Home
Our local scout district has 25 of these "Deerhunter" models that we use for the older scouts. This past week we had our biennial Mountain Man Rendezvous where I served as RSO and armorer. Many of the guns have broken front sights. Most are just cheapy injection molded plastic, some with fluorescent blades. I checked Traditions website and they will sell them in sets for $25 but I don't need any rear sights. Any suggestions? We have a half dozen with pennies cut in half for front blades but they fall out and don't give the best sight picture.
replace them with the german silver sights,
http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p1163/Bobcat_Front_Sight.html
I could maybe help your efforts as well. Hit me a private message. Thanks.
ed w.
Checkout Pedersoli, Uberti and the other smoke pole forums and sites...you can also use nickles, dimes, quarters, etc cut to shape...pennies suck as you cant see them unless you keep them polished.
Originally Posted by bigblock455

That would work but I don't really want to have to mill dovetails into a bunch of rifles. The plastic factory sights have a ramp held on with one small screw. I need something that will be easy to retrofit.
Call Williams Gunsight Company. I don't see a solution for your particular model in the pdf catalog I have, but they may be able to help. Commonly though, the sights come in sets, and those are more than $25, and feature fiber optics. Other options likely involve some minor gunsmithing, also pricey unless someone in you group is handy.
I can mill dovetails but that is a lot of work to do on a $200 rifle.
If you are involved with an organization that teaches youths muzzleloading, I'd suggest you email Williams gun sights and ask them if they'd be willing to help you guys out with sights for the # of rifles you need. They will just write this off as a donation and in the end, you and the kids win.
I can try that with Williams too. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire