Home
I'm looking for something like a single flame, pedestal to fire up when hunting/fishing, or just generally outdoors. I've seen some hard core ones that run into big bucks and are probably worth it when your life is on the line, but I don't plan to use it at a spike camp on Mt Kilimanjaro.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

For cooking or heat?

Fuel source - compressed gas canister, white gas, or wood?
Thanks for asking...cooking only.

With the fuel, i'm guessing the gas canister would be more convenient, probably more expensive, but i don't plan on using it every day. Nothing against white gas, old school, but if it works OK in the right stove, and the right price, may be the better choice. As mentioned, not looking at harsh, AK conditions...coffee or soup, mid-day hunting break...
I carried a pocket rocket as a back up and for the just in case thing. Not bad. Didnt like carrying a cannister and while worked, wasnt the best at elevation.
i'm close to the truck most of the time, more options

I use my JetBoil most of the time. Mine is one of the earlier versions, still works. If close to the truck and not trying to shave ounces the larger, off brand, fuel cannisters are more economical.
T Y
Esbit pocket stove
thanks, i will google the h_ll out of any suggestions
I have a jetboil and I like it. Boils water in a hurry.

The biolite campstove looks interesting if weight isn't an issue. Burns wood and can charge your phone with it too.
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I have a jetboil and I like it. Boils water in a hurry.

The biolite campstove looks interesting if weight isn't an issue. Burns wood and can charge your phone with it too.

sounds like that would fit the bill
Ok,,,,,, these are the 2-Stoves that I use, they are both Dual or Multi-Fuel Stoves, One is for Back-Packing, the other is for on the Tailgate of my Truck...... grin
Lj cool

Attached picture Capture.jpg
Attached picture Coleman-Stove.jpg
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,,, these are the 2-Stoves that I use, they are both Dual or Multi-Fuel Stoves, One is for Back-Packing, the other is for on the Tailgate of my Truck...... grin
Lj cool

Thanks, I recognize the one on the right!
The one on the left looks like my msr dragonfly. Thats my main stove I use. The pocket rocket is my back up /field use.

Dragon fly will boil some water fast
Simple, cheap, efficient. Made by several different brands. I use it for any single pot task.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Simple, cheap, efficient. Made by several different brands. I use it for any single pot task.

This is quick and easy to use. Only real drawback is being tall - easy to tip.

Pocket rocket and many similar styles are easy to use.
Been using one for about 30 years, haven't tipped it yet. Just take a little care. It really isn't as tippy as it looks with the big base extensions.
I bet those help. Don’t think mine had them.

looks good
Ok,,,,, I used to use those small Propane Canisters, but when it gets Cold,,,,,, at about 20deg. F they don't work so well, remember Propane STOPS Gasing@ -40deg F, ie... you could have a full tank, and nothing happens... Zero, and don't even get me started on the Butane Style, as they are even Worse at performing in the Cold, the Liquid-Fuel Type are the way to go,,,, be it Auto Gas, White Gas, Jet-A..... those will get-it-done. grin
Lj cool
Lotta bush folks up here like the coleman peak 1. It's got some new name nowadays. Can run any shtty gas in them, or get fancy with coleman fuel.

I used one to pre-heat a 4 stroke snow machine that wouldn't start for somebody stranded. It was at least 40 below zero. Tarp and 8 oz of fuel, off he went 20 mins later:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...&hvtargid=pla-103251160566&psc=1
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Lotta bush folks up here like the coleman peak 1. It's got some new name nowadays. Can run any shtty gas in them, or get fancy with coleman fuel.

I used one to pre-heat a 4 stroke snow machine that wouldn't start for somebody stranded. It was at least 40 below zero. Tarp and 8 oz of fuel, off he went 20 mins later:

I have one of those too. Really good little stoves. Didn’t think they were still available.
Well, looks like for cost, ease of use, fuel availability (actually have a few of these canisters laying around), will probably get the Coleman version of this on Amazon, about 40 bucks shipped. I have cookware that will work fine with it.

The others have exotic fuel canisters, more specialized products, etc., def can see they're worth the money if the job calls for it. I really like the looks of that Coleman Peak, may be my next one, for the heck of it.

Still gonna check out some of these other brands mentioned. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Originally Posted by LoadClear
Esbit pocket stove

this one is kinda neat, solid fuel, which i doubt is very expensive

Esbit stoves and Sterno stoves use solid fuel. I learned to hate that stuff in Viet Nam. It burns dirty so it gets your pot full of soot. It's not hot enough, so it takes a long time to heat a can of C-Rations. We would mix C4 and peanut butter to make a small fire, which works better than solid fuel, and we used Sterno tabs to get it started.

