Home
Posted By: Sitka deer Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Pretty good shot there!
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Nice little run to the doorway in underwear...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Lots of stuff fell on that one!
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Think about 5.25 is my guess trees were moving
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Yeah. That one was hard to miss.
no official sites listing it yet.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
5.3 by Pt Mackenzie

pretty good guess by me I guessed 5.25 by Kurts richter scale

In 18 after the big one we would have called those shakers!
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Think about 5.25 is my guess trees were moving

Pretty much “nailed” that one you did😎
Posted By: ironbender Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Didn’t feel it here.
Pretty insensitive, I hear... just sayin...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Sad but true.
Posted By: RimfireArtist Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
In Anchorage itt felt like it might turn into a big one, the way the November '18 one did, but it was only because it was so close.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
They are saying it's an Aftershock from the 2018 quake??? How long before it's not an Aftershock but just another shaker?

I will admit, I don't miss earthquake
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Earthquake! - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
They are saying it's an Aftershock from the 2018 quake??? How long before it's not an Aftershock but just another shaker?

I will admit, I don't miss earthquake

It'll stop being aftershocks when they happen in a different place... notice that the lat/long and depth are virtually identical to the Nov 18 quake.

Years ago, when Redoubt was getting ready to blow, I had a chat with a volcanologist on what her opinion about the next several weeks... She said "geology is a funny thing, it could be in 5 minutes, or 50,000 years- just a blip in time to rocks.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21

Originally Posted by ironbender
Didn’t feel it here.
Brought the loader out and moved all the snow in the back yard so could get the boat out and the motor home moved better. Took a break and walked over to the house when it hit. Momma came out the door thinking I might have hit the house with said loader. Looking at the loader out front and me by the door, she said “just another quake then.”
The thing was sharp, though only lasted for a second or two....
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21
Showed me I still have a little PTSD from the big one in 18.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Right!? Like I said earlier, I was in my underwear, being lazy on a Saturday morning, and ran to the doorway in an unheated mud room faster than you can say "indecent exposure".

Last time, in the 11/18 quake, I was at work and had a nice cute redhead with tig ol' bitties hugging me as we sheltered under an I-beam structure in a warehouse... miss that quake.
Posted By: RimfireArtist Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21
These earthquakes are Alaska paying the price for ignoring climate change. Just ask Sen. Chuck.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

Didn’t feel it here.
Brought the loader out and moved all the snow in the back yard so could get the boat out and the motor home moved better. Took a break and walked over to the house when it hit. Momma came out the door thinking I might have hit the house with said loader. Looking at the loader out front and me by the door, she said “just another quake then.”

Hit the house? Pfft.

She should know you're a better operator than that!
Posted By: olblue Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21

I still have it from the 64 quake. --- Mel
Originally Posted by olblue

I still have it from the 64 quake. --- Mel

Morning OB. I was in the Denali theater when the big one hit on my younger brother’s birthday. My question for you is after that experience, were you seemingly able to “sense” another quake was coming seconds before it hit, and that before others did? Lots of talk about this through the years. Curious...

Best,
Bhtr
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

Didn’t feel it here.

Hit the house? Pfft.

She should know you're a better operator than that!

Momma bear thinks out loud at times, though that has been a huge blessing much-ly😃
Posted By: las Re: Earthquake! - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
These earthquakes are Alaska paying the price for ignoring climate change. Just ask Sen. Chuck.

That's exactly right. All that melting Arctic ice is running down in the ground cracks and greasing the skids. smile
Posted By: OAM Re: Earthquake! - 03/01/21
I was fueling a 190,000 btu heater with diesel and kept missing the spout and spilling it. I even said out loud "c'mon, get your head in the game". Then realized it was an earthquake.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Earthquake! - 03/02/21
I didn’t feel crap, I was sitting in the car at the Vets office when it occurred.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Earthquake! - 03/06/21
Back in '92 I slept through 3 sizeable quakes - Mt. Redoubt. I was in a rickety loft in Kenai.
© 24hourcampfire