Home
Posted By: ihookem glow sights for TC Hawken. - 12/09/19
I got out with my Hawken this week for muzzleloader season. No deer so far . I have the plain old factory sights. I just plain can't see them in the woods when I aim. I am looking for some of the neon sights. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy and what brand that will work without having to modify them? I sure like that gun with the new Green Mountain barrel but I was not expecting the sights to be so hard to see in the low light in the woods.
I've used the Williams replacement sights on a Renegade. Had to open the front dovetail some as it wasn't properly cut at the factory. Don't know about the Green Mountain barrels. i suggest you call Williams and ask.

BTW, I find a square blade easier to shoot with consistancy than any round bead these days. My Renegade has a Skinner on it now, painted dayglow orange.
There is one on eBay right now.
Thompson Center #7748
Fiber optics are gonna be your best bet, The later Green Mountain LRH Barrels came with them (Williams I believe is who made/makes them) The Rear Sight fits the Octagon Barrel, the front is Simply Drifted in the Dovetail.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Terryk Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 12/10/19
https://rmcoxyoke.com/product-category/muzzleloading-accessories/muzzleloader-sights/
That's s a MORTAL SIN!!
Posted By: ihookem Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 12/13/19
Thats funny Sharpsman. I actually feel bad about a fiber optic sight on a muzzleloader. I can't see the sights in the woods at all, however.
Just tape an LED fishing bobber light behind the front sight. I like the green lights.
Make sure the fiber optic is supported on the bottom.
T/C first made them with it only supported on the ends, the
middle suspended. Anything that touched it, broke it.

I actually shot a deer looking through and around the hole where
the red dot should have been. Got tired of replacing the pipe, got
new sights.
Posted By: ihookem Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 02/01/20
I finally decided to buy a Williams peep sight instead. It is a number 1340 . I do have to mount it on the tang and need to drill a hole to boot. I think I will shoot much better . We will see. Anyone else have a tang peep sight? I hear Idaho Lewis doesnt do well hunting with them but we will see.
Originally Posted by ihookem
I finally decided to buy a Williams peep sight instead. It is a number 1340 . I do have to mount it on the tang and need to drill a hole to boot. I think I will shoot much better . We will see. Anyone else have a tang peep sight? I hear Idaho Lewis doesnt do well hunting with them but we will see.

I love my Peep sights, i have them on EVERY Muzzleloader I Shoot 👍 In fact i would be in trouble without them, My eyesight is NOT VERY Good from an Accident in the Logging/Timber industry, A Peep sight helps me Tremendously. My ONLY Complaint is Low light, In Really Low light i Might as well be Blind, This Depends of Course? Not all Low light is Bad. I shoot Peep sights so well that i am Willing to Trade off Lower light, For better light. If i see a Deer at 200-250 Yards, He will be coming home with me 👍 I simply cannot do that with Regular open Sights, Not even Close!

I have a few of the Williams 1340s, They are Called an FP Hawken. I have shot mine to 500 Yards Accurately. Thompson Center Hawken Rifle, Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal, 1:30 Twist Barrel. Lyman 17AHB Globe front, With Shavers BPCR Insert

Target is 505 Yards, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder. White Spot strait Above my Barrel, That Target is 3-4 Feet in Diameter

Standing behind my Target looking Back at my Truck/Shooting Bench, All the way at the Very end of the Logging Cut/Unit

3 Shots in 7 inches, This was 1 of my first attempts at this, with this Particular Setup

400 Grain Cupped Base Paper Patched Bullets

Typical 100 Yard Target with the Above Load, 7 Shots here

I Scribed this 500 Yard Mark in my Sight, This is a Well Proven Load in this Rifle

Mine is a TK Model (Target Knob) I also have Gib Elevator Lock on mine, with a 1” Target Aperture

Here is the Gib Lock, Without this you need a Small Flathead Screwdriver to make Field adjustments. This Gib Elevator Lock is SLICK! This allows me to Lock/unlock in the Field by Hand
Posted By: ihookem Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 02/04/20
Thanks, Idaho, I think I will like it. Mine is a bit different than yours cause Mine has a smaller peep. I think you will do better with targets but I got the Williams that seems more for hunting , but I still get a peep sight. I dont even remember the model number but it will be here soon so I will post it when it gets here. I have to drill a hole in the tang and I didn't want to do that but dont have a choice. I also know of a TC Renegade that seemed new for $395 in a gun store. I'm going to get it if the barrel is clean. I might just keep it for investment cause they are getting hard to find. Also, say there were no more TC or Lyman . Is there a company you would recommend for a custom traditional muzzleloader? I am also interested in those.
Posted By: Terryk Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 02/05/20
3 sight options for the TC. Willams and 2 OEM TC units.

My eyes are getting to the point that I can't use open sights. On my T/C Renegade, I put a Williams F/P rear sight and a Tru Glo green fiber optic front sight. Works like a charm for me.
Originally Posted by Terryk
3 sight options for the TC. Willams and 2 OEM TC units.

Why no mention of the Lyman 57SML? One of the Very Best Tang Mounted Peeps out there for these Sidelock Muzzleloaders. I have 6 of them on TC Hawkens, and Renegades

Unfortunately this Fowlers is no longer made, This was a FAR superior sight to the TC
Posted By: ihookem Re: glow sights for TC Hawken. - 02/05/20
It looks like the Fowler had 2 1/2' between the screws and then I would not have to drill. That looks like a simpler sight . Also, the Lyman was on my list . However the guy at Winlliams helped me. I have a Williams sight on my Green Mountain and thought I could get a peep for the barrel but they didn't have it , or he didn't think it was made.
© 24hourcampfire