Home
Posted By: eamyrick Headed to Wulik Aug 11. Tips? - 07/28/21
After years of reading and wishing to make a trip to Alaska I’m only two weeks out. My Dad and I and a good friend and his Dad are flying into the Wulik with Golden Eagle and floating for 7 days chasing Dolly Varden and Grayling. Plan is to bring about half our food in Mountain House and snacks and eat fish tacos for lunch everyday. I understand there are quite a few bears and will be bringing a cooler to keep food away from camp. We will also have spray and pistols and two of us will have inreach devices. I’m not quite clear on how the water levels will effect fishing and what is an ideal level. Any tips or info anyone is willing to share.
The bears will appreciate the food kept at a nice temp in the cooler!
A couple days of rain & fishing will be a waste of time.

Pack extra freeze dried.
Bear meat tacos WTH?
Posted By: las Re: Headed to Wulik Aug 11. Tips? - 07/29/21
Nome - south of you, is getting hammered by rain, but weather last night for up Kotz way showed pretty good weather, only .06 inches. That can change. Kivalina near the mouth of the Wulik is another 90 miles north. Big char in that thar river! Never got the chance to fish it.

My best advice:

Put ah char in a cook pan, get it so hot that it starts smoking and burning, to get the smell in the air. Then fall ah sleep right beside the pan.

Should make for a lively night.
should be plenty of trout

if you eat trout any other way then sashimi or poke style you did urself a huge disservice.

i'd plan on spending 0 time in kivilina

bears in that area are pretty mellow, i'd not fret them too much.

as for grub, grab some stuff from kotz that's with eating and won't make ur sch!t orange.
ritz crackers, onion, shoyu, sriracha, ikejime'd trout...

ur eating like a king mate
Posted By: las Re: Headed to Wulik Aug 11. Tips? - 07/30/21
GE be OK. Jarrod hasn't bent a plane in several years... smile

Really, he's a good guy and a good pilot. He will do you good, in a good way.

Arctic Char ("trout" in the local lingo) is very delicate. - cook accordingly. Excellent flavor, fresh!
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
My best advice:

Put ah char in a cook pan, get it so hot that it starts smoking and burning, to get the smell in the air. Then fall ah sleep right beside the pan.

Should make for a lively night.

Always, always, listen to the experienced! smile
Man I appreciate all the tips. Hope the water comes down some but we are going hell or high water.
You so realize we are all axxholes up here? Especially with Texans. smile

Looks like the River is coming down and rain chances are also going down. T minus 5 days.
Have a good trip.
Excellent trip. Caught some monster dollies. I’ll have to post some pictures.
Originally Posted by eamyrick
Excellent trip. Caught some monster dollies. I’ll have to post some pictures.

Yes you will. And some stories!

Glad to hear it.
© 24hourcampfire