clean.
Posted By: nwtflogan Re: Did something once... - 11/20/11
n thats why is shoot smokeless at 2800+fps.....lol..... i always clean my rifle but if ya dont right away.this is avoided!!!!
Take away all his guns, and tell him to take up golf.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Did something once... - 11/22/11
Originally Posted by srwshooter
you shoulda just hit him in the mouth because a triumph is about as easy as it gets to clean.

Correct on the second point and a good suggestion on the first. laugh
© 24hourcampfire