Home
Posted By: crossotter Cleaning - 10/17/18
Been away from shooting a muzzleloader for quite awhile, what are you using for clean up ? Are any of the solvents working or are you still pumping hot soap and water? Does Ballistol work?
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Cleaning - 10/18/18
Ballistol and water works great. Smells funny, but it seems to me that it does a quicker job of cleaning.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cleaning - 10/18/18
HD, How much ballistol to how much water? May give it a try next go around. Soap and water seem to be working fine but don't mind trying something new for me.
Posted By: oldvet Re: Cleaning - 10/18/18
I use one part ballistol to five parts water. I use it for patch lube and cleaning.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Cleaning - 10/18/18
Thank you sir. Will give it a go.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Cleaning - 10/18/18
I use simple green and water. Soaps like dawn have salts, and simple green does not.
I have balistrol and Baracade, and I think rem oil works better. My personal observation. I only use real black powder and usually in a flintlock,
I think damp swab between shots helps cleaning, and a good flush before heading home for a final clean and lube. That may be as important as the solvents. Actually heading to the range now.
Posted By: crossotter Re: Cleaning - 10/19/18
Thanks for the input, I'll try those suggestions
Posted By: GoexWhiteHots Re: Cleaning - 12/24/18
Full strength Ballistol inside my ball/prelubed patch sidelock and .270 / .300WSM-type cleaners (Birchwood Casey) inside my inlines.

I will begin my sidelock cleaning ritual with a soapy water flush for the nipple/drum area. But that's only the first half of my sidelock cleaning ritual. I remove my nipple before power-flushing. I soak that nipple much-like I soak my inline breechplug..... inside a pre-filled vitamin or pill bottle with vinegar.

I then use the long-straw on the Birchwood Casey bore cleaner thru the little holes on the breechplug and nipple for final cleaning. I hold that nipple far away with needle-nose pliers, for fear of being splashed by the hard thrust of the spray.

I overkill / over-do my cleaning procession. Takes longer but it works like a charm.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Cleaning - 12/24/18
Windex for BP, 777, and Pyrodex. Hoppes or any other good nitro cleaning solvent for BH209
Posted By: stantdm Re: Cleaning - 12/24/18
There are a lot of combinations that work well. I have been using Windex and water for awhile now and it works. So does Ballistol, so do several commercial products. I am talking about traditional ML and real black powder as that is what I have.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Cleaning - 12/25/18
Same as I've used for over 40 years, hot water.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Cleaning - 12/25/18
Old skool………

Windex patches between shots and a bucket of hot water & Murphy's Oil Soap for the final cleanup...………….
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Cleaning - 12/25/18
Mr. Clean is pretty good too. For preservation I use Crisco inside and out.
© 24hourcampfire