Home
Okay,
I'm an experienced handloader, cast my own boolits, etc. It's time to get into muzzleloading. I already have a TC Encore frame that I enjoy using as a hand rifle. Should I purchase the Encore .50 cal barrel and forend and simply use that? Or should I spend the same amount of money on a dedicated muzzleloader? What are the easier options for cleaning as well as the obvious needs of reliability and accuracy. Let me have your opinions - good and bad!
Get a barrel from SMI. They use Douglas Premium grade barrels. Bullberry also makes a top quality ML barrel for the Encores but its very expensive.

The SMI Encore barrel is rated for smokeless powder but works fine with all subs also. They are only offered in blue but if you use smokeless, its not an issue. Smokeless is by far the easiest to clean. It does take a long time to get one though but they are worth the wait.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/
Whew - $475 for a ML barrel on my Encore is more than I'm looking to pay. But it's very tempting. I hadn't thought about custom options - time for more research!
I think Bergara makes a 50cal ML barrel for the Encore and its much more affordable. Reviews are very good also. They are under $275 for SS i think but you will still need a new front stock too.
I like mine, and I have both T/C and Bergara barrels.
Just google Encore Classifieds or get one ebay. The Bergara barrels should be avoided. T/C barrels are safe to shoot and inexpensive.
If you ever want to shoot conicals (like a hunt in Colorado) get another gun. T/C guns are NOT designed to shoot conicals, but they shoot sabots great. So if only sabots, get the encore and you are good to go. A Bergara barrel or a whole new gun would be better if conical bullets are in your future.

There are usually always those that disagree with my opinion of T/C guns on shooting conicals to which I say: call T/C and ask them and they will tell you the same thing.
if its the enccore just buy the Bergara for it, it will shoot conicals and sabots very well.

Dont worry about swampman700, hes a mental case that needs help badly as you can tell from the other thread.
I am in process of putting together an encore ML with a bergara barrel i am getting from bellm. I want it to be colorado-ready. Just ordered the barrel and it will be a few weeks, and havent even ordered my frame yet, so cant really offer any feedback.
I can't believe you guys buy that stuff.
shortmag, are you going to go with a peep sight or factory sights?
Swampy,

BigBlock455 has demonstrated over the years he knows what he speaks and his words can be trusted and he has proved his DEEDS many times..,end of story.

Doc
I solved the problem. American Knight rifle in the classifieds, accessories and scope, $120 shipped to my door. Done.
good deal, get you a BUNCH of cleaning patches though LOL. Messy guns.
Originally Posted by bigblock455
shortmag, are you going to go with a peep sight or factory sights?

I am going to scope it for use in the carolinas for deer but will also go with a back up style peep for when my friend invites me back to his ranch in CO. Either talley peep on one of their bases or xs ghost ring on a weaver base

I am going to wait until i have the barrel and frame in hand before i decide as i am picky about my scope mounting

Not to hijack the thread, but is blackhorn 209 the way to go? My father in law gave me some hornady great plains 385gr bullets he had. Figure i will try them first since i have them
Hijack away - I've been doing lots of internet reading and keep seeing Blackhorn 209 - is this another substitute option? I'm also looking at getting a good peep for the American Knight rifle. So I'll join you in hacking my own thread.
with the rifle you got, BH209 will not work in it.

T7, Pyrodex, goex will do fine though.

Check out the Williams peep sight, very inexpensive but excellent quality.
Originally Posted by bigblock455
with the rifle you got, BH209 will not work.

Tell me more. I bought a different breach plug so that I can use bh209
Well, at least that narrows the possibilities...
And why exactly can I not use BH 209? Would I be able to if I bought the 209 conversion kit? Or is it something inherent in the design of the firearm? Thanks!
And I've looked at all of the peep sight options. The Williams FP is definitely the most appealing and least expensive of them, other than the WRGS, but I want the peep on the receiver, not out where the rear sight is currently.
The williams peep mounts on the rear scope mount holes. BH209 is not recommended in plunger guns but some guys have good results with no more than 80gr.
Originally Posted by Overkill45
The williams peep mounts on the rear scope mount holes. BH209 is not recommended in plunger guns but some guys have good results with no more than 80gr.

I know the FP Williams peepe mounts on the rear scope mount, but does the WGRS? And do I need to get a different front sight arrangement in order to use the Williams peep options?
Yes, they both mount in the same spot. The factory front site should work but i cant say for sure. I know the FP works with the front site on a MK and LK. I dont know much about the American Knight.
I just found a deal on the Williams FP. It looks like they have them in SS too.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/881130.htm
Thanks Overkill - I just ordered it!!!
IIRC those come in old Knight packaging but they are a Williams FP. The description is wrong. It only fits Knight round top plunger guns. It does not fit the MKs or the DISCs.

It will fit an American. They are a early version of the LK, Wolverine and Bighorn which are all round tops.
Perfect.
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
Swampy,

BigBlock455 has demonstrated over the years he knows what he speaks and his words can be trusted and he has proved his DEEDS many times..,end of story.

Doc

Horse $hit.....
Pretty convincing coming from a guy whose favorite muzzleloader is a "bolt-action" LMAO.
I need accuracy and safety. I don't expect you to get that.
you need a good ass kicking is what you DO need IMO.
Guys, just do what I did and put him on your "ignore" list.
Originally Posted by txhunter58

Best advice yet ..I finally did it.
I've PM conversed with Swampy. You do realize that he has a lot of fun getting you all riled up, right? I think he's bored...
Originally Posted by selmer
I've PM conversed with Swampy. You do realize that he has a lot of fun getting you all riled up, right? I think he's bored...

