Home
Posted By: bigblock455 Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
Is this what I have? I removed the barrel and other than some serial numbers, there isnt a single name/caliber mark on it. The only info I can find is a 420 model but they have a different looking bolt. This one is in excellent condition inside and out. #11 set up. Just trying to figure out what the heck model?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
Right off the bat I'd call it a MORPHODYKE!!
Posted By: Okiehog Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
It ain't an Austin and Halleck. The action is a Model 98 Mauser type. The gun still has the floorplate.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
Any ideas on the maker? Very well put together and solid inside and out.
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
show us a picture of the breech plug with the bolt open.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/29/19
Looks exactly like this, including the area where the #11 nipple screws into. I could have sworn its an A&H. It also uses a 6-1mm thread for the nipple.
[img]https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e9...amp;odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff[/img]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/30/19
I wonder if it’s something someone built up. Lou Camelli in Albuquerque built several rifles with that type of breech but for a WW 209 primer for Ruger # 3 carbines in 45/70 back in the mid 80’s. Even machined out a slot in them so the ejector would throw out the spent primer. Put ot all in front of the existing breechblock. I knew 3 of the guys he built them for. Two of the guys were dentist there in Albuquerque. One lives down in Silver City area now.

But I doubt anyone here (USA) would build it up for a 6 x 1 mm nipple unless that’s what the customer specified.

Looks like an old Interarms Mark X Mauser from back in about the same time period, 1980’s to me.

Just my thoughts. Be interesting to hear what you find out about it. Keep us posted.
Posted By: shootem Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/30/19
Looks like an old Interarms Mark X Mauser from back in about the same time period, 1980’s to me.

Some kinda FrankenMark. Very interesting. Wonder if it was worth the effort.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/30/19
Its mauser action. Pretty strong and very reliable. The barrel on it looks very quality. Possibly even chrome lined.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Austin & Halleck? - 10/30/19
Damn well made rifle.
Posted By: driggy Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/06/19
I've had a few and still own one, and yours is definitely not an A&H 420. Bolt is wrong and a 420 has a half octagon, half round barrel (octagon on receiver half, round on muzzle end). Also quite a bit longer. Agree with the others that it is a custom built, most likely Mauser action.
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/06/19
Are you thinking of selling?
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/06/19
Yeah I am most certainly interested in selling, but just wanting some history on this bad boy.
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/07/19
Got the breech plug tool in today and removed the plug. Not one spot of rust or pitting in that bore! Super clean inside and out. I may have to scope it and take it out shooting.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/07/19
I seem to remember Navy Arms or other importer selling something like that in the '80s built on a Turkish Mauser action.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/07/19
Any crest. or markings left on the receiver? Under the front base? Super nice looking rifle!
Posted By: bigblock455 Re: Austin & Halleck? - 11/07/19
none what so ever that i can see. On the mag well i do see a serial number and a very very tiny stamping. Similar to this below.
--------
-----
---

© 24hourcampfire