Home
Posted By: ctw Thompson Center Hawken Breech Plug - 12/15/16
Morning
Hoping someone here may have a lead on a 15/16 breech plug for the Hawken rifle? I see a few places on line that list them but all are back ordered. In need to fit and old barrel to my fathers rifle hoping one of you guys here has one or could point me in the right direction
Thanks Chris
Curious as-to why was the original breechplug was removed. They are supposed to be a permanent fixture of the ML that never gets removed.

For this reason, that part is few & far-between. Good luck finding it.
Track of the Wolf lists them as Out of Stock now but you can ask to be notified when they come in. I have no idea when that might be.

Pecatonica, maybe? http://www.longrifles-pr.com/breechplugs.shtml
Might try Joe Williams.
The Gun Works in Springfield Oregon.
If anyone has any or know where to get them it's probably Joe.
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Curious as-to why was the original breechplug was removed. They are supposed to be a permanent fixture of the ML that never gets removed.

For this reason, that part is few & far-between. Good luck finding it.

You haven't been around long......T/C used to sell a "wrench" specifically to remove the breech plugs on their sidelocks, back when sidelocks were all they made. One of the reasons you find them with scared up barrels..

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the leads , but no luck I tried green mountain thinking they may still have a few but they said that tc discontinued the plug and they stopped making drop in barrels. I will call out to Joe and inquire.
The original barrel is with the rifle and was trying to avoid removing that plug because I had heard it could end badly. I removed it without incident so will have it to fit to the barrel.
The original barrel did not have the rate of twist he desired.
Thanks Chris
The Gun Works in Oregon will build you a barrel, just send the stock and lock. I had them build me a .54, 1-60" barrel, its a very good shooter.
Originally Posted by ctw
Thanks for the leads , but no luck I tried green mountain thinking they may still have a few but they said that tc discontinued the plug and they stopped making drop in barrels. I will call out to Joe and inquire.
The original barrel is with the rifle and was trying to avoid removing that plug because I had heard it could end badly. I removed it without incident so will have it to fit to the barrel.
The original barrel did not have the rate of twist he desired.
Thanks Chris

If you have the breech plug, the rest is EASY. You could have the barrel rebored, or another barrel fitted, and be right where you want to be.
Originally Posted by ctw
,,,and they stopped making drop in barrels.
Thanks Chris

Green mountain stopped making drop in replacement ML barrels?!

WHY!? When? damn. Thats a shame.
I will check my parts bin in the morning. I remember using a 45 "hawken" barrel sans breech plug when building up a cape gun some 35 years ago. Plug might be there. I know I have a couple of the wrenches.
The plus has 11/16 by 20 threads not common by any stretch on the hunt for a bottom tap I may have to order one off the net.
Thanks Chris
I am 99% sure they had them at Dixons Muzzle loaders in Kempton PA. I saw them last week in the case with locks.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

© 24hourcampfire