Home
Posted By: ironbender AlCan Closed - - Updated - 07/04/22
[Linked Image from radiokenai.com]

https://radiokenai.com/alcan-highway-in-british-columbia-near-yukon-territory-border-closed/

The Alaska Highway has been closed near the Liard River in British Columbia, preventing drivers from being able to take the main route connecting Alaska to the Lower 48. The road closure is located near the border with the Yukon Territory. DriveBC indicates that the road closure is due to a washout, from reported flooding and water across the road.

According to the Government of Yukon’s Department of Highways and Public Works, the Alaska Highway closure is located at KM 898, which is located 30-35 miles south of Watson Lake, or about 77 miles north of Liard Hot Springs on the British Columbia side of the border near Contact Creek. They do say that Highway 37 (Stewart-Cassier) remains open for use, although that adds a considerable amount of time to your trip if you’re using the Alaska Highway to get to Alaska or to the Lower 48.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Not a big river, they should be able to drop culverts in and have a temporary bypass road in no time.
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
It’s been closed since 1 July.

No hurry. Just turn around and go over to the Cassiar.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
ironbender;
Good afternoon once more my friend, I still hope you're all having a fine Fourth of July.

As I mentioned to JeffA when he put this up on the general forum, I'd suspect that we'll be pulling out all the stops to get this repaired.

When the Coquihalla flooded last November 16th and blew out the main highway from the rest of BC into the Lower Mainland they had at least temporary repairs in and the highway opened before Christmas. It was much, much worse so I'm hopeful it won't be long for the Alaska Highway to be down.

If folks want an update this is likely the best place.

https://drivebc.ca/#mapView&z=9&ll=59.77481%2C-127.31942&xtg=Fort%20Nelson

I'll be keeping an eye on it myself as we're supposed to be in Whitehorse early next week.

If I learn anything before then I'll put it up here.

All the best to all my friends to the north and of course those south of the medicine line too. Happy Fourth of July.

Dwayne
Posted By: VernAK Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Ithink this is the same location that washed out ten years ago. Huge culvert involved.
Posted By: outahere Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Depending on where you are coming from, the Cassiar would be a suitable detour.
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Thanks Dwayne. I missed Jeff’s thread.
Posted By: JeffA Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Haven't seen a piece of equipment working in a picture of the damaged area yet...

Gonna take a long time for it to fix itself....
Posted By: BC30cal Re: AlCan Closed - 07/04/22
Jeff;
Afternoon and Happy Fourth of July to you sir, I hope the day's behaving itself for you.

I am "hoping" that it's a matter of rounding up what they need from further south here and getting it up there - combined with the Canada Day weekend?

One never knows, but it is a major artery so hopefully BC Highways gets on it.

Admittedly DriveBC didn't have much of an update at the "update" today at noon.

Happy Fourth of July again and we'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Dwayne

Edit to add this from DriveBC just now.
INCIDENT Highway 97 Both Directions - Highway 97, in both directions. Washout between Fireside Maintenance Camp and Allend Lkout for 38.3 km (377 to 415 km north of Fort Nelson). Single lane alternating traffic. Follow pilot car and obey signs. Detour available at KM 900 for southbound traffic (leaving from Watson Lake), and at KM 897 for northbound traffic (from Fort Nelson). Next update time Tue Jul 5 at 3:00 PM MST. Last updated Mon Jul 4 at 2:22 PM MST. (DBC-42803)
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/05/22
Update:

UPDATE 07/05/22 5:30 AM – Yukon’s Highways and Public Works are reporting that the Alaska Highway is open again at Contact Creek as a one-lane detour has been created. The detour is at km 900 for southbound traffic leaving Watson Lake and km 897 for northbound traffic leaving Fort Nelson. They ask drivers to be alert for signs and follow the pilot car on site.
Posted By: las Re: AlCan Closed - 07/05/22
Just make a couple ramps. Should be right sporty! smile
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: AlCan Closed - 07/05/22
Originally Posted by las
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: AlCan Closed - 07/05/22
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by las
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Entrance should be easy... probably using the washout fan at the bottom...
Posted By: cwh2 Re: AlCan Closed - 07/05/22
Bo and Luke could make it.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
Originally Posted by cwh2
Bo and Luke could make out.
Fixt it...
Posted By: cwh2 Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
How dare you sir. How dare you?
Posted By: 358wsm Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
Thinking it’s great that they’ve got a little loop around figured…. I like that.

