Home
Posted By: gophergunner Scope question - 07/11/18
A little enlightenment for the old goat here guys. Can I put a conventional 3x-9x scope on an inline ML or do I need to get a scope specifically designed for use with a ML?
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Scope question - 07/11/18
I should add that the scope I have available right now is one of those Brunton 3x-9x scopes I bought off of Doug at Cameraland.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Scope question - 07/11/18
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Can I put a conventional 3x-9x scope on an inline ML or do I need to get a scope specifically designed for use with a ML?

No - your scope should be fine, unless you are trying to match the bullet drops to a reticle - the MZ/shotgun scopes tend tend to have the ballistic drops spaced further apart in the vertical stack.

I've got both types mounted on in-lines, neither has made a "wow" in difference.

Ease/retention of zero has made more of a difference than what is on the reticle.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope question - 07/11/18
SG/ML scopes often have bold reticles and parallax set for shorter ranges. Some have extra aiming points for popular load levels. No big deal, unless you want to turn it into a .270. I've got a Leupold 2-7 VX-1 SG/ML on my Knight. So far so good at up to 100 yards, twice as far as I usually shoot with anything around here. Anything from a 1-4 to a 3-9 should be fine, or even a fixed 2.5, 4, or 6. Irons are good if you've got the eyes.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Scope question - 07/11/18
Yeah, it sounds like I'll be okay. I haven't shot a deer at over 100 yards in years.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Scope question - 07/12/18
May be state dependent. Here in Oregon scopes are not allowed for muzzleloader designated big game hunts. OK for use during normal rifle seasons though.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Scope question - 07/12/18
A dedicated muzzleloader scope is totally unnecessary. if you want a ballistic reticle, just shoot and mark the yardage. I simply use a 2-7 or 3-9 centerfire scope on all of mine.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Scope question - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by 1minute
May be state dependent. Here in Oregon scopes are not allowed for muzzleloader designated big game hunts. OK for use during normal rifle seasons though.

A good point-they just legalized scopes for ML's here in Mn. last year. 'Been carrying a CVA Hawkins for decades, but my vision's not as good as it used to be. Time to make the change to an in line.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope question - 07/12/18
If you're still shopping, look at the TC Strike deal from CDNN. I picked one up after being impressed with the ease of use while sighting in my son's last year.

I've got a fancy Knight Ultra Lite, but I'll be carrying the Strike come December. See my post here if you're interested. Only downside is the mount base, which needs replacing for most scopes. I used a scout model.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Scope question - 07/12/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you're still shopping, look at the TC Strike deal from CDNN. I picked one up after being impressed with the ease of use while sighting in my son's last year.

I've got a fancy Knight Ultra Lite, but I'll be carrying the Strike come December. See my post here if you're interested. Only downside is the mount base, which needs replacing for most scopes. I used a scout model.

x2

I have not shot my Strike yet as I am waiting on a mount that allows my scope to sit back a bit but lime Pappy said above, the factory mount works with a Scout style scope and from pics of us rifle/scope combo I like how the scope does not sit over the controls.

With the scope sitting forward the striker cocking mechanism and the opening latch are not under the scope making manipulation super easy.

I have a Nikon shotgun scope w BDC I will be mounting but am thinking once I save a bit more money I may try a Scout scope and see which I like better.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Scope question - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Pappy348

x2

I have not shot my Strike yet as I am waiting on a mount that allows my scope to sit back a bit but lime Pappy said above, the factory mount works with a Scout style scope and from pics of us rifle/scope combo I like how the scope does not sit over the controls.

With the scope sitting forward the striker cocking mechanism and the opening latch are not under the scope making manipulation super easy.

I have a Nikon shotgun scope w BDC I will be mounting but am thinking once I save a bit more money I may try a Scout scope and see which I like better.

Not that crazy about what you guys are saying about the scope mounting challenges with the TC, and I don't want a scout scope. I'm gonna go with the CVA.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Scope question - 07/17/18
No real challenge, buy a DNZ mount.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Scope question - 07/17/18
I just used extension rings on my LHR and didn't have a problem mounting a conventional scope
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope question - 07/17/18
Go forth, be happy, and slay.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Scope question - 07/17/18
Originally Posted by tmitch
I just used extension rings on my LHR and didn't have a problem mounting a conventional scope

Which brand of rings did you use?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Scope question - 07/18/18
Weaver

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire