Home
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing my new Lancaster flintlock. If I can figure how to attach photos.

She has a 40 caliber Rice A weight swamped barrel, Jim Chambers deluxe Siler lock, Chambers vent liner, Davis small slant back double set triggers, and a fairly nice plank of maple.

Attached picture 40cal2.jpg
Attached picture 40cal1.jpg
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/15/18
Stunning.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/15/18
Pretty thing.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/16/18
Stunning conversation piece or will it be hunted?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/16/18
That piece is not appropriate for shootin' prairie dawgs. Will trade for a a .25-20 lever gun.

Wow..........
It will be used for match shooting and small game hunting. Squirrels and bunnies will be the victims. I have plenty of ugly rifles for big game.
Posted By: szihn Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/16/18
Nicely done sir!
smile
Posted By: kellory Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/16/18
Well done sir. You are a fine craftsman.
Originally Posted by kellory
Well done sir. You are a fine craftsman.

Not me! I had it commissioned. My friend who built it is the fine craftsman!
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/16/18
Very nice
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/19/18
Very nice rifle PDS!!!!!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/19/18
prairie dog shooter,

Beautifully done! The Lancaster is the best of the best for style and function! Mine is a .54 and I think that it is perfect for chasing elk and deer, but just a bit too much for hunting paper bullseyes as I do most of the time nowadays.

What color stain did your 'smith use on the stock? I am thinking of a John Vincent Ohio style half-stock in .40 or .45 for killing the ferocious 10 ring and that is exactly the color stock I'm looking for.
I think he used stain from Chambers. Not sure just how he mixed colors. At first it was a kind of brown with gold tones then red was added. The finish brought out the red even more. How he mixes and stains is one of those things he wont give much information about. I get close to his color with Laurel Mountain Forge stains. I like a coat of nut brown with maple over it to get that reddish brown color.
Posted By: R1150R Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/24/18
Very pretty
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/24/18
Well?? How does she shoot????

(Btw, .40 is one of my favorites!!!!)
I hope to get it to the range Saturday. It weighs just 6 pounds 8 ounces and balances perfectly.

Attached picture reduced.jpg
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/24/18
PDS,

With that Rice Swamped barrel approaching perfection in a nice carrying/hunting rifle!!!
I was able to get about 30 shots down range. She is a sweet shooter! I haven't adjusted sights or done a load work up yet but she likes a heavy patch. Fired patches showed some cutting on the thinner patching. Groups started to tighten and the last four shots were touching. Another 40 or 50 rounds should smooth it out and then serious load work and sight adjustments can be done. The ignition is fast! That Chambers lock sparks like a roman candle. I have enough confidence in it to shoot the gongs at the rendezvous this weekend.
What color stain did your 'smith use on the stock? I am thinking of a John Vincent Ohio style half-stock in .40 or .45 for killing the ferocious 10 ring and that is exactly the color stock I'm looking for.

I saw a Vincent Ohio rifle my smith built for a customer about four years back. It was beautiful. He poured a pewter nose cap with three chevrons of exposed wood showing through. It handled and was balanced better than any Hawken style I have seen.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/27/18
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I was able to get about 30 shots down range. She is a sweet shooter! I haven't adjusted sights or done a load work up yet but she likes a heavy patch. Fired patches showed some cutting on the thinner patching. Groups started to tighten and the last four shots were touching. Another 40 or 50 rounds should smooth it out and then serious load work and sight adjustments can be done. The ignition is fast! That Chambers lock sparks like a roman candle. I have enough confidence in it to shoot the gongs at the rendezvous this weekend.

Excellent!!!
Posted By: Terryk Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/27/18
Sounds like a joy to own. Band those gongs.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Lancaster flintlock - 03/31/18
That's a beauty for sure. Congratulations on a keepsake quality firearm. Gorgeous.
Indeed, I did bang the gongs! She sure is sweet to shoot. Looking forward to doing some load work latter this week.

Attached picture small rondy.jpg
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/03/18
Great fun!!! Where was your little gathering?
In the Gila Nat. Forest near Truth and Consequences NM
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/03/18
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
In the Gila Nat. Forest near Truth and Consequences NM

Shining time!
Posted By: McClura Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/07/18
That's a very nice rifle. My friend in Victoria, TX builds some nice rifles. The ones I build are all plane grade maple, iron hardware but the best barrels, locks and triggers I can get. Most of them have been hunted since 1981 when I built most of them. They look like they have been drug behind a horse. I really like the grain in that stock. My .40 shoots a .400 ball, .010 patch and 50 gin of FFF for targets and small game. We can hunt deer in Oklahoma with a .40 and have taken one doe with it using 60grn of FFF. Good luck with your shooting and load development. That Gila area is a place I miss. Used to go out there with a few hunting buddies, blackpowder season and hunt deer, turkey and bear south of Reserve near Glenwood. It was some rough terrain. again, nice smoke pole. My pretty guns are some pistols I had made by Harold Yazel in the 80's. Fine target pistols, not too traditional but functional.
Take care and enjoy burning powder.

Mike
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/07/18
That almost makes me want to own a flintlock.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/07/18
Steelie, that tremble I just felt must be from a small tear in the fabric of the space time continuum. grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/07/18
Almost
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That almost makes me want to own a flintlock.

You would fall in love with them if you ever shot a good one!
Posted By: antlerfool Re: Lancaster flintlock - 04/09/18
Excellent !
© 24hourcampfire