Home
Posted By: buffybr Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
I just got home from my Alaska Brown Bear hunt. I hunted with Master Guide Bob Couey in his camp outside of Iliamna. I flew out of Bozeman at 8 AM on Sept 4th, changed planes in Seattle then on to Anchorage, then took a taxi to Merrill Field where I met Bob and we flew to Iliamna, and then a Super Cub to his camp., which was two pup tents tucked in next to an alder patch.

The next morning I was legal to hunt, and while we were fixing breakfast, Bob spotted a bear walking across a flat about a mile west of camp. We quickly grabbed our guns and packs and started after him. We got to about a quarter mile from where we last saw him and he was nowhere in sight, so Bob suggested that we go back to camp where we had some elevation to look for him, and have some breakfast.

We no sooner got back to camp and we spotted him again, so back to the stalk. This time we got to about 200 yards from him. He wasn't the biggest bear in the unit, but with his dark brown legs and his long blond back hair, he was my Grizzly bear dream color.

I was hunting with my .375 RUM with my 281 grain Hammer Hunter handloads and I heard the loud WHAP that my first bullet made when it hit him, and he fell down. But then he got up and started running and Bob said to keep shooting until he didn't get up, so I did. His final resting place was about 10 yards from a 40' drop off into a waist deep river, and a hunt that I had been dreaming about for over 50 years was over.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The picture taking, skinning, and packing got us back to camp by 3 PM for a very late breakfast...with a celebratory Coors Light.

The next morning Bob finished skinning out my bear's skull and got his hide salted and the clouds started building up in the West. Bob brought up the weather forecast and it showed the next few days with up to 93% rain. Bob was able to text the Super Cub pilot and he was able to get us back to Iliamna that day, but too late for the plane back to Anchorage, so we spent the night at a friends "lodge" where we had homemade pizza and fresh wild blueberry pie, and a warm, dry bed.

The next day we flew back to Anchorage and to Bob's house, where we spent a couple of nights. Bob finished fleshing my bear hide and heavily salted it, and we let it cure overnight before taking to the F&G office to have it sealed. We then went to a couple of local sporting goods stores where we both bought a 3 weight fly rod and reel, I bought an Alaska 7 day fishing license, and the next day we drove 180 miles north to Alaska's Lake Louise where Bob had a cabin.

We then spent several days putting our new 3 wt fly rods to use on the creek next to his cabin where I had fun catching well over 100 Graylings. We also enjoying exploring and portaging Bob's canoe on 3 lakes and a section of the creek by his cabin, and me eating handfuls of sweet wild blueberries.

My Alaskan trip came to a close last Thursday and I left the beautiful tundra, lakes, streams, and glaciers for the smoky skies of Montana.
Posted By: kingston Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Your trip sounds fantastic! Thanks for the writeup!
Posted By: TimZ Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
That is a pretty bear! Well done.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
You gotta quit telling these stories or everyone will come to Alaska. I have been fortunate to have had 57 wonderful years in this Great Place. That is a beautiful bear and congrats to you !
Posted By: hanco Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Congrats, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Thanks for taking out another moose/caribou muncher and congrats on a beautiful bear!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Sounds like a heck of an adventure. Thanks for posting up. Do you have any idea where the first shot on the bear hit?
Posted By: pointer Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Very nicely done!! Congrats!
Posted By: JeffP Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Great memory

Iliamna is one of my favorite places on earth .....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Sounds like your dream hunt happened.

Congrats !

๐Ÿฆซ
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Pretty Toklat
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/20/21
Evnin, WOW nice colours, you'll never forget that few days. Bet ya go back??? Even if ya just fish!!! Bill. ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
Posted By: JimInAK Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21

Nicely done. Congrats on a successful trip!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Wow Great story and pics. Thanks for showing!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Awesome..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Wow! what an adventure, Thanks for the ride along. smile
Posted By: Whitebird Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Well done!
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Congratulations Sounds like a great adventure.
Posted By: SKane Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Gorgeous bruin! Congrats!
Posted By: CRS Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Congratulations, beautiful bear.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
That is FANTASTIC, and that bear is also MY dream coloration! Superb!
Posted By: VernAK Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Ya done good Buffy!
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
man what a beautiful bear. Congrats!!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21

CONGRATULATIONS!๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ’ฏ

The bear is outstanding, the pictures are great and the trip sounds like it was absolutely perfect.
Posted By: las Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Darned pretty bear. Congratulations.

Anyone with a Lab in camp is OK by me.....

I have never had a desire to shoot a brown/griz, so in my 53 years here, I never have (they have been cooperative in that respect), but if I ever get a chance at a silvertip, that sucker is going down!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Awesome. Love that color.
Posted By: Milwroad Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Thanks for sharing a great story and congratulations on an amazing trophy.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by ingwe

I took him into Monarch Taxidermy in Helena last Friday. They do excellent work, and I'm having them do a full mount with him standing on 3 legs and the left front leg raised. I hope to get him back by next spring.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by ingwe

I took him into Monarch Taxidermy in Helena last Friday. They do excellent work, and I'm having them do a full mount with him standing on 3 legs and the left front leg raised. I hope to get him back by next spring.

Damn! you shoulda looked me up! I live less than a mile from them!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/22/21
Congratulations, nice bear.
Posted By: John0313 Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/25/21
That sounded like a grand adventure on many fronts! Iโ€™m not ashamed to say Iโ€™m jealous!
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/25/21
Thatโ€™s the trip of a lifetime, congrats on the bear.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/28/21
Thatโ€™s a beautiful bear! Well played!
Posted By: BCJR Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/28/21
Beautiful bear!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/28/21
What an amazing bear. That one would work in anyone's book. Even if you never make it back, you had the trip of a lifetime. But I'll bet you go back.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
...But I'll bet you go back.

This was my 3rd trip to Alaska. My 1st was back in 1980 when 4 friends and I did a DIY caribou hunt out of King Salmon, me 2nd was a couple of years ago when I went on a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak.

Yes, I'd go back in a heartbeat, and the next time I'll bring some fishing tackle. The other day I went to a couple of sporting goods stores and bought some streamer fly tying materials.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/03/21
Nice Bear, congratulations.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/03/21
Sounds like a wonderful trip! Congrats on that dream bear!!
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
...But I'll bet you go back.

This was my 3rd trip to Alaska. My 1st was back in 1980 when 4 friends and I did a DIY caribou hunt out of King Salmon, me 2nd was a couple of years ago when I went on a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak.

Yes, I'd go back in a heartbeat, and the next time I'll bring some fishing tackle. The other day I went to a couple of sporting goods stores and bought some streamer fly tying materials.

Theyโ€™ll work on Canyon Ferry, too!
Posted By: Cascade Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/04/21
OUTSTANDING!

I'm glad that you spent more time there, fishing & such, after the bear hunt. Alaska is a special place.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/04/21
That is a pretty bear. Congrats!
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/04/21
Great adventure and trophy bear - congrats!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Brown Bear Hunt - 10/28/21
I think we can all agree, that's a beautiful bear. It was a nice to read your story. Such a fun trip; with the bear hunt, fishing and great memories.
Glad you made it back home safe. Thanks for sharing.
© 24hourcampfire