Home
Posted By: 74HNTR Ketchikan fishing - 04/26/22
Going to be in Ketchikan for first time in late June. Looking for recommendations for fishing charters to take kids out for Salmon. Figured this would be good place to get suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/26/22
I'll be there 25june..2july... diy trip for me
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/26/22

It's going to be kings and chumpies in that timeframe. The wild run kings will be done ( and ADF&G is protecting wild kings region-wide), but hatchery king fishing should be good. Looks like the Deer Mountain Hatchery produces 100k king smolts per year. Find an outfit that targets them.

Looks like the Neets Bay hatchery harvest area is open June 15 - Aug 14, 2022.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index.cfm?ADFG=region.NR&Year=2022&NRID=3310

Posted By: FishinHank Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/26/22
There will be the usual army of people fishing off the bridge down by Creek St. Can always go throw snagging hooks with everyone else down at Herring Cove too.

If I was still working out at Whitman Lake I'd help ya out, but I am out at Neets Bay now.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/26/22

Originally Posted by FishinHank
Can always go throw snagging hooks with everyone else

When in Rome . . .

I've done it all - fly fishing to (gasp!) snagging.

I work right across the street from a hatchery that produces kings and silvers. Fish get lock-jawed when the come back to spawn.

I commingle with lots of Filipinos, Pacific Islanders and Natives. Some on these guys are very good a spotting fish (good polarized fishing glasses are a must) and getting on a single fish is a lot like shooting ducks. You gotta lead them, time the intersection of hook and fish, and get a hook-set.

35# kings will fight pretty good and tailhooks can go on forever.

My Tlinget given name is Blind Eagle grin
Posted By: blairvt Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
I've been to Ketchikan twice for Do it Yourself in the same time frame. Never caught a King or even tried to snag them. We did see them at the hatchery. We did fill the boat up with Pinks. I know they are looked down upon be we sure had a blast catching them and tasted good to me. Catching rock fish is easy and we jigged a couple Ling Cod.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
We are doing another DIY trip this summer with Chinook Shores Lodge. We had a great time last summer.

https://chinookshores.com/
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

When in Rome . . .

I work right across the street from a hatchery that produces kings and silvers. Fish get lock-jawed when the come back to spawn.

I commingle with lots of Filipinos, Pacific Islanders and Natives. Some on these guys are very good a spotting fish (good polarized fishing glasses are a must) and getting on a single fish is a lot like shooting ducks. You gotta lead them, time the intersection of hook and fish, and get a hook-set.

I know a guy that can slip a hook into a sockeyes mouth when others around have tried with that particular fish.
wink
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

When in Rome . . .

I know a guy that can slip a hook into a sockeyes mouth when others around have tried with that particular fish.
wink

Not all snaggers are equal!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
wink
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

When in Rome . . .

wink

Not all snaggers are equal!

That's the truth! I learned on the east coast, some true professionals there!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/27/22
Whoever you choose, it's still going to be catch as Ketchikan.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/28/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I'm working on sticking the landing more cleanly. wink
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ketchikan fishing - 04/28/22
9.0 will getcha on the podium!
© 24hourcampfire