I use an MSR Pocket Rocket for backpacking, most of the time. Or an Optimus Crux when I really want to shave ounces. They are both kind of pricey. Or you can get a Coleman Micro backpacking stove, which you can buy at Wal Mart for $18. All of these stoves run on a canister of butane and are best used when it's not too cold.

I use an MSR Whisperlite International or an MSR Dragonfly stove in cold weather. Both are white gas stoves.

I use a variety of propane appliances, including propane stoves, for base camping because weight and bulk are not a consideration in that situation and propane is so convenient.

cool, thanks...i did see those Optimus Crux ones, two different sizes, probably a bit too specialized for my needs. will check out the others you mentioned.

I've never been able to convince myself that the extra weight of a Jetboil is worth it.
I have a relatively cheap Primus canister stove that has been used quite a bit for about 6 years. I prefer the MSR IsoButane canisters but they all work pretty well. I have used mine frequently above 10k ASL and at temps below freezing. If it is really cold keep the cannister in your sleeping bag at night and make coffee in bed in the AM. No fuss, no pumping or priming, boil a quart of water in 3 minutes. I use my stove and its' dedicated pot for boiling water only. They suck for actual cooking and I hate cleaning a pot. I can live on Via coffee and MH freeze dried for a couple of weeks at a time.YMMV.

mike r
Optimus 8R.
I have a $15 backpacking stove that I got off Amazon, that runs off the butane/propane blended fuel. It's with me hunting or backpacking. Works great.
-40 degrees you say.
I'll make sure not to take it on my artic adventures.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I have a relatively cheap Primus canister stove that has been used quite a bit for about 6 years. I prefer the MSR IsoButane canisters but they all work pretty well. I have used mine frequently above 10k ASL and at temps below freezing. If it is really cold keep the cannister in your sleeping bag at night and make coffee in bed in the AM. No fuss, no pumping or priming, boil a quart of water in 3 minutes. I use my stove and its' dedicated pot for boiling water only. They suck for actual cooking and I hate cleaning a pot. I can live on Via coffee and MH freeze dried for a couple of weeks at a time.YMMV.

mike r

+all of that
The jetboil flat works unless you are talking real cold. No flare ups and potential tent burndowns, which is awful convenient. There is still a msr whisperlite in my snowmachine trapper box but it rarely gets used.

I might have to pick up a peak1, as i didn't know they were still available either. Lots of memories with that little stove, and the multi fuel thing could come in handy.
Originally Posted by KC

Esbit stoves and Sterno stoves use solid fuel. I learned to hate that stuff in Viet Nam. It burns dirty so it gets your pot full of soot. It's not hot enough, so it takes a long time to heat a can of C-Rations. We would mix C4 and peanut butter to make a small fire, which works better than solid fuel, and we used Sterno tabs to get it started. .

Personal opinion only...

I've used DOD issue trioxane tablets, and I've used Esbit solid fuel. It's true that they don't get as hot as traditional liquid fuel if used as directed. However, there are many benefits that IMO outweigh the minuses. 1st is the easily available Esbit branded tablets up here in AK. They're available at Wal-Mart, Three Bears, Sportsman's, REI, etc. A lotta hazmat is hard to get up here at a decent price... Esbit tabs are easy. I've personally never had any issues with dirty burning of Esbit tabs. Sure, one of my old canteen cups is scorched on the bottom from some old issued trioxane tabs/campfires/diesel stoves, but I don't remember any issues with the Esbit branded tabs.

As far as heat output..; It's a true statement that 1 tab at a time doesn't put out enough heat to boil a pot's worth of water. But 3 at a time will. Also, with the little collapsible stove (tin box), I can build a nice windbreak around the flame/cup area. With a larger can-top burner, it takes a lot more rocks (up here I've usually used mine above the treeline without much wind cover).

Add in the fact that the stove is barely larger than a deck of cards, the tabs are cheap, available, light, and small in size compared to liquid- for me it's an easy call. (I have a jetboil, and MSR stove thatI dont remember the model name, and even one of those Coleman dual fuel jobs... I pack the Esbit more than any of the others).
needless to say, i asked this question in the right place
There are alot of states where folks use small portable stoves. If it works in AK, it'll work anywhere. Everyone has different needs so you got some options.
i think i found the product needed, peak one nozzle style, fitted with the fuel canister. The dual fuel version is pretty expensive, but the little nozzle and a few canisters, convenient, no sweat. heck if i had two of them could probably make dinner for four...LOL
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I have had lots of experience with these in my younger days, get the multifuel, I have burned av gas, and jet fuel in the canadian tundra as a means of extending our white gas supply. If you are in an area that has fuel dumps having a water pump pliers is a handy thing as they work well to unscrew the plugs allowing you to harvest a quart or two if needed.
My carry stove is the pocket folder with the sugar cube looking heat tabs and huacain matches ...all that fits in my old army canteen cup, with bullion cubes etc ...many a bow hunt have I had that thing built and cooking on a pipeline crossover member up north...4foot pipefull of oil and I need my cup a soup ...lol
Oh yea..it dont spill fuel or leak on u or your gear...
The little butane rocket stoves and the Jetboil type are hot, fast, and conveinent if its not real cold. They will heat up a freeze dry meal, soup, or water for coffee or hot drink very quickly, and thats all well and good.

