Home
Posted By: carbon12 Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/01/17
Anyone just add household vinegar to regular Windex for cleaning BP fouling?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/01/17
I just use use Windex. What would vinegar add to it? You can only get it so clean.
Carbon,
I would be leery of the vinegar as the acid could do some nasty things to bluing/browing if it found its way into the stock next to the barrel or lock.

I'm not sure what you'd gain by adding the vinegar except possibly some kinds of animal fat patch lube might dissolve easier(?) . Windex and some of the commercial cleaners do a really good job.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/01/17
The Windex with Vinegar was something that Venturino found to be particularly effective which he wrote about several times. I tried it and it as good as he said. My bottle is getting low and now I am having trouble finding more locally.
Carbon,

Mike knows whereof he speaks when it comes to BP...

Was he referencing cleaning the bore with the vinegar solution or was he talking about cleaning cases? I have used it on BPCR brass and it did seem to work pretty well.

I just don't like the thought of anything that acidic coming in contact with the finished surface of the metal for any length of time. YMMV!
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/01/17
[quote=Johnny Dollar
Was he referencing cleaning the bore with the vinegar solution or was he talking about cleaning cases? [/quote]

MV wrote specifically about using the Windex w/ Vinegar-D spray to moisten patches used to swab out BP bore fouling. IIRC, he also mentioned to use the vinegar containing product and not to be confused with the ammonia containing product.

I've not experienced any issues with corrosion on the metal nor damage to the wood finish since using the Windex with Vinegar.
Good Stuff to Know!! I am going to trip do the local Wally World (shudder) and pick up some.

Thank you, Carbon 12
I use the Windex w/ vinegar pre-mix for BPCR and muzzleloaders - simple, works well ... and the mix doesn't freeze, so I leave it in the iron horse.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/03/17
I use car windshield washing fluid with a dab of dawn. It does not freeze, and it does a really good job of cleaning at the range. I use a damp wipe between shots, and a heavy clean when I get ready to leave. At home Dawn in warm water. My barrels are always like new.
Posted By: nick Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/03/17
I've used the Widex w/vinegar with good results. Don't know what vinegar adds to cleaning the bore, and I think it more of use Windex w/vinegar and DO NOT use Windex with Ammonia.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/03/17
Wife found and bought a 10 year supply of Windex plus vinegar at the local Target store. GTG.

For those interested, link to a castboolits thread on MV's Windex recipe:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63069-Recipe-for-Mike-Venturino-s-bore-cleaner-Windex
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/03/17
Wonder if anyone has actually done a test of cleaning with Windex and then going back and cleaning with Windex /vinegar to see if more fouling was present
Can't say as to whether there's any "accuracy" difference,.....but
Ammonia is something one doesn't want anywhere his prized (and damned expensive) BPCR brass.
Leaches zinc, chemically.

The confusion in the link from castboolits about where isopropyl alky comes into alla' this needs clarification / explanation here.
BPCR, BPCRLR, and Creedmoor shooters that "wipe every shot" will develop there own regimens, very much influenced by regional weather, .....heat, humidity, ambient temps .
Some years back in Az., we were using a wet windex vinegar patch, and then a patch or two damp with isopropyl alky and Murphy's oil soap,....some than dry patched and chamber swabbed. squadded on two relays sharing the same berm, I've watched Mike Venturino running his Sharps this way,....and later discussed the rationales therefor in the pits. Nice guy, Mr. Venturino,....knows his schidt, when it comes to BP.

GTC
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/03/17
I like Murphys. All I ever put in with the water. If I put anything in it at all.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
Vinegar Windex is the very best BP cleaner I've ever used. Have not had to do the boiling water/dish soap cleansing in 20+ years and not a speck of rust or corrosion ever.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
I've found a 1-4 Ballistol/water mix to be very effective in MLs. A bonus is that steel won't rust in a 1-10 mix, so the 1-4 is even more better. Another bonus is that after cleaning, straight Ballistol will mix with any residual mix that might be lurking in the nooks and crannies.

That combo kept my flinter pristine some years back, and it's how I plan to run my "new" Renegade, which will only be fed BP.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
Still,no one has explained just what vinegar does to make it a good additive to Windex. Curious minds want to know
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've found a 1-4 Ballistol/water mix to be very effective in MLs. A bonus is that steel won't rust in a 1-10 mix, so the 1-4 is even more better. Another bonus is that after cleaning, straight Ballistol will mix with any residual mix that might be lurking in the nooks and crannies.

