Home
Posted By: Mike70560 Cal Pappas - 06/16/22
A couple of weeks ago Cal Pappas passed away. He lived in Willow and was a high school teacher (retired) at Dimond.

He hunted, was an authority on double rifles, and wrote several books about doubles.

I was surprised his passing was not to this noted on the Alaska forum.

Condolences to his friends and family.
Posted By: mart Re: Cal Pappas - 06/16/22
I thought I saw it here recently or in the Hunter’s Campfire section. It may have been on a different forum. I always enjoyed visiting with Cal. His double gun shoots at Birchwood always coincided with my being at work on the slope.

My wife and I visited him a couple times at his cabin. He was a gracious host and loved to share his passion for double rifles.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Cal Pappas - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by mart
I thought I saw it here recently or in the Hunter’s Campfire section. It may have been on a different forum. I always enjoyed visiting with Cal. His double gun shoots at Birchwood always coincided with my being at work on the slope.

My wife and I visited him a couple times at his cabin. He was a gracious host and loved to share his passion for double rifles.

Mart, it is unfortunate you never were able to attend Cal's shoots at Birchwood. For most of us shooters they were more fun than going to see Santa's workshop as a kid.
Hopefully someone can head them up again in honor of Cal .
Posted By: mart Re: Cal Pappas - 06/16/22
I always regretted not being able to attend. The one I could have attended was cancelled due to the covid restrictions that year.

I did get a private tour of his collection at his cabin. Those were some drool inspiring rifles.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Cal Pappas - 06/16/22
Cal was truly a legend. He wrote a couple of stories that were fantastic. I never had the opportunity to meet him. I thought I would get some time when I retire. I guess you got to meet folks while they are around.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Cal Pappas - 06/17/22
We traded emails recently in conversation about all things 450/400 NE. Super nice, and willing to share any and all knowledge he had acquired.

His book on double rifles arrived at my door step some 6 weeks ago.

He will be missed.
Posted By: GrizzlyKid Re: Cal Pappas - 06/17/22
Damn this breaks my heart to hear. Mr. Pappas was my favorite teacher in high school, and I didn't even know about his double rifle prowess back then. He was a great teacher and will be missed.
© 24hourcampfire