Home
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah The Last Alaskans - 11/06/20
For the most part, I detest reality TV. Actually, I detest most all kinds of TV.
The Last Alaskans is a notable exception.
Heads and shoulders above the rest of similar shows.
Out of production now, Discovery killed it off.
I have been binge watching re-runs the last few days.
Makes me miss Alaska badly.
Spent three years there long ago. Leaving was without doubt the single biggest mistake of my life.

In view of his youth, his experience, and his situation, I can honestly say Charlie is the only man on the Planet I am truly envious of.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: las Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/06/20
“All the drama occurs in the editing room” according to Cris Morse (Yukon Men, Life Below Zero) when I talked with him on phone this summer. “ The camera follows me around when I am just doing my stuff. No one in Alaska watch the shows anyway”. smile

The crew left their place on the Cosna ( upstream from mine) a couple weeks ago according to a text I got from Jennifer. Either they had enough footage to work with or they are pussies getting out just when things (winter) was getting interesting. Helicopter ain’t a bad way to travel during freeze up tho .....
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/06/20
I've seen Yukon Men a couple times but I think thats canceled also?
Life Below Zero I never cared for. Don't know if its on or not.
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/06/20
It’s all complete [bleep].
Posted By: mart Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/06/20
I lost any interest in the shows after an episode of Yukon Men where one of the self appointed know it alls was demonstrating reloading for a rifle. Of course he had to make it appear like he was handling nitro glycerin when he measured powder. And told the viewers if he put in even one kernel too much it would blow up his rifle.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by Clydesdale

Are you referring The Last Alaskans or one of the other Alaska shows?
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

Guess I'll never know....... wink
Posted By: hikerbum Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/07/20
Last Alaskans is the only one i watch. Used to watch below zero, but Chip Halestone is just too weird
Chip Halestone is just too weird

Never seen him, but I'll happily take your word for it!
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/07/20

Guess I'll never know....... wink

You’re better off. 👍

Originally Posted by hikerbum
Last Alaskans is the only one i watch. Used to watch below zero, but Chip Halestone is just too weird

He’s posted here in the past. Seems interesting.

Never seen any of the “reality” AK shows.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
I tuned into the Last Alaskans once, hearing it was a reality show, I expected it would have a story of a laid off construction guy who had just been laid off after working his ass off for the season, showing up in town, buying a new rifle, going on a truly epic drunk, waking up a couple days later with tired looking lady of the evening, being kicked out of The Captain Cook, and finally discovering the only thing left in his wallet was an uncashed Alaska Permanent Fund check. But no, it was about some wierdos living in the bush with money from home.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
That sounds way better than any ak reality show I've seen. But I must confess I haven't watched them all.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I tuned into the Last Alaskans once, hearing it was a reality show, I expected it would have a story of a laid off construction guy who had just been laid off after working his ass off for the season, showing up in town, buying a new rifle, going on a truly epic drunk, waking up a couple days later with tired looking lady of the evening, being kicked out of The Captain Cook, and finally discovering the only thing left in his wallet was an uncashed Alaska Permanent Fund check. But no, it was about some wierdos living in the bush with money from home.

What? I think you may have watched some other show.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
Love all these shows, even though I know they are the reduction of editing. Knowing I will never be there, these shows feed the fantasy, so I watch all the time.

For the most part, I detest reality TV. Actually, I detest most all kinds of TV.
The Last Alaskans is a notable exception.
Heads and shoulders above the rest of similar shows.
Out of production now, Discovery killed it off.
I have been binge watching re-runs the last few days.
Makes me miss Alaska badly.
Spent three years there long ago. Leaving was without doubt the single biggest mistake of my life.

In view of his youth, his experience, and his situation, I can honestly say Charlie is the only man on the Planet I am truly envious of.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hotsoup Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
I enjoyed most of the people on the last Alaskans, but not all. Like some here, I used to live in ak and hunted quite a lot. One assignment I had was mountain rescue, during which I ran across hermits injured, frozen to death, folks dead due to plane crash, bear attack injuries, or folks lost in the bush. Of all the "Alaska " shows I found the last Alaskans the most realistic. Ymmv
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20

Charlie can build a fine cabin.

Trapping footage was excellent.

