Home
Posted By: pharmvet Things to do in Anchorage??? - 07/11/21
I have a moose hunt booked for Sept. I’m gonna be in Anchorage 3-4 days before I have to be. Wanting to take full advantage of that as I’ve never been to Alaska and may never get to come back. I want to ride the Alaska railroad if possible. Any other things / places I should see or do? Any and all suggestions or general information is most appreciated. Thanks!!
Rent a car and get out of town ASAP
Ya good luck on the car renting part.
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Rent a car and get out of town ASAP

Truth.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Bigger truth.
Taking the train North is blah until you get near the Park but the ride toward Seward is nice.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Taking the train North is blah until you get near the Park but the ride toward Seward is nice.

Are those 2 different route options?
Originally Posted by pharmvet
Originally Posted by VernAK

Are those 2 different route options?

Yeah. We took the train north. Basically a 2 day trip. Going to Seward is basically a 1 day trip. Both times are round trip.

I agree, get out of anchorage.
Seward is to the south.
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

the secret is to rent a U-Haul pickup truck, plenty of those around, I've gone moose hunting with my atv in the back of a Uhaul truck a time or two when my ride was busted

and I forgot.... towed my dipnet boat to Kenai River once, and back with over 100 reds in the back of truck on ice

https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/Pickup-Truck/
Definitely take the train to Seward, that's a much better ride than going north. While your there take one of the local tour boats out and go see the the whales, sea lion rookeries, and our beautiful coastline. I don't recommend driving the Denali highway, especially that time of year because it will be flooded with hunters.
Steal a car and get the f u c k out!
the zoo was well worth a few hours time. Free shuttles from downtown too.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Things to do in Anchorage??? - 07/14/21
The only good thing in Los anchorage was the coffee shops.

I agree 100% get out of town ASAP
Walking through the clothes racks full of fur is pretty cool. Google Anchorage fur.
Originally Posted by Hal4son
Walking through the clothes racks full of fur is pretty cool. Google Anchorage fur.

Speaking of "FUR".........."The Great Alaska BUSH Company" has Fur.......Or so I am told.
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Speaking of "FUR".........."The Great Alaska BUSH Company" has Fur.......Or so I am told.

Yes it does and it's quality fur at least the last time I was there. Since then the fur has gone out of style for some. Historic land mark and worth the trip.
Originally Posted by JeffP
The only good thing in Los anchorage was the coffee shops.

I agree 100% get out of town ASAP

And the lobster roll at humpys!!!!
The ABC is worth every penny.
things to do ....The Great Alaska BUSH Company" ... THEN run... get out.... hurry !!!!!!
Things to do while in Anchorage.

Visit Sunrise, Alaska and purchase a piece of land in Majestic Alaskan, paradise.

alaska Fur Exchange, Tudor at Old Seward...
Stay at the Captain Cook, eat at Club Paris, drink at the Bush Company, take a walk around Lake Clark and talk to the floatplane guys fixing up their aircraft. That will fill up 2 days. This is all based on my last trip in 2006.
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Stay at the Captain Cook, eat at Club Paris, drink at the Bush Company, take a walk around Lake Clark and talk to the floatplane guys fixing up their aircraft. That will fill up 2 days. This is all based on my last trip in 2006.

I had a hunting lodge on "Lake Clark" I can speak with some amount of conviction, your going to need more then a few days to walk there, from Anchorage. I am fairly sure you meant "LAKE HOOD".
You're right. My bad.
Sullivan's serves several great steaks, a wedge salad, and many Scotch offerings. If you want to buy authentic native carvings, scrimshaw and other art, believe it or not the main hospital has a gift shop featuring it. It is brought in from the boroughs by natives getting healthcare. Good prices.

Drink beer and eat king crab at Humpy's.

It's been a few years since I was there last. Hopefully it's still good...and still cheap.
The finest restaurant in town is The Marx Brothers Cafe. Best steak is at Club Paris (get your filet stuffed with blue cheese - trust me), take a walk (or run) on the coastal trail, drive down to Girdwood (Alyeska ski mountain town) and eat at the Double Musky (might see sheep and belugas at/near Beluga Point on your drive), order the sourdough pancakes for breakfast at the Captain Cook, watch the sun go down behind Mt. Susitna in the bar at Simon & Seaforts, try to find your favorite brew at Humpys, have a drink at F Street Station, eat a pizza at The Moose's Tooth restaurant (tell them your name is Rafael when checking in), shop at the Oomingmak Store.

