Home
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Hawken rifle build - 07/08/19
My Hawken build is still in the works but it's starting to shape up.

Inspired by the Kit Carson Hawken. 54 caliber Rice barrel, 31 & 5/8 inch long, tapered from one inch at the breach to 7/8 inch at the muzzle. Weighs in at 8 pounds as it is now. All metal will be rust blue, wood still has some more finish ahead. Should be a nicely balanced offhand hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Semisane Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/09/19
Looking mighty fine PDShooter.
Looks Sharp
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/09/19
congrats on duplicating such a historic rifle....looks great.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/09/19
Very nice
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/09/19
PDS! Gonna be up to Green River! Prime possibles there!
Posted By: S99VG Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/15/19
Very nice
Posted By: Brittman Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/15/19
pds,
Looks nice! I still shoot an old Green River Rifle Works .50 cal., Hawken, from one of their kits they used to make. Curly maple stock on yours, I assume? Did you say you're going to blue the metal? Do you like that instead of a nice, plum brown finish?

Please send a finished photo when you're done, will you? Thanks.
Curl and burl in that lumber. I have some rifles and a Chief's Grade trade gun that are browned, but I believe rust blue is more correct for this particular rifle. I will post photos when its finished.
Posted By: cobrad Re: Hawken rifle build - 07/24/19
Very nice.
I’ve been threatening to build the Track Of The Wolf kit of the same rifle. This winters project I think.
That Track kit isn't quite as close to the Carson rifle as I wanted. But it would make a nice rifle regardless.
Posted By: Northern_Jim Re: Hawken rifle build - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
My Hawken build is still in the works but it's starting to shape up.

Inspired by the Kit Carson Hawken. 54 caliber Rice barrel, 31 & 5/8 inch long, tapered from one inch at the breach to 7/8 inch at the muzzle. Weighs in at 8 pounds as it is now. All metal will be rust blue, wood still has some more finish ahead. Should be a nicely balanced offhand hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Very nice!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hawken rifle build - 08/12/19
Hey PDS!

How’s the progress on that old fence post tamper coming along?????

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Gonna look nice with you toting it!!!!
When I last spoke with my builder he was looking for a stamp to put (S Hawken - St Louis) on the barrel. That may or may not happen depending on finding someone who has the stamp and is willing. The stamps are out there.

I've learned not to rush your builder and you will get extra details you couldn't otherwise afford. I expect he will have it finished soon.
And I will be so happy to get it I'll be bragging about it everywhere!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hawken rifle build - 08/13/19
Speaking of stamps. Hey did you see that fake Hawken that recently sold at Auction for $12 grand??? And it was a pizz poor fake! Modern block letter stamping S. HAWKEN. Looked like it was stamped by my 6 y o grandson.
No, I missed that.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hawken rifle build - 08/15/19
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=55295.0
Good grief...
Spoke with my builder today. Going to have it in hand at the next rendezvous on Aug 31st. He says it shoots great and weighs under 8 pounds!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Hawken rifle build - 08/24/19
Niiiiiiice!!!!!
Posted By: Biebs Re: Hawken rifle build - 09/03/19
I had no idea Sugar Maple could turn out that nice for a gun stock. I probably have 1,000 Sugar Maples on the property. Hmm......
They might be worth some $$$ don't burn em'!
© 24hourcampfire