Home
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Probably not the right place to post it, but it’s something I’m gonna have to buy locally anyways, so I figured I’d throw up a post and maybe hear from someone before it got moved or taken down.

I finally got my hands on a M70 Stainless Classic in .375 H&H. I’ve got bullets, brass, and primers. I need to get my hands on some RL15 and realize I picked about the worst time in recent history to try to do so.

I’m not asking for tons, just a pound or two so I can get a load worked up and make a few boxes of ammo to last me years to come.

I’m willing to pay “today’s prices” for some, and have plenty of other stuff to trade if cash isn’t your thing. Just can’t find any locally and don’t know how long it’ll be until I see some more on a shelf.

Also interested in any other load data you might have for this round. Would prefer a monolithic, but accuracy trumps toxicity.

Thanks!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
I should be able to help you out. Will be in the valley this weekend if you want to meet up. 71 grains is where I ended up with the 270 tsx.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Good choice on powder. It is very versatile and works great in the 375.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Probably not the right place to post it, but it’s something I’m gonna have to buy locally anyways, so I figured I’d throw up a post and maybe hear from someone before it got moved or taken down.

I finally got my hands on a M70 Stainless Classic in .375 H&H. I’ve got bullets, brass, and primers. I need to get my hands on some RL15 and realize I picked about the worst time in recent history to try to do so.

I’m not asking for tons, just a pound or two so I can get a load worked up and make a few boxes of ammo to last me years to come.

I’m willing to pay “today’s prices” for some, and have plenty of other stuff to trade if cash isn’t your thing. Just can’t find any locally and don’t know how long it’ll be until I see some more on a shelf.

Also interested in any other load data you might have for this round. Would prefer a monolithic, but accuracy trumps toxicity.

Thanks!

Have to disagree completely... bullet performance trumps everything else. In my experience monolithics win the accuracy race easily, but their performance makes them the only choice, IMO&E in the 375.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Thanks!

Have to disagree completely... bullet performance trumps everything else. In my experience monolithics win the accuracy race easily, but their performance makes them the only choice, IMO&E in the 375.

That’s why I’m starting with them. On a recommendation from a trusted buddy on this caliber/weapon and my own experience with monolithics in every other caliber I’ve killed animals with. 99%+ weight retention and perfect mushrooms on the few I’ve recovered.

But in order to maximize bullet performance, you need accuracy. I don’t care how well a particular projectile performs, if I’m aiming at the shoulder and impact is on the hip, we’re gonna have issues.
Originally Posted by cwh2
I should be able to help you out. Will be in the valley this weekend if you want to meet up. 71 grains is where I ended up with the 270 tsx.

Name a time/place/price and I’ll be there. PM to follow.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
I’ll look in my load logs when I get off work, text you a pic or two if I find anything exciting. I do recall having great luck with IMR4831, found some data in an old manual and tried it for grins. Good accuracy with 300s and 2550 or so out of my 20” barrel.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Doubt you will have any trouble accuracy wise with the barnes (or most any bullet in 375). Looks like I have tons of room to add powder - the load above is squarely middle of the road. Kind of a nice change.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ll look in my load logs when I get off work, text you a pic or two if I find anything exciting. I do recall having great luck with IMR4831, found some data in an old manual and tried it for grins. Good accuracy with 300s and 2550 or so out of my 20” barrel.

My 20" AI loves IMR4831, essentially AA3100 for the 270grTTSX. A number of people have shot their best ever group with this rifle, which is usually the biggest they have ever shot...
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by TheKid

My 20" AI loves IMR4831, essentially AA3100 for the 270grTTSX. A number of people have shot their best ever group with this rifle, which is usually the biggest they have ever shot...

That’d be nice, for sure. As long as I can achieve minute of brown bear at 200 yards, I’ll be a happy camper.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/15/21
My go-to hunting load for the .375 H&H is 72.5gr of RL-15 with the 270gr TSX. Brown bears don't like the TSX. Not even a little bit.

Depending on how cwh hooks you up with powder, I probably have some '15 I can spare, as well.

I've shot a fair amount of IMR 4064 out of my .338-06 and .375s, and it does a good job, too.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/15/21
Thanks guys, I think I’ve gotten what I need lined up.
Posted By: 79S Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/15/21
74-74.5gr RL15, FED215, R-P brass, 300gr TSX seated at 3.595.. Barnes max load with RL15 is 75.0gr, and it’s a hot one. Another good powder is Big game powder.. I have to get my notes out, and see that specific data.. My 300gr tsx load with RL-15 is north of 2550 if I remember right.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/15/21
....so I figured I’d throw up a post and maybe hear from someone before it got moved or taken down.

I'm of no help; however, this really made me, literally, laugh out loud.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Long Shot - RL15 - 01/16/21
I haven't loaded a 375 round in quite a few years but i did, i found Varget and Big Game to be good powders too. I think i settled on 270 grain Partitions
© 24hourcampfire