Home
Posted By: whitepine T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/16/20
I have 3 cherokees and I need to par down the collection and Im having trouble deciding witch ones to let go, 2 are 45's one has never been shot and the other has been shot 3-4 times so there both like new the other is a 32 new in the box, I like all three but one or 2 have to go , I like the 32 but I cant bring myself to shoot it, any Ideas witch ones to sell,
Posted By: Bill_N Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/16/20
Sell the unfired 45
Posted By: whitepine Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/16/20
Thanks, thats what I was leaning to
Posted By: deerstalker Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/16/20
if you can't bring yourself to shoot one sell it! guns are made to be shot. if you don't shoot them they are just clutter.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/16/20
wish i had that problem. feel like ive had my eyes open for a .45 seneca or cherokee for years.
I would hang on to that 32. Popular caliber for that rifle and not easy to find in good condition.
Posted By: Hubert Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/18/20
sell me the 32. problem solved..
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/20/20
I’d sell whatever is going to never be used....

I had a Cherokee .45 for several years and used it on blacktails here in Oregon.
I saw it as a muzzleloading version of a good mountain rifle. Light, but with adequate power.
I shot several bucks with it and on one hunt my younger brother shot what was at the time, the state record Colombian blacktail buck - over 162+ gross.

None of the typical muzzleloader stocks fit me and were comfortable to shoot, so I sold it and went to an in-line.
Posted By: S99VG Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/24/20
If you keep a gun you never have shot you just may never shoot again. Keep the one you have shot.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/24/20
I can feel your pain, but have no dilemma, as I only have one 36 cal Seneca.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/24/20
Gotta like those Seneca 36's just about as cheap a muzzleloading shooting a guy gets.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/24/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Gotta like those Seneca 36's just about as cheap a muzzleloading shooting a guy gets.

You bet, it'll stack those round balls at 25 yards with 25grs of FFFFG, which BTW, would make a damn tall tree for squirrel shooting, the little beautiful blonde stock doesn't hurt a dang thing either, I bought some bulk Hornady hardened 000 buck for mine, a heck of a lot cheaper than buying 100 pure lead 36 cal round balls.

Not legal here, but I would hazard a guess a deer catching one of those in the lungs wouldn't be hard to find, never mind a drop on the spot neck shot.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/24/20
Yeah , Gunner on those OOO bulk bags, my brother asked me if I needed any one day and I said sure. next time he was up he handed me 3 of those Hornady bags .I 'm still working on the 1 st one... I've got T/C Hawkens in 45 ,50 ,54 I'd sure like to find a .58 barrel too. Hawkens are nice but the Seneca sure is a sweet handling outfit. I know some guys that are really out in flyover country and the don't worry at all about the 40 cal minimum... Don't know what it is but they put on some skins grab their possibles bags and blow off the fine print rules. I think their minds travel back to and forget about bs laws. MB
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/25/20
Sounds like you're more than set on lead for the 36 Magnum Bob, dont know if you're dead set on a T/C 58, but IdahoLewis here at the campfire has/had a hell of a Navy Arms 58 cal for sale, they are one hell of a rifle that will handle anything you want to throw at em, cant see any reason why they wouldn't shoot round balls as well.

And 10-4 on the tradition too, as a matter of fact, there's a poster on this board I know very well that used to dress in Buckskins muzzle loader hunting, on foot and off horseback, he and his hunting buddies even went one step further by still hunting in wool socks, no boots, just wool socks, would cross creeks too when needed, that my friend is some old school dedication! cool
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/25/20
i JUST acquired a .45 seneca. pretty excited to get acquainted with it
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

NICE! congratulations, you're going to have fun with that.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

thanks, ive had an eye out for awhile for a good example. i remember seeing an old ad for them that said something to the effect of “it doesnt take much to kill a deer” and advocated a load with the 240ish grain maxi ball
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 04/26/20
You bet, 80-90 grains of black powder under a mini or maxi ball should blast right through a white tail, and do it with little to no recoil.
Posted By: Old_Man Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by whitepine
I have 3 cherokees and I need to par down the collection and Im having trouble deciding witch ones to let go, 2 are 45's one has never been shot and the other has been shot 3-4 times so there both like new the other is a 32 new in the box, I like all three but one or 2 have to go , I like the 32 but I cant bring myself to shoot it, any Ideas witch ones to sell,

Give me a price on the 32. I'm interested.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/11/20
Originally Posted by gunner500

it is not a good example, unfortunately. gunbroker strikes again.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/11/20
DAMN! mad
Posted By: tmitch Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/11/20
My first muzzleloading rifle was a Seneca .45. I went to the LGS wanting a Hawken but all they had was the Seneca. Sweet handling and accurate with a Maxiball over 70gr FFG, but even with that seemingly mild load, it did come back smartly. When T/C came out with the left handed New Englander I decided to get one and sell the Seneca. What an idiot! cry
Posted By: T_O_M Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/11/20
I bought a used .45 Seneca a couple years ago. Mine shoots very well with either 65 grains of FFg and a .440 patched round ball or 70 grains of FFg with a 245 grain maxi ball. Could not find the maxis for sale so I bought a Lyman mold and some pure lead and learned to pan lube. I went up to book max in TC's manual, but these are the loads that shot best and they are good for what I bought it for. Thinking about selling it. Last June I moved. The new location is in a unit without a muzzleloader season so I've got a 60 mile round trip to the nearest ML hunting spot and over 100 round trip to a good spot. frown
Posted By: Old_Man Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/12/20
Does anyone know if the 32 T/C is still available? I'm interested, but have no idea what the story is here.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/12/20
Not sure why you shoot FFg in either a .32 or a .45 cal. Try FFFg and I am sure that you will see better ballistics and accuracy.
T/C Senecas are long gone from production but many still remain in gun safes.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/12/20
i can confirm that the seneca is one of the most svelte, balanced ML’s ive ever handled. its remarkable, really.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: T/C Cherokee Dilemma - 05/12/20
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Not sure why you shoot FFg in either a .32 or a .45 cal. Try FFFg and I am sure that you will see better ballistics and accuracy.

Interesting theory but that is not how it worked out in my gun. I tried both and 2F shoots more accurately.

Tom
© 24hourcampfire