So he is acknowledging he has a mental problem. We are at this forum to discuss Muzzleloaders not to have some pyscopath continually pound some kind of message 24/7. He is a [bleep] pyscopath.
This is actually my first time wading into the Muzzleloader forum. I wondered where he was venting his energy, I hadn't seen it around too many other parts of the board. And having fun getting people riled up is hardly a mental problem. I actually picture a somewhat bored older fellow with a big grin on his face watching all of you react to him. grin My experience with him is that he is harmless, sticks to his opinions like stink on a dead skunk, and the more one tries to change his opinion, the more stubborn he gets. I think it's interesting that he doesn't resort to foul language or name-calling, but yet can stick a burr under dozens of guys' saddles with just a few words. It might be a gift! An annoying one, but it takes some skill and tenacity. I've learned to laugh at swampy and his antics, you might do well to also. Or just put him on ignore - that works for a lot of people. smile Peace!
So I did a little swampy searching in the ML forum. Yep, his energy and antics are alive and well here too, I see. I forgot to add that he's either a pathological liar or just tosses out braggadacio to get everyone riled up. I'm actually inclined to believe the latter. He's not all that different from that guy you walk away from at the gun counter who has done everything and knows everything. But you can't get away from him here. So just roll with it, ignore what you want, respond to what you can't ignore, and have the wisdom to know the difference.
So I did a little swampy searching in the ML forum. Yep, his energy and antics are alive and well here too, I see. I forgot to add that he's either a pathological liar or just tosses out braggadacio to get everyone riled up. I'm actually inclined to believe the latter. He's not all that different from that guy you walk away from at the gun counter who has done everything and knows everything. But you can't get away from him here. So just roll with it, ignore what you want, respond to what you can't ignore, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

He is on ignore and others would be wise to do likewise. He doesn't add to any topic posted here. Most of the topics here are very civil until this clown gets involved.

Swampy doesn't get me riled up, quite the contrary.

But I know he gets riled when I point out his choice for a muzzleloader "action" is about as useful as teats on a boar.

And you're a little off-base in saying he doesn't resort to name-calling; he resorts to it when he gets riled.
DFTFT

And talking about him is almost the same as feeding

Ignore means ignore

Totally
Who died and appointed you moderator.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Who died and appointed you moderator.

God, obviously, since He's gone missing in schools, the Dem Party and the White House.

I never had Swamp on ignore till this thread. You can do whatever you want but I try to get knowledgeable information on things but when someone is putting out false Scheitt just to rile others up, it devalues the whole thread IMO. YMMV
Just trying to keep you girls from hurting yourself.

I have nearly all of you on ignore.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

So you're a peeker too. Shame on you

Hurt our precious hides? This'll probably leave a mark on our relationship...

[Linked Image]

Swampy,

Doc

Horse $hit.....

Like you have any credability on the campfire....GEEZZZ

Doc
Originally Posted by M99ER

So you're a peeker too. Shame on you

Hurt our precious hides? This'll probably leave a mark on our relationship...

[Linked Image]

Yep but people continue to buy and push this dangerous junk.
Swampy,

Doc

Horse $hit.....

Like you have any credability on the campfire....GEEZZZ

Doc

So are you getting free stuff from CVA too? Seems like you've sold out??? Free stuff can sway some folks.
I got a free "bolt-action" muzzleloader once. I use it as a breaker bar. Works OK.
Were you able to pry your head out of your ass yet?
I'm so glad I could pull all of you together for another day of feeling better about yourselves...
Just like to ensure that folks know why some endorse this stuff. Getting paid (free stuff)is the only reason anybody would.
Were you able to pry your head out of your ass yet?

I tried but your lips kept encircling the shaft. Like they'd done it before.
Another good thread absolutely ruined by someone that should have been permanently banned on 11/15/08.

10479 totally useless posts.
Well, I hope Selmer got what he needed.
I hope he doesn't buy anything made in Spain for safety reasons.
I hope he doesn't buy anything with a "bolt-action" because a bolt on a muzzleloader is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
Originally Posted by smokepole
I hope he doesn't buy anything with a "bolt-action" because a bolt on a muzzleloader is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Yeah you need those 2 contact surfaces to bear evenly to keep that "cartridge" aligned properly and all grin. Not to mention I love to clean out hard to reach lug recesses and still have substandard accuracy. Don't get any better grin

Think the same people that buy into bolt action muzzleloading rifles probably buy buttout tools for field dressing.
Buy?? Hell, I think he invented 'em. That and the golf cart winch. That thing is great for draggin 'em out of "hell holes" where no one else ventures and the big bucks live.
So...are there any modern muzzleloaders that don't have any blowback from the breech area? I haven't fired my Knight American Knight Rifle yet, but it's pretty obvious that I'll have blowback through the nipple, right?
Whew - $475 for a ML barrel on my Encore is more than I'm looking to pay. But it's very tempting. I hadn't thought about custom options - time for more research!

If you consider the cost of shooting smokeless powder in a muzzleloader is at least 50% less than 777 or anything else, the savings add up fast if you do any shooting.

I own a Savage muzzleloader and I shoot smokeless powder thru it and it is heads and shoulders better than any other alternative. No smoke, no mess, no rust, less cost, more accurate, faster velocities, etc.
I picked up the AKR for a song to try out as an intro to muzzleloading. If I enjoy it as much as I do my other reloading and shooting ventures, I may invest in a different option. But I purchased it primarily to extend my Minnesota deer hunting option for punching a tag later in the season, as the MN shotgun season overlaps with my South Dakota West River hunt so I want to maximize hunting options and time, and this fills that need.
© 24hourcampfire