Home
Posted By: Ohio7x57 I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/16/19
I shot this buck on Monday 1/7/19 in Lucas County Iowa. He was 117 yards away and dropped a where he stood. I was using my T/C Encore Pro Hunter FX with a 250 grain Hornady Monoflex ML bullet propelled by 77 grains by weight (110 grains by volume) of Blackhorn 209 ignited by a CCI 209M primer. Blackhorn 209 measures well, you can shoot multiple shots without swabbing the barrel, and it cleans up with Hoppes #9 solvent. One of the best things about Blackhorn 209 is that you can shoot a practice or fouling shot on Sunday, then hunt all week without worry of corrosion in the barrel. I'm sold!

Ron

[Linked Image]
Great looking Buck! Congrats
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/16/19
Thanks! It was a fun trip. My former co-worker and hunting buddy shot a mature 8 point the last evening of our hunt.

Ron
I am sold on Blackhorn too. I don't care if it costs more than any other common powders. My TC Encore would never shoot very accurate until I tried Black horn.

Great looking buck,Ron. Congratulations
I too have been using Blackhorn 209 for 6 years now with CVA Accura II. Dynamite combo. (must buy and use the Blackhorn version of the breach plug for hot enough ( proper) and consistent ignition.
The manufacturers caution that even though it boasts lots of advantages as a substitute to black powder, the residue after a shot is still corrosive to the bore, so it advises users to clean the bore at end of day with an oil based cleaning solvent either Blackhorn's (my choice) or other.....just not a water based solvent or soap and water as one would with real black powder.
Compared to Hodgdon's 777 powder with its issue's, Blackhorn 209 was the holy grail of substitute powders when introduced for in-line rifles. My local shop discontinued carrying Blackhorn 209 powder, they said they could not sell the powder as most of their customers "Never" heard of it. Really I replied!!
Originally Posted by Nearly_Out_Of_Time
I too have been using Blackhorn 209 for 6 years now with CVA Accura II. Dynamite combo. (must buy and use the Blackhorn version of the breach plug for hot enough ( proper) and consistent ignition.
The manufacturers caution that even though it boasts lots of advantages as a substitute to black powder, the residue after a shot is still corrosive to the bore, so it advises users to clean the bore at end of day with an oil based cleaning solvent either Blackhorn's (my choice) or other.....just not a water based solvent or soap and water as one would with real black powder.

Was told not to use BH 209 in my Buckhorn Magnum CVA 50, is the special breech plug available for the Buckhorn or no? It shoots great with777 but I always like to try new things. Or is it still not recommended for the Buckhorn at all?
If the one who told you not to use BH 209 was a retailer, then what he meant was that the original breech plug is not configured to
.1 receive a 209 primer and/or
2. its fire channel is not configured to deliver the hot charge needed to ignite BH 209.
He also was not in position to SELL you the appropriate breech plug sourced only through the Buckhorn company (on line or over the phone).
The special plug is an extra cost of course, but the resulting combination and its performance features produce the goal worth the cost.
I'm also a fan of this powder.
That's a nice looking deer, congrats.

Looks like you had a good day.
Posted By: willycc Re: I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/20/19
The reason you were told not to use Blackhorn 209 in your Buckhorn Magnum CVA 50is because its a plunger style gun.
I run the same combo, except 89 grains by weight and federal primers. I chronographed mine compared to my previous 777 and IMR white hots and gained 500 fps. Yes , 500 extra. My muzzle loader is a single shot 450 bushmaster, which I also hunt with. Love that powder. Just got done weighing out and labeling charges.
Originally Posted by willycc
The reason you were told not to use Blackhorn 209 in your Buckhorn Magnum CVA 50is because its a plunger style gun.

Ok, I guess its a safety issue related from the gun firing from open bolt, right?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/21/19
Exactly what kind of velocities are we talking?
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Exactly what kind of velocities are we talking?
About 1500fps with the 250Real and 80 gr 777.
Originally Posted by 270WSMANIC
Originally Posted by willycc

Ok, I guess its a safety issue related from the gun firing from open bolt, right?

big safety issue. It could eject the primer into your face during ignition. Don't shoot it in an open plunger style muzzleloader.
Originally Posted by Nearly_Out_Of_Time
If the one who told you not to use BH 209 was a retailer, then what he meant was that the original breech plug is not configured to
.1 receive a 209 primer and/or
2. its fire channel is not configured to deliver the hot charge needed to ignite BH 209.
He also was not in position to SELL you the appropriate breech plug sourced only through the Buckhorn company (on line or over the phone).
The special plug is an extra cost of course, but the resulting combination and its performance features produce the goal worth the cost.

The BH 209 breech plug is available through CVA as well. It's not a Blackhorn exclusive product..

Attached picture thumbnail.jpg
.......Blackhorn......
Originally Posted by bigblock455
.......Blackhorn......

I meant Blackhorn....Sometimes whats in your mind doesn't translate to the keyboard...LOL
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/22/19
Tyrone, I get about 2050 FPS in my 26" barreled Encore with 77 grains by weight (110 grains by volume) of Blackhorn 209 with a 250 grain Hornady Monoflex ML bullet.

Ron
lol i know how that goes buddy.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: I'm sold on Blackhorn 209 - 01/22/19
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Tyrone, I get about 2050 FPS in my 26" barreled Encore with 77 grains by weight (110 grains by volume) of Blackhorn 209 with a 250 grain Hornady Monoflex ML bullet.

Ron

Thanks Ron, that's what I was looking for. I get 1,700fps with a 28" barrel & 300gr XTP sabot using 105gr by volume of 777.
© 24hourcampfire