Home
Posted By: nimrodtracy CVA Wolf and BH 209 report - 01/14/19
CVA Wolf with a 3-9 scope, Hornady 45 cal 300 grain XTP, Harvester 45 cal Crushed Rib Sabots, 100 grain BH 209 and Federal 209A primers gave me a 1 1/4" 4 shot group @ 100 yards today! Also I did my loads by volume so I wonder how much better it would shoot if I did my loads by weight?
That is very good shooting. My CVA Optima shoots best with Power Belt bullets.

Sherwood
That's great! I usually weigh out 12 charges in the little orange capped tubes that They sell for Blackhorn 209. If I shoot up all of these, then I measure with my Thompson Center see through powder measure. To be perfectly honest, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Ron
Posted By: willycc Re: CVA Wolf and BH 209 report - 01/17/19
If you have a good consistent method of measuring you will see no difference or your gun might even shoot better with measured charges.I've been using BH 209 since it first came available I stopped weighing years ago.
I AM GOING TO TRY THIS BLACK HORN IN NEW WOLF AND OPTIMA TO ME THAT IS NEW
I'm shooting a Optima V2 LR and my load consists of the same except Im using 90 grs BH209, volume measured. Fed 209A primer.. Those cutting the "orange" are the last two shots. I'm not going to weigh any charges. Just going to pay close attention to my measuring habit..Try to do things the same way every time..

Attached picture thumbnail (1).jpg
Attached picture thumbnail (2).jpg
Attached picture thumbnail.jpg
Why not use 2, 50 grain pellets? Triple 7 or Pyrodex.

I love my CVA Wolf and get similar results with pellets.
From what I have read the BH209 will allow you to fire quite a few bullets without having to clean, the bullets can be pushed down the bore easily. Triple 7 is a sugar based powder and the inline primers causes the carbon buildup where the bullet is seated.

I have a Rem UL that uses triple 7 pellets and the "crud ring" near the bottom makes it darn near impossible to load the second bullet and a third is just about impossible.
Posted By: OXN939 Re: CVA Wolf and BH 209 report - 12/06/19
When I shot 777, I'd swab with a "spit patch" in between every shot. I could get a second one loaded, but the amount of pressure it took to get it seated precluded any kind of consistency or accuracy.

BH209 is definitely cleaner than any other blackpowder substitute out there. You will still want to clean between shots if you're looking for any kind of accuracy, though. Just think of it this way- your bullet (or sabot, or gas check) is essentially like a squeegee, forcing the powder residue from the entire length of the bore into your freshly loaded charge. Of course you can get away with doing this, but it's light years better to at least run a bore snake in between rounds if possible. I also consistently get FTFs with BH209 if I don't clean my breech plug up every 4 or 5 rounds.
© 24hourcampfire