Bo and Luke..🙄

I figure that a set of lockers front and rear, winch, high-lift, and chains on all corners….one might find their way to the bottom.
Coming back out shouldn’t be a thang…🥱

That section from just north of Dawson Creek to Watson Lake is one of my favorite places on this entire planet…unless one has been through there it would be hard to explain the emotion stirred. (Maybe like a Grand Canyon viewing experience - times 10)
Posted By: VernAK Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
It looks like they are crossing the creek above the washout......kinda driving across the beaver dam.

The area from Fort Nelson to Watson Lake has the most diverse assortment of big game in North America that I can think of.
Posted By: JeffA Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
About the most interesting and scenic part of that drive.

Always wanted to drive up into that area from Montana and spend a couple weeks, one of those thousand mile wonders of a drive that hasn't happened...yet.
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/06/22
Originally Posted by VernAK
It looks like they are crossing the creek above the washout......kinda driving across the beaver dam.

The area from Fort Nelson to Watson Lake has the most diverse assortment of big game in North America that I can think of.
Is that the sheep-on-road section?
Posted By: 358wsm Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

‘Tis…
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Have made the drive in 6 one-ways, equivalent to 3 roundtrips from Missouri, Kentucky, and Florida.
Never get tired of it, both ALCAN and Cassiar.
First time: 13 days in August 1985, with wife and kids, Missouri to Anchorage.
Last time: 6 days and 23 hours in January 1994, solo, Anchorage to Kentucky. Kids got tired of it, spoiled brats.

I am overdue for another drive. Hope I do not have to fly.
May normalcy soon return to the beautiful ALCAN.
Amen.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
My father drove the ALCAN with an Army buddy in summer 1950. He never forgot the bugs!
Posted By: JeffA Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22

Had to wait for a small band of Caribou to clear off the road along through there once. (Northeast BC)

20+ years ago I was still logging all my kayak trips and we tossed our boats in every lake, stream and river along the Alcan and the Cassiar.
Lots of Grizzlies along those shorelines, made it a little dicey in some narrow stretches.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
I drove the Alcan in July of 1972 on a 1971 Honda CB 350 twin took 9 days to get to Fairbanks from SD. The stretch above Ft Nelson was the worse still had some corduroy road. In places I had to use the wheel ruts as a slot to keep up right. That old Honda would go anywhere on a penny a mile till I got to Canada, the Alcan , and Alaska penny and a half to 2cts a mile up there. Traveled 9400+ miles in 29 days. I hear now days it's pretty much all surfaced. They had wash outs back then too...mb
Posted By: 358wsm Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Speaking of cheap velocity, Bob….
The CB 350 Super Sport would run a quarter mile in 13.8😲
Wasn’t until ’78 when Yamaha gave us their XS 1100 that we saw under 12 seconds.
(I only know this because I was in Junior High then and wrote my English Final as best plagiarized from my subscription to Cycle magazine 🤓)

Them CB’s were bullet proof machines.
——————————-

Back to ‘bender’s point about sheep in the road along that stretch.

Like Jeff said, I’ve seen Caribou running right down the edge of the road (north of the sheep-in-the-road cliffs).

