Home
Posted By: Pugs Flying the dead in AK - 07/19/21
Interesting article about the small charter that was contracted to move bodies that needed a morgue investigation from the small villages to the morgue.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...he-midnight-sun?utm_source=pocket-newtab
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/19/21
We've hauled a few dead family and friends to, and from, the morgue.
Peaceful trips. Father-in-law never even told us where to turn! smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/19/21
Good writing on a good story. Thanks!
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/19/21
Interesting and a good read. Thank you
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/21/21
We haul a couple bodies a month I'll bet. In bad weather last month, the dispatcher put the casket in his truck and drove to the other side of road system where a float plane could pick it up

I put my father in law's casket on the back of my old Ford flatbed ranch truck and drove him from the ceremony through the small town, down the interstate, to another small town, where he was to be buried. The funeral company wanted to charge the widow something like $3000-$4000 just to drive him from point A to B.

She was hurting for money and that was not something that seemed like a good use of what little she had.

We roped his casket down to my flatbed and moved him ourselves.

Being that he was an old farmer/horse trader, we figured the pickup was more his style anyways and he probably could appreciate it.

The looks of the people passing us on the interstate were kinda funny though. smile

I think I was admonished about 5 or 6 times by the old ladies "Don't you lose him on your way to the cemetery!" laugh
Posted By: las Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/21/21
You want looks, just drive a black bear down the road atop a dump truck full of garbage.

Sucker went from side to side looking for a way off.

Nor was it was not happy when we hit the lever..... smile
BWAHAHA!!!!

On a rare occasion that I have slept in an actual campground, I stopped on my way home to sleep one night and laid my bedroll out on the back of my truckbed (same flatbed, though years before I met my wife). I was woke up to noise and a bear was in the dumpster maybe 30 yards away. I grabbed some rocks and started hucking them and finally got good smack on the side of the dumpster and he popped half his body up all shocked at the sound, then climbed out.

I actually had to climb off my truck again and get more rocks as I had run out and get some more rocks to chunk the bear. I was a crappy rock thrower and kept missing him in the dark, but finally connected and the rolly polly little pig went scooting off into the dark. laugh

That same campground I had pegged a bear before with rocks when I stopped for the night one time. Small black bears, and the Forest Service at the time was still just using regular dumpsters. The first time though, I had a very cute girl with me who was from Florida and thought I was crazy, was positive we would be eaten alive by a "killer bear" . Same deal. Noisy trash eating dumpster divers.

After I shoed off the noisy little bear and crawled back under the covers I discovered that she thought that was some "Jeremiah Johnson" stuff and she proceeded to attack me like she was a bear! shocked
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I put my father in law's casket on the back of my old Ford flatbed ranch truck and drove him from the ceremony through the small town, down the interstate, to another small town, where he was to be buried. The funeral company wanted to charge the widow something like $3000-$4000 just to drive him from point A to B.

She was hurting for money and that was not something that seemed like a good use of what little she had.

We roped his casket down to my flatbed and moved him ourselves.

Being that he was an old farmer/horse trader, we figured the pickup was more his style anyways and he probably could appreciate it.

The looks of the people passing us on the interstate were kinda funny though. smile

I think I was admonished about 5 or 6 times by the old ladies "Don't you lose him on your way to the cemetery!" laugh

Good on you Mackay! Most Funeral Homes are a HUGE ripoff !
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/22/21

I see a new reality series or horror flick - Night of the Flying Dead
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/22/21
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I see a new reality series or horror flick - Night of the Flying Dead

Advertisers could be the makers of quality Duck and Goose shotgun shells.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Flying the dead in AK - 07/22/21
Sad. As a dispatcher and 911 operator I understand. There as nothing like instructing a grandmother on doing CPR on her granddaughter that died while she was sleeping on her chest.
© 24hourcampfire