That combo kept my flinter pristine some years back, and it's how I plan to run my "new" Renegade, which will only be fed BP.

Good stuff here. The guys at a local muzzleloader club I used to belong to turned me onto this. Wipe my blades and leather down with it too.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Still,no one has explained just what vinegar does to make it a good additive to Windex. Curious minds want to know

Black Powder residues are ACIDIC

Vinegar is ALKALINE, .........neutralizes the acid.

GTC
Posted By: smokepole Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

Vinegar contains acetic acid. It's acidic, not alkaline.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/04/17
Originally Posted by smokepole

GTC

That is sure what I always thought.
Not enough coffee,.....Vinegar is acidic for sure

.has anybody got a handle on the stuff MV wrote about this for SPG's "Black Powder Cartridge News", originally,.....IIRC, it was picked up by Muzzle Blasts and printed there, too.

Something to do with it's "sliptivity" or surfactant qualities ?

I CAN tell you that it works, and will look forward to seeing the chemistry of the deal thrashed out,...if and when,

GTC

GTC

Given that I've been killing weeds with the 20% "Agricultural Strength" vinegar for a few years now,......a true "
WTF, how did I screw that up," moment followed your timely observation,.....

....tell ya what,....you don't want to put that stuff on your salad
Posted By: smokepole Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/05/17
Not enough coffee,.....

Coffee is acidic too but it's no good on black powder residue..... grin
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/05/17
Im Just not that much of a fan of putting soap down the barrel of my rifles. Murphy' oil soap being the exception. And it in pretty watered down doses.

Most time I clean with just plain water. But do what works best for ya ! 😁
Posted By: fish head Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/05/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Im Just not that much of a fan of putting soap down the barrel of my rifles. Murphy' oil soap being the exception. And it in pretty watered down doses.

Most time I clean with just plain water. But do what works best for ya ! 😁

What ^^^ he said.

It's amazing how much fouling can be removed with just plain H2O with water soluble propellants.

It even works on smokeless powders.
Originally Posted by carbon12
Anyone just add household vinegar to regular Windex for cleaning BP fouling?

Only use for cleaning if you aren't leaving copper, lead, plastic or carbon in the bore. Only thing vinegar cleans is powder fouling.
Not enough coffee,.....

Coffee is acidic too but it's no good on black powder residue..... grin

Agree
Try dried Coffee grounds for buffering your BP brass shotshell loads,......it's just the ticket .
Made smokeless "square shot" loads for starling and magpie control up on Alberta, seemed to get through thick brush better than regular shot,....or at least so we had convinced ourselves. The coffee ground buffering kept the barrels beautifully clean.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/07/17
One of these days I'm gonna have to get a bp cartridge rifle.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/09/17
In the kitchen...at your TAP!!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/09/17
One of these days I'm gonna have to get a bp cartridge rifle.

Yes, yes you are. grin

Be warned, though, it is an addiction stronger than any other known to man. eek

Ed
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/22/17

GTC

Nope.

Vinegar is dilute acetic acid.

I used vinegar on my hawkin about 15 years ago at the recommend of someone (forgot who) and it ruined the bore. Took the blue right off, and the bore corroded in hours. Trashed the barrel. I havent heard anyone else complain of this before or since, so I am a sample of exactly one.

FWIW as a learning experience, at the time I was using Pyrodex Rs. It is humid, and I didnt wash it all out, i dry patched and then let it sit. The good news is the Green mntn barrel i replaced it with is better and was on sale, which I never would have found out had I not destroyed my barrel with a stupid experiment or negligence.

I use murhpy's and mostly hot water now.

Posted By: saddlesore Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/22/17
Just got a bottle of Apple cider vinegar. Says right on the label: 5% acetic acid
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/23/17
I got into the habit of de-mounting the barrel and taking it into the shower with me along with a rod and patches. Kills two birds with one stone. (Sometimes she objects when the black water runs between her toes though. Be forewarned.)
Posted By: Etoh Re: Windex with Vinegar-D - 06/26/17
ammonium hydroxide from the windex and acetic acid form the vinegar neutralize each other and form a buffer solution , called spirits of mindererus. Buffer would help neutralizes acids and bases in the barrel. Cleaning action is more likely due to the mono butyl ether in the Windex and laurel sulfate
© 24hourcampfire