Home
Posted By: MuskegMan First Bites of the Season - 04/16/21

Got two skeeter bites this afternoon. mad
Any hooting yet?
Further south but I hear ya! Skeeters buzzing here too.

Originally Posted by pabucktail
Any hooting yet?

I have not heard any personally yet. Supposed to be 60 F tomorrow - It will get them "talking". Folks were hearing them a couple of weeks ago.

We have buttloads of snow this year which will makes things difficult. It's a ski, snowshoe or snow machine show right now.

The "lowlander" subspecies does exist. I've shot them in the guard timber 100 yds from the beach before. Tuff finding them in that terrain as you can't get above them and look into the tree tops.
saw a fly today but no skeeter yet. let alones skeeters ...
Posted By: VernAK Re: First Bites of the Season - 04/17/21
Swans and geese loading the Barley fields but it takes another ten days for cranes to arrive.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by pabucktail
Any hooting yet?

I have not heard any personally yet. Supposed to be 60 F tomorrow - It will get them "talking". Folks were hearing them a couple of weeks ago.

We have buttloads of snow this year which will makes things difficult. It's a ski, snowshoe or snow machine show right now.

The "lowlander" subspecies does exist. I've shot them in the guard timber 100 yds from the beach before. Tuff finding them in that terrain as you can't get above them and look into the tree tops.

I figured this weather might set them off. Your right about the lowlanders, but it seems like a 2 hour deal to get a peek at one with no terrain assist.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: First Bites of the Season - 04/20/21
Burnt the holy hell out of my face hunting bears on snowmachines. Had a half a lifetime worth of fun, but no bears yet.
Posted By: Hudge Re: First Bites of the Season - 04/20/21
Went walking last night and got swarmed by the skeeters, it no bites, yet.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: First Bites of the Season - 04/20/21
https://www.foxnews.com/us/grizzly-mauling-near-yellowstone-kills-backcountry-guide
Posted By: 907brass Re: First Bites of the Season - 04/21/21
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Tell me more about these "lowlanders"...any tips or different strategies for finding them? Do they hoot like the highlanders? Or are these mostly the hens?
I ask because I'm not much of a backcountry skier so I might miss out on the high birds this "spring"
Getting the boat out yesterday and wore a black t shirt big spring skeeters were hungry! Never wear black in the spring!
© 24hourcampfire