Home
Posted By: Centennial Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
Okay, im hoping someone out there is a true expert on LGPRs.

I have a rifle i built from a kit in 1991. The bbl has a 1:48 twist and is a Lyman marked percussion. I have never seen this twist advertised. Can anyone shed light on why this twist and/or Lyman GPR barrel variants? Was this just an odd run they did for a few years, "seemed like a good idea at the time" kind of thing?

Thanks,

Chip
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
I mistakenly bought one in .54 flint years ago only to find that it was 1:48, not 1:60 as the .50 cal model was.
Posted By: Centennial Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
WStrayer, was the flint new or used when you bought it?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
They were marketed with both barrels, with no other markings than the sticker on the end of the original box, obviously the 1 in 60 for round ball the 1 in 48 compromise twist for round ball and short conicals. Which in my opinion was like all compromises, it would do it all, but it didn't do anything well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
Thought all the GPRs were either twisted for RBs or later for sabots at 1-32. The brass-trimmed Trade Rifles were 1-48".
Posted By: benchman Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They were marketed with both barrels, with no other markings than the sticker on the end of the original box, obviously the 1 in 60 for round ball the 1 in 48 compromise twist for round ball and short conicals. Which in my opinion was like all compromises, it would do it all, but it didn't do anything well.

My 1:48 .50 cal barrels do very well with saboted 250 or 240 gr. XTP's.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
I remember the twist being the same as what Pappy said.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Thought all the GPRs were either twisted for RBs or later for sabots at 1-32. The brass-trimmed Trade Rifles were 1-48".
That's what I thought too.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/17/20
Fellas, I may be all wrong, I ordered 15 or 20 Lyman Great Plains for customers in the '80's and early '90's. Most guys wanted round ball twist for rendezvous shooting, a few guys wanted to hunt with them and went for the 1 in 48". I wasn't even aware of the 1 in 32" option, at that time. My jobber was RSR out of Sparks Nevada. Maybe they didn't carry the full line of Lyman options.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Lyman GPR 1:48 barrel - 06/18/20
I sold a lot of GPR’s before I left the shop end of Feb of ‘86. Then all the GPR’s were 1 in 66". And as stated above the Trade Rifle was 1 in 48. I sold a ton of GPR’s in those days. Most folks went with a T/C Hawken or Renegade for the 48 twist down here. Couldn’t hardly give one of those Trade rifles away.

I know very little of the post 86 stuff.
© 24hourcampfire