Anchorage has unfortunately turned into a sh*t hole in the past few years thanks to incompetent "progressive" city leadership. But if you can overlook the bums on the streets around town the city still has some very nice things to offer.
Posted By: BCJR Re: Things to do in Anchorage??? - 07/18/21
Dodge tweakers and bums?
Tell your outfit they charged yah too much and that they should take u out for a complimentary night on the town.

Last time I was at the ABC watched a young guy in lust for a beautiful stripper. I over heard him ask her..................what can I do to convince you to come home with me? She said, thats easy, give me $500. By then he was out of money having spent it all on Champagne cocktails and lap dances on her.

Double Musky for the win, coconut salmon appetizer, Pepper Steak entre, and Double Musky pie for dessert. If pizza if you game go to Moose's Tooth.
Originally Posted by John_Havard
The finest restaurant in town is The Marx Brothers Cafe. Best steak is at Club Paris (get your filet stuffed with blue cheese - trust me), take a walk (or run) on the coastal trail, drive down to Girdwood (Alyeska ski mountain town) and eat at the Double Musky (might see sheep and belugas at/near Beluga Point on your drive), order the sourdough pancakes for breakfast at the Captain Cook, watch the sun go down behind Mt. Susitna in the bar at Simon & Seaforts, try to find your favorite brew at Humpys, have a drink at F Street Station, eat a pizza at The Moose's Tooth restaurant (tell them your name is Rafael when checking in), shop at the Oomingmak Store.

Anchorage has unfortunately turned into a sh*t hole in the past few years thanks to incompetent "progressive" city leadership. But if you can overlook the bums on the streets around town the city still has some very nice things to offer.

At Club Paris the steaks are great, and the blue cheese is outstanding... the secret is to get it on the side. You get about twice as much...
At F Street Station you can get deep fried halibut in regular and Texas-size portions. Texas-sized is about half the regular size.
Restaurants to avoid in Anchorage:
South... ex-mayor and lib buddies own it and got special treatment during the shutdown. Very pretentious and expensive even for what it pretends to be. They have made seriou efforts in the bar.

Snow City Cafe... some of the same owners...

Spenard Roadhouse... same thing

Crush... wine bar... man buns here look more like ttwat knots. Same group of owners... during the shutdown they closed a street to allow them to put up a tent for "outdoor dining" during the winter. The board making decisions on such things includes one of the owners. Some restaurants were denied when applying for a permit to put up a tent 100% on their own property.

Sullivan's... very pretentious with a total ala carte menu. Plan on about a hundred per head for a steak and very limited drinks. I have never had a great steak there.
It''s beena year or so since I last ate there but Haute Quarter Grill has great food and a very nice bar. One of the previous owners, Alex Perez opened his own place called Table 6 but our highly revered assemblies decisions to not allow dine-in eating cost him his business, I believe his ex-wife Lynn still owns and operates Haute Quarter Grill.
I recently spend six weeks in Alaska, put 5,000 miles on the rental car. Denali is about 4 hours north, you can always go to Homer, a great scenic drive. Seward and Wittier are good too, Seward is better. Talkeetna is a good day trip also.
I recently spent 52 years in Alaska, put on a unknown amount of miles in many "Supercubs".
Explore area and drive to Homer...Museum is really nice as is A
laska zoo..Go see little houses built over graves ..
If you're in to museums the Alaska Museum of Science and Nature has some outstanding displays. Captain Cook's logbook, seal skin boats, Inuit halibut hooks...etc. Very cool. Zoo was just okay imho.
I had a great hunt on Kodiak Island several years ago. I also got to fish for Silver Salmon. My outfitter informed me that he would have to fly me back to Anchorage 2 days early because of a huge storm front moving in.

When I got back to Anchorage there was not a Hotel room to be found and I had 2 days before my flight home.........I spent 2 solid days in "The Great Alaskan Bush Company"...........WOW Was Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been in a Gentlemans Club since, but have ZERO regrets about the time I spent there.
drive up to walsilla and eat at Trouts
Breakfast on the morning train to Seward. Boat tour to fijords, islands with dinner stop at an island lodge on the way back.
Is Gwennie's in Spenard still around?
Originally Posted by WiFowler

It was last time I was up there.
Originally Posted by WiFowler

The last time I was in there, (20 years ago) it was dirtier than the inside of a locker room urinal.
No thanks, I'll pass
I was there a couple weeks ago and they have cleaned things up a bit!

wink
© 24hourcampfire