Home
I did a little jackrabbit shooting last week with my flintlock Trade Gun. This Trade Gun is a Chief's Grade from North Star West, smooth bore .62 cal / 20 gauge.

I was loading 70 grains of FF Goex black powder under 1 1/8 ounces of #6 shot. The gun is a straight cylinder bore, no choke at all, so I had to be quick on the shots. Those jackrabbits can get out of range in about three jumps.

[Linked Image]

I had not been drinking, my cheeks are red because it was 13 degrees with a wind chill reported at -2 degrees Saturday. That white stuff on the ground was sleet!

Smoked rabbit!
Posted By: Qtip Re: Jackrabbits with a Trade Gun - 03/08/14
Nice prairie dog!

Nice gun and accouterments too!

I heard Matt makes a top quality trade gun.

How does it do with round balls?

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
At 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

Matt does good work. Can't go wrong with one of his guns.
Nice!!
I have the NSW Early English that is jugged. Throws a wicked pattern for Turkey but I haven't dialed it in for roundballs.
What load? What FPS with the RB?
Posted By: Qtip Re: Jackrabbits with a Trade Gun - 03/09/14
bucktales,

Any pictures of the NSW Early English?

Nice shooting with round balls there prairie dog!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip,
My Early English is "antiqued" and has a 36" barrel.

[Linked Image]
Very Nice!!
The loads I am shooting are 70 grains FF Goex, .015 ticking patches, and a cast .600 round ball.

The shot loads are 70 grains FF Goex, over powder card, lubed wad torn into four or five layers and re-stacked, 1 1/8 ounces # 6 shot, over shot card with a hole poked through the center with the vent pick.

The gun will shoot heavier powder charges well but it doesn't seem to need more than 70 grains to pattern / group well.

Kills jackrabbits just fine too.
Nice bird Qtip. I hope to get one with my Chief's Gun this spring.

I'm going to load # 7 1/2 shot for that application.
Posted By: Qtip Re: Jackrabbits with a Trade Gun - 03/10/14
bucktales,

Nice gobbler! Nice gun too!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
NICE job. well done on the hunt , nothing like it . cold crisp air and then you add the BP smoke from a flintlock . just cant beat that kind of day
Good to see other rocklock shooters out there. I hunt almost exclusively with a Lancaster county style .50 cal flintlock. 65 grains of 3f, ticking patch with olive oil/ bees wax lube, and a .490 ball. Puts deer in the truck.
© 24hourcampfire