Home
[Linked Image]
Man that is pretty! 😉
Where did you get it?
Stats:
Rice barrel, 54 cal, 1-66 twist, 31 & 5/8 inches long, tappers from one inch at the breech to 7/8 inch at the muzzle.
Davis lock and set triggers.
A plank of sugar maple.
It all weighs 8 pounds and balances perfectly between my hands.
My builder (who wants to remain anonymous) did an outstanding job. He also made a cleaning jag and scraper to fit the patent breach. And he came in under budget!
I picked it up at the rendezvous this weekend. I shot it with 60 grains and 80 grains of 2-f Goex. It shoots sweet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Texczech
Man that is pretty! 😉
Where did you get it?

I had it built. The fellow who did the work builds fine Hawken style rifles. This one is a copy of the Kit Carson rifle.
Outstanding!!
STUNNING!!!
Really nice rifle. I like it.
That’s a beauty!!!
Now that one is plumb up to Green River!!!!!!!

Prime possibles right there! Well done PDS!!!!!
Wow. Sure is purty.
Don't know why the builder would prefer anonymity, that is a piece of work to be proud of. Congrats.
Amazingly Gorgeous!
Originally Posted by kellory
Don't know why the builder would prefer anonymity, that is a piece of work to be proud of. Congrats.

He doesn't need to build rifles for the income, doesn't want to do it full time, and he is very particular about who he will build a rifle for. I did not solicit him to build the rifle. I was showing him my Lancaster rifle and admiring his Hawken rifle. I mentioned that my next rifle would be a copy of the Kit Carson Hawken. We were discussing the details of that rifle (which he has handled, measured, and photographed) and he said he would be interested in building that rifle, if I wanted him to do so. I simply said I would be honored if he would build it for me. That was exactly one year ago. He also requested that I not disclose what I paid him for the rifle, and I won't. But I will say this, it was not much more than what I would have paid for a Track of the Wolf parts kit. I am honored and blessed to have friends like him. So, I will honor his request.
Funny you mention the Rice barrel. I was looking into one for my TC Hawken for a 50 cal. roundball barrel. I hear they are pretty good.
Looks real good. Congrats.
Dang fine rifle!
Just a little report on range work to date. I began load development starting with the same load my 54 caliber Deer Creek rifle likes 2-f powder, 530 cast ball, and ticking patching. Five shot groups at 25 yards with increasing powder charges were tested. While shooting these groups I noticed an occasional delay in ignition.
[Linked Image]

Inspecting the fired patches I saw cuts and burn through on all. That patching is too thin for this rifle. The next session I switched to 3-f powder and eliminated the ignition delay. I believe the 2-f granules did not go down into the fire channel of the patent breech consistently. In any event, the 3-f granulation solved that issue. I also tested pocket drill, Twill, and denim fabric for patching. All those show good tight groups and no issues with cutting or burning through. Seeing little difference in group size, I went with the pocket drill simply because it loads easier than the others. 70 grains of 3-f Goex powder showed the tightest groups.
[Linked Image]

The next experiment was with patch lube. 3 parts water to 1 part Ballistol lube proved best and after confirming all that with a few more five shot groups I began filling down the front sight to get it hitting here.
[Linked Image]
Definitely looks like a shooter!
I’m always amazed at how accurate my Hawken .54 is with round balls and real black powder.
Ancient technology is still pretty damn amazing. 🤠
OUTSTANDING!!
Yup!!! It’s a shooter!!!!
That is a really nice Hawken
Lookin' Good PDS!!!
Continued sight adjustments at 17, 30, and 50 yards. Shoot two, file the front sight a little, shoot two more repeat.
[Linked Image]

When I had it close, I'd move the target out and do it again. At 50 yards I see it's shooting left. So I put a little witness mark on the rear sight and barrel dovetail and tap the sight to the right. Next shot, oops, moved it a little too much. Taped it halfway back and the last two shots are in the ten ring. Next session will be at 75 and 100 yards to make finer adjustments as necessary. Then my target load will be good to go.
[Linked Image]

The next thing will be testing 90 to 100 grain charges for an elk load.
Wow! Great shooting and a helluva rifle! Beautiful.
That wood is beautiful!
I'd love to have one like that in a flint lock
Wow that is nice. Love the wood. Great explanation on the testing process. Looking forward to your successful field test report on an elk.
Beautiful.
prettiest piece of wood I've seen on a charcoal burner in a long time. I had to go with 3-f for dependable ignition also. mine is a .50 and with 348g belted over 95g she cracks! and makes nice little groups but not like yours. my eyes can't see beyond 50 yards with opens.
What a nice piece of wood! That rifle is a beauty. Makes me want to shoot my Hawken I built 40 years ago again.
It's been at least 20 years since I shot mine.
Now look what you've done grin

Ken
The personal rifle of the fellow who built this one is a flint lock, full stock, early style Hawken. He shoots it well too!

I was admiring that rifle while he was drooling on my Lancaster. That's when the conservation about my desire to have a copy of the Kit Carson Hawken started. Latter that evening he stopped by my camp to tell me that he has handled and measured the Carson Hawken and has all the correct furniture to build it if I wanted him to. He didn't need to offer twice. A year latter at the same rendezvous, he delivered.
© 24hourcampfire