I still have an old MSR Reactor stove and its about faster than anything to a boil and efficient. Now im a bit older and ive discovered those old alcohol stoves like the Trangia and the one Esbit makes. I use one in a light weight kit with a titanium stove stand via Amazon, and ive also got the old Swedish army Trangia mess kit (impossible to now find without highly overpaying).

Seriously though, i would look at an old fashioned trangia type alcohol stove with an titanium holder/wind deflector. This stove isnt as fast as the jetboil and rocket stoves, but the stove and ti holder is inexpensive via Amazon and you can purchase one gallon fuel cans at Lowes and Home Depot paint dept. You wont wont uave to pack those awful butane cannisters and you can carry as little fuel or as much fuel as you desire. Cold weather doesnt matter as alcohol stoves work in most any weather just need good wind protection. Cheap, a little slower and reliable. Youtube is full of videos on these.

this thing works pretty good, Coleman Peak 1, probably chinee...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
For that matter so does this...beater 425F 10/84, def not chinee...leaks at the valve stem, real no-no, unless ya want to singe yer feathers...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
NVhuntr

I use one like yours for summer fall weather on my second one in 20 years dont lose your washer, wife said they would tip never have yet. And you can get propane any where.
My Jetboil goes everywhere with me. I have lots of other stoves but that one gets the most work.
Just used mine to thaw the locks on the trailer last night because I forgot my torch. Jetboil doesn't like - 6 very much though.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Just used mine to thaw the locks on the trailer last night because I forgot my torch. Jetboil doesn't like - 6 very much though.

Yeah, cold temps are no bueno with the Jetboil, especially if you don't use their own fuel. Luckily mine gets most of its use during more favorable temps.
If just heating liquids and similar stuff, not really 'cooking' dunno how you're gonna beat JetBoil. When a truck, horse, or airplane is lugging the gear, I like the green-bottle propane stoves. Very versatile, with an open flame. Plus, when bored you can shoot the bottles. Empty, preferably.
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by cwh2

Yeah, cold temps are no bueno with the Jetboil, especially if you don't use their own fuel. Luckily mine gets most of its use during more favorable temps.

Ditto propane here. They say sleeping with the fuel canister makes those fuel types more effective, but I've tried that and it is no fun at all. I have a copper sheet heat conductor for my JetBoil that will transfer heat from the flame back to the canister for increased efficiency. Yes, it sounds crazy, but isn't. Check the YT vids.
Completely forgot about that. Mtwarden had a post about it a while back. Need to do that.
Pocket Rocket

Lefty
I like the Snow Peak Gigapower as it produces the least CO2 and I'm a turd that cooks in the tent in bad weather. I had a Pocket Rocket and the Gigapower cooks better and is quieter.

If weight is not an issue, or the weather will be really cold, the MSR Whisperlite Universal comes along.
Admitted stove freak here, have used almost all mentioned. Plus the snow peak brands, both conventional & titanium versions.

Along w several extreme Lt wt wood burning stoves from kifaru to lil known types meant to improve upon the kifaru design.

Pocket rocket or a snow peak are by far the easiest & least hassle to use & haul around ime.

Don’t worry overly on the gas canister going useless at 20 *F or at moderate elevations. I’ve used them at 7K no prob. In colder temps I will put one inside my jacket to warm it up b4 cooking or bedtime. Toss it in foot of your sleep bag & it sparks right up in the a.m. to warm our tent b4 you dress or have some coffee while still in the sack in the a.m.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Oh yea..it dont spill fuel or leak on u or your gear...

One of the big canisters won’t run out on a ten day excursion. Take a lil canister along if you’re a worry wart like me
Admitted stove freak here

in Coleman circles you would be known as a "stovie"
If your going to be in temperatures below 20* f Liquid fuel (white gas/coleman fuel) is your best option. Optimus Svea/Sevea 123 makes a great single burner stove. Have used them from the bottom of the Grand Canyon to the base camp of Denali. I have two that are 50 years old and still going strong. NOLS use to use variants of their stove(8B or 110). Now that gas is lead free " white gas" is readily available. These stoves will also work on Benzine, Methanol, Kerosene in a pinch.
A Coleman Guide Series is less expensive but not as compact.
Good Luck
© 24hourcampfire