Who doesn't admire women that pack potent single action revolvers?
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I enjoyed most of the people on the last Alaskans, but not all. Like some here, I used to live in ak and hunted quite a lot. One assignment I had was mountain rescue, during which I ran across hermits injured, frozen to death, folks dead due to plane crash, bear attack injuries, or folks lost in the bush. Of all the "Alaska " shows I found the last Alaskans the most realistic. Ymmv

Step over that fallen tree trunk...not on it!
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
Charlie can build a fine cabin.

Indeed. He was able to be very selective in choosing his logs, and combined that with skill and, most importantly, patience.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by cwh2
That sounds way better than any ak reality show I've seen. But I must confess I haven't watched them all.

If you have seen "Alaska Bush People", you have seen the absolute worst of them all.......
Posted By: rost495 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/09/20

I'd venture you've not read books about Heimo.

Yeah none of its perfect. But Last Alaskans was the least drama and had some good footage of great scenery.

That said the best we've seen is a you tube thing can't think of the name. Guy in Canada builds a cabin off grid and keeps adding on. My perfect life might be the name.

Almost no talking. Just filming doing things out there. Very relaxing to us.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/09/20
Yes, read Heimo's book and the other book that I believe was written by his cousin. It was about his cousin spending time with his citified daughter in a tent in the winter next to Heimo's cabin.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/17/20
Great show. The only reality show on TV.

My mom loves it. She’s 98. To get her mad I put on Alaskan Bush People for about 30 seconds. She hates that show.
Posted By: milespatton Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/17/20
but Chip Halestone is just too weird

The Hailstones are my favorite part of the show. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/17/20
I do like the last Alaskans. miles
Posted By: JeffyD Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/17/20

If you have seen "Alaska Bush People", you have seen the absolute worst of them all.......

Or, as I call it, "Short Bus Alaskans."
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Yes, read Heimo's book and the other book that I believe was written by his cousin. It was about his cousin spending time with his citified daughter in a tent in the winter next to Heimo's cabin.

What are the names of the books?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/19/20
That's not The Last Alaskans, that sounds like Life Below Zero. Sue Aikens ruins that show for us.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/19/20
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

The Final Frontiersman. https://www.amazon.com/Final-Frontiersman-Family-Alaskas-Wilderness/dp/074345314X
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/19/20

The Final Frontiersman-by James Campbell
Braving it-James Campbell
Posted By: Whiptail Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/20/20

I watched it on Hulu. It's pretty good but it gets kind of monotonous.

The shows starts out with Heimo saying that his grandchildren will be the last ones to be able to live in ANWAR but then Tyler and Ashely somehow get to live there without any family association which doesn't make sense.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/20/20

Nope, notLast Alaskans at all. Sounds like Alaskan Bush People... Thats even worse than Life Below Zero.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Nope, notLast Alaskans at all. Sounds like Alaskan Bush People... Thats even worse than Life Below Zero.

Alaska Bush People for certain. Dreadful.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by milespatton

Chip posts on this site, but I can't remember what his handle is.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/20/20
Tyler and Ashley do not live in the refuge, but just outside..
Posted By: byron Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by milespatton

Chip posts on this site, but I can't remember what his handle is.

Iirc his handle is caribou.
Posted By: VernAK Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/21/20
stranger in a strange land
Posted By: 79S Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by VernAK

On Alaska forums that’s his handle
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by VernAK

I grok that...
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

The Final Frontiersman. https://www.amazon.com/Final-Frontiersman-Family-Alaskas-Wilderness/dp/074345314X

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: sse Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/22/20
That said the best we've seen is a you tube thing can't think of the name. Guy in Canada builds a cabin off grid and keeps adding on. My perfect life might be the name.

Almost no talking. Just filming doing things out there. Very relaxing to us.

Shawn James, My Self Reliance
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: The Last Alaskans - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Tyler and Ashley do not live in the refuge, but just outside..

They trap in the refuge but they don't want people to know where they trap because like Bob Harte, they don't want people pilfering their stuff. People in L48 think of nothing stealing from a cabin out in the Bush but it is account to murder because people rely on stuff and there is very little margin for survival. You can't just go down to the local five and dime store and get supplies.
© 24hourcampfire