Home
Posted By: 7mmStwer Pyrodex Pellets shelf life?? - 01/03/13
While looking for something else today, I found an unopened box of 50 cal/50 grain Pyrodex pellets - I believe they are 4-5 years old. Are they any good anymore?
Hard to say .Its where they were keep an if unopen . I would say yes After 2 years ago the talks I had with IMR an Hodgens I would not buy them again loose powder for me thanks
mine used to get crumbly and seemingly hygroscopic

after only a couple years

but I've had this debate before with the resident FKIAs

then again, I don't reside in a desert fantasy land with 5% humidity
Thanks for your help guys. Just wondered as I had never thought of that before. Took them out to the range today & shot some - still firm & looked good. Shots grouped the same as fresh ones at 50 & 100 yards. Don't know velocity, but with the same groups......
Posted By: Tulie Re: Pyrodex Pellets shelf life?? - 01/04/13
I was going to mention the humidity part as well. I do live in a very low humidity area and honestly I gave a couple of boxes of pellets to a buddy maybe 4 years ago. We shot some of them this past summer and they were just fine. I would bet storage conditions and especially humidity are the key.
I agree with Tulie, storage conditions play a major part in their shelf life. I have had some for 6 years. After each season I put the container they came in a food saver bag and vacuum seal them. Keeps the dampness out.
© 24hourcampfire