I had built a deck slightly above my truck rails large enough to throw my tent upon so I’d have a quick, high & dry, spot to stretch out and sleep.
Coming from the north and approaching 10:00 p.m. I thought I’d give it a go around Watson Lake.
As I rounded a little grassy bend I figured that I’d pull over there…I mean, it looked like a good spot.
Well, apparently a particular Grizzly thought it was a good spot also, as it was loaded with dandelions.
I slept in the cab of the truck.😏
Posted By: VernAK Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by 358wsm

‘Tis…

Stone Sheep, Mountain Goats, Caribou, Moose, Elk, Whitetails, Mule Deer, Grizzly Beras, Black Bears and Woodland Bison just to name a few.
I've also seen Hungarian Partridge in that area and I imagine there's Sharptailed, Ruffed and Spruce Grouse.
358 you bringing back the memories. I put 21,000 miles on that old cb in 2 years traded it off in the spring of 73 for a new leftover 1972 Kawasaki Mach 3 500 triple cylinder 2 stroke 60 hp as I recall. On the 1/4 it would leave the 750 4 Honda in the dirt but sucking air bad against kawasaki's new dohc 4cyl 900. I was young then and believed that Honda would take me anywhere....mb
Posted By: patbrennan Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
I wanted one of those Z1 Kawasaki 900s in the worst way, just could not swing it and went back to school instead. They were a sharp looking bike!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Magnum Bob;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that you're getting weather you need where you're at and you're well.

Thanks for sharing your memories of the Alaska Highway as well as the motorcycles. Very cool on both topics. cool

The last time I was on the Alaska Highway was either '71 or maybe '72, but I was sick with the flu for most of the trip to Whitehorse and don't recall a whole lot of it other than it was gravel, but as we were from Saskatchewan that was standard fare.

The motorcycles bring back memories from a wee bit later as I spent the summer of '79 I believe it was fooling with what I recall was a 1973 Kawasaki 500 triple for my girlfriend's brother.

If I'm recalling correctly and I might not be, it was an early electronic ignition - as in no points - and though I got it working sometimes on some days, it beat my best efforts to get it 100%.

One night however, when I had it running really well, I was cruising a back dirt road in the neighborhood and one of my cousin's buddies who all rode CB 750 Hondas came up and we agreed to a quick run from about 30mph just for fun. For sure that 500 triple 2 stroke took it out easily on the short roll out, but I want to say the CB 750 likely had more top end speed?

Oh, I hit a crow on that bike too one day. Don't recommend that activity whatsoever, no sir, not at all...

Thanks for the memories and all the best.

Dwayne

PS;
Drive BC shows the highway is still open with one lane, pilot car control at the wash out.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
My relatives further south in British Columbia have always referred to the highway authorities as, "The Ministry of Holidays". There may be a message in that bit of wit.
Thanks for your memories Dwayne long time back for me. In 1972 Kawasaki made 2 versions both featuring orange paint and tank stripes but one version had drum frt brake chrome fenders and electronic ignition. I had the other with painted fenders ,disc frt brake and a 3 points and 3 coil ignition system. They were explosively fast , mine would just about hit top end at the quarter mile. Danged near learned the hard way that if you wanted to hammer it off the line or a low speed crank on your balls better be up on the back end of the tank to keep the frt end down instead a reaching for the sky. You know it's a miracle I survived that bike and riding it as hard as I did. Quit riding bikes at 25 so I could make it to 40. Still miss it though, it was a mechanically addictive drug..mb
flintlocke;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's behaving for you and you're well.

If you're okay sharing, what part of BC is your family from?

For sure in the south Okanagan here it's been called the "Department or Ministry of Holidays" since we moved here.

It used to be that the Ministry did all the road maintenance, but then in 1988 then Premier Bill Vander Zalm privatized that portion of it which changed a few things up. That said, depending upon the winter I'm not sure that we're getting the best job from the lowest bidder always, you know?

Sort of like when folks throw around that "military spec" term when really it does mean that they were the lowest bidder to just make the requirements - but I digress... wink

As far as highway repairs go, it'll be contracted out and if it's a major highway blocked, BC governments of all political stripes usually throw everything including the kitchen sink AND the dishwashing machine at repairing it. Sort of like fighting wildfires that way - the residents seem to have a pretty high tolerance for silly spending when it means that our towns don't burn down or that we can keep eating.

