Home
Posted By: Loggah William Mccarthy Kentucky rifle - 03/16/18
I have had a kentucky style muzzleloader for around 3 years,bought it off the daughter of a friend who died several years ago. It is a golden age style kentucky,42" barrel ,45 caliber i believe,never been shot to my knowledge, swamped barrel. The rifle was made in 1976 by a William Mccarthy,ithink it was made for the bicentennial,nice eagle, nice carving silver and brass,and mother of pearl inlays. I have not been able to find out anything about William Mccarthy,here are a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I was hoping some here could give me some information on William Mccarthy the maker of this fine rifle.thanks. Don
I don't have a clue but dadgum....that is a pretty rifle!!!!
Pretty. Very nice wood on that one.
It really has some nice grain in it. When you open the patchbox the raised grain inside is pretty rough.Back when i was logging,every spring during peeling season i used to find some pretty nice curly maple. Don
I would have to guess that rifle was made for William McCarthy, not made by...
The makers usually don't put their information on the thumb piece. That is a feature normally reserved for the owner's initials.
Would that also go for the name and date in what i assume is gold recessed in the barrel ? Like i said i really dont know much about this rifle,other then its a work of art that the maker must have been very proud of. Don
If you check with the guys on the traditional muzzleloading forum they will know the answer. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?

It is a very nicely done rifle, and those guys shoot and own a lot of those hand made muzzleloaders.

I also think that is probably the owners name. but----it doesn't take much for me to be wrong.! Maybe it was the makers own rifle!?

Ken
I think it's the makers rifle because of the initials on the wrist. Usually the makers name is on the barrel so maybe it was the makers own personal rifle.
It's a beautiful piece, I have one in similar style made for me by Jud Brennan in 1977. His name and date on the barrel and my initials on the wrist inlay.

[Linked Image]
Longhunter,That is a beautiful rifle, even if the lock is on the wrong side !! grin grin i really like the kentucky,pennsylvaina style rifles,they are definately the finest early american art !! i guess that this was the makers pesonal rifle,just cant find out anything about him,probably long gone. Don
Don,

Might also check with the Contemporary Longrifle Assn

https://www.longrifle.com

Damn nice looking rifle!!!!
I looked at the longrifle website and they had a longlist of modern makers names and mccarthy wasn't on it. the last two people who owned this rifle are long gone,i guess it will always be a mystery. Thanks all for trying to help. Don
Check with these guys:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php
Sure is pretty Don.
Roy,The pictures dont do the rifle justice, excellent woodworking with a lot of small silver inlays.
© 24hourcampfire