Home
Posted By: moellermd Ketchikan spring black bear - 02/16/21
Wife and I renting a cabin in the Tongass NF the first part of June. Mainly to get away and do some fishing. Is it worth getting a black bear tag in the off chance we spot one? Cabin will be on a lake not coast.
Non resident hunting license and a bear tag are probably less than $300, so yes, buy them and take a rifle. The Tongass has a high a high black bear population.
Silly question! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž

Of course!
$160 for license, $450 for the locking tag.
Best make sure you don’t have to draw.
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/...ABF67248F5721E0/regulations_complete.pdf

Reg book.
Hit me up when you get here, I'll buy you and the wife a beer
Anyone want to venture a guess on how bad bears will be rubbed by then?
Look for one with a nice even rub.
😏
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ketchikan spring black bear - 02/16/21

Are there regulations as to method of take, or is it Ketch as Ketchikan? smile
Well played, John!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ketchikan spring black bear - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well played, John!

Thank you, thank you very much.
😁

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Well played, John!

Thank you, thank you very much.

Are you here all week?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ketchikan spring black bear - 02/17/21
I have a long-term contract.

Ketch Ketchum might be the guy to ask.
Posted By: olblue Re: Ketchikan spring black bear - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Ketch Ketchum might be the guy to ask.

Ketch is writing another book , so maybe the answer will be found there.😊 Actually the first book is pretty interesting , looking forward to the next one. BTW Ketch is a WW2 pilot and ran an air service on Lake Hood for years. --- Mel
I was in Anchorage in the early 70's. Ketchum was a premier air service . Shuttled a lot of folks and gear in and out of the Bush. There was another outfit, I want to say Red's or maybe Reed's? Between the two of them they had it pretty well sewn-up!
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I was in Anchorage in the early 70's. Ketchum was a premier air service . Shuttled a lot of folks and gear in and out of the Bush. There was another outfit, I want to say Red's or maybe Reed's? Between the two of them they had it pretty well sewn-up!

Rust's...
As it was mentioned, high chance what you'll find is rubbed out. But if a pristine hide is not what you're after (all that delicious meat and fat) then go for it! Spring bears are one of my very favorites. If there's green grass along the lakeshore there's a half-decent chance you'll have a grazing bear stop by in the late evening.

If you're a non-res you just have to decide if the hide is part of your goal. If you're spending more on the tag does it matter to you to bring back a hide, or is just the meat enough?
Originally Posted by 907brass
As it was mentioned, high chance what you'll find is rubbed out. But if a pristine hide is not what you're after (all that delicious meat and fat) then go for it! Spring bears are one of my very favorites. If there's green grass along the lakeshore there's a half-decent chance you'll have a grazing bear stop by in the late evening.

If you're a non-res you just have to decide if the hide is part of your goal. If you're spending more on the tag does it matter to you to bring back a hide, or is just the meat enough?

Don’t forget the skull! , too!
I think AK has priced black bears over the fair market price, short of the SE trophy areas.
Originally Posted by 907brass

Don’t forget the skull! , too!

You are so right. The skull always comes back with me. Something so amazing about those teeth, especially on an old rugged bear.
He would be required to take the skull, at least to the Sealer. Not sure after that........

Salvage for black bears
Meat: In all areas of the state during
Jan 1-May 31, edible meat must be salvaged
and removed from the field. This meat may
not be used for pet food or bait.
In Units 19A, 19D upstream from the Selatna
and Black River drainages, 21B, 21C, 21D,
24, and 25D, the edible meat of black bears,
taken under customary and traditional use
activities at a den site, must be salvaged.
The hide and skull may not be transported
from the field until the edible meat has been
salvaged.
Skull AND Hide or Skull AND Meat: In
Units 1-7, 14A, 14C, 15-17, and 20B, the
skull must be salvaged and removed from
the field year round for sealing; during
June 1-Dec 31, either the hide with claws
attached (for sealing) or the meat must also
be salvaged and removed from the field.
If salvaging the meat, the hide and/or skull
may not be transported from the field until
the edible meat has been salvaged.
Ye, you're right and I am aware of that. ADFG takes their tooth and tissue samples plus the measurements. By after that it's up to you. I love cleaning mine and putting them up on the shelf.
© 24hourcampfire