Home
Posted By: EJKELLEY Caribou Info? - 01/22/22
A bucket list item of mine some day. Where to for big caribou, guided or self hunt, best time of season and so on. Any info is appreciated! Thanks to all!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Caribou Info? - 01/24/22
Guided, the peninsula
Posted By: VernAK Re: Caribou Info? - 01/24/22
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^.......Alaska Peninsula
Posted By: rost495 Re: Caribou Info? - 01/24/22
Peninsula sure seems the place for big ones right now.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Caribou Info? - 01/24/22
Herds aren't big but the animals are very nice.
Posted By: las Re: Caribou Info? - 01/27/22
40 Mile Herd ain't bad. In 5 days of hunting I saw at least a dozen this big or better.

Opening morning, about 8 a.m. - first caribou within rifle range. The bigger one was competing with 3 smaller ones for who-gets-shot- last, in a clump just behind this one leading, so 2nd best was good enough. A clean shot is a clean shot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From my overnight cave-camp... it was smelly, cramped, dry, out of the 20mph wind and rain, and edging into the uncomfortable for 1 person. Might well do it again this year. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I recommend the Pen. I have this spot scoped...... smile

The Kenai Pen has some dandies too. Permits and access are a PITA, especially at my age, so I quit....that's for young bucks, preferably with money.

OK - I did sent you a PM....
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Caribou Info? - 01/27/22
Non residents are limited to unit 9D on the AK Penn right now aren't they? Aug 1-Sep 30, so only half the hunt finds them without velvet, if that is important to the OP.

That may or may not be a good hunt area, I have no clue, but it is a smallish area and I presume only a few transporters cover that area.
Posted By: EJKELLEY Re: Caribou Info? - 01/28/22
las. Thankyou much for the message and all that info! Really appreciate it! Thanks to everyone else too!
© 24hourcampfire