Home
Posted By: 270WSMANIC That darned breech plug - 01/15/19
Several years ago when I first got my CVA 50 Buckhorn, I was treating my breech plug like my buddys showed me with neverseize, a messy mixture of grease and graphite.While shooting the gun I noticed a greasy mess forming on the bottom of the scope over the primer area. Following advice form someone, I believe here on the Campfire I switched to Teflon tape, or plumbers tape and never looked back. No more mess on scope no black graphite mess on everything when cleaning the gun.
Question my buddys insist on using the neverseize and fight to get all the black out of the breechplug threads. What do all of you all use on those threads?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: That darned breech plug - 01/15/19
I use the TC breech plug grease. After having to send a muzzle,loader back to TC to get the breech plug out, cleaning is small effort to pay to not put up with the grief
Posted By: stomatador Re: That darned breech plug - 01/16/19
I've used TC breech plug grease, gray teflon tape and Hornady TAP One Shot HD Extreme. One Shot makes it easy to clean the residue off the breech plug. At this time I spray the entire outside of the plug with One Shot then smear some grease on the threads and wrap it with teflon tape.
Posted By: dbowling Re: That darned breech plug - 01/17/19
gunsmith told me to use teflon tape and put a drop of oil on tape, works great.
Love using it on #11 nipples and vent liners as well.
I’ve always used the stuff T/C sells in a little squeeze tube for breech plugs, I’ve never had a problem getting one out or getting one clean.
I use the Teflon tape on the breech plug coated with the discontinued "Slick 50" grease which is heat resistant. Nary an issue after having a breech plug seised up with T/C replacing with a new barrel.
Posted By: 270WSMANIC Re: That darned breech plug - 01/17/19
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
I’ve always used the stuff T/C sells in a little squeeze tube for breech plugs, I’ve never had a problem getting one out or getting one clean.

I neglected to clarify in my original post I meant the mess in the female threads in the barrel. They are hard to clean in my buckhorn and maybe some other inlines. I watched my hunt'en buddys get a dozen or so black cleaning patches thinking it was their barrel that wasn't coming clean. Turned out it was just the graphite grease from the female threads. They finally gave up and called it good, and reassembled their guns.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: That darned breech plug - 01/17/19
I use a 12 gauge shotgun brush in the breech of mine to clean those threads
Posted By: eblake Re: That darned breech plug - 01/17/19
I use the TC brush sold for that purpose with a patch and bore cleaner; twist it in and out a few times, then apply anti-seize lubricant. I've been using the same barrel on my Encore for nearly 20 years now with no problems.
Posted By: stomatador Re: That darned breech plug - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I use a 12 gauge shotgun brush in the breech of mine to clean those threads

Yep. I have mine in a drill.
© 24hourcampfire