Funny how that works isn't it? laugh

Nowadays with the labor shortages we're seeing in all industries it'll depend on how many companies have the manpower to do it, but the Ministry in all probability will throw as much money at as many contractors as required to get it open.

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by BC30cal
flintlocke;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's behaving for you and you're well.

If you're okay sharing, what part of BC is your family from?

For sure in the south Okanagan here it's been called the "Department or Ministry of Holidays" since we moved here.

It used to be that the Ministry did all the road maintenance, but then in 1988 then Premier Bill Vander Zalm privatized that portion of it which changed a few things up. That said, depending upon the winter I'm not sure that we're getting the best job from the lowest bidder always, you know?

Sort of like when folks throw around that "military spec" term when really it does mean that they were the lowest bidder to just make the requirements - but I digress... wink

As far as highway repairs go, it'll be contracted out and if it's a major highway blocked, BC governments of all political stripes usually throw everything including the kitchen sink AND the dishwashing machine at repairing it. Sort of like fighting wildfires that way - the residents seem to have a pretty high tolerance for silly spending when it means that our towns don't burn down or that we can keep eating.

Funny how that works isn't it? laugh

Nowadays with the labor shortages we're seeing in all industries it'll depend on how many companies have the manpower to do it, but the Ministry in all probability will throw as much money at as many contractors as required to get it open.

All the best.

Dwayne

Truly one of the most kind and considerate people on the Fire... you should teach manners classes to some of the others. Thanks for being "you"
Magnum Bob;
Thanks again for the reply.

My goodness do I hear what you're saying about it's a miracle we're still here. That's absolutely true in my case as well.

When I was 15 I was in a significant wreck that very nearly caused me to cross over, so when I got out of the 7 week stay in the hospital with a body cast on, I promised my family I'd endeavor to do better and sold my snowmobile. I'd sold my last bike to finance my first car, so I didn't have one of them at that time.

Then this Kawasaki came along and I rationalized that it wasn't a dirt bike and hey, since I didn't have a bike license I wouldn't take it on too many well traveled roads, right? eek

I remember the orange Kawasaki bikes from that time period, in fact my then girlfriend's oldest brother had an orange Kawasaki 900 which again now that I think of it was likely why the middle brother got the one I was fooling with. It was a dark green maybe? With a different tone on part of the tank??

Can't recall all the details now through the fog of years, but I suppose it was a couple days/decades back.

After I hit the crow - one out of a flock on the road that I was "sure" would get out of the way in time, but again I was incorrect - anyways after the crow incident I slowed down a fair bit on that bike and returned it to the owner in defeat a few weeks later.

Thanks once more for dredging up some recollections of a time that's long passed and like as not never to be seen again.

All the best.

Dwayne
Sasha and Abby;
Good afternoon to you down in South Carolina sir, I hope that the day's been as kind to you as you've been to me and that you're well.

Thanks for your kind words, I do appreciate them and will do my utmost to deserve them in future posts.

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
I think it was mentioned above, that it was caused by a beaver dam washing out.

6-8 weeks for repair.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2022/07/04/part-alcan-highway-destroyed-after-road-washes-out/
ironbender;
Thanks for the link and good afternoon my old friend, I hope you and your family are well.

While a lot of people think that beavers are cute and cuddly, they create a whole lot of mayhem all over Canada with their proclivity for altering water courses and flow rates.

Personally I believe they're bitter and vengeful seeing as the country was founded on killing them for their fur.

It's their version of repatriation payments.... laugh

Yah, that's it. wink

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/07/22
I love looking at a cute beaver!

We’re finally getting a little much-needed rain. It remains to be seen if it’s not too little, too late for this years hay.

Hope y’all are well Dwayne.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: AlCan Closed - 07/12/22
ironbender;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope you're still getting some of this rain that's hitting here in Whitehorse.

It seems our wet Okanagan spring weather followed us all the way up the Cassiar Highway and if that's the case - you're welcome... grin

We talked to a chap today from Fort St. John who came up the Alaska Highway and said that it's open now - still with the pilot car but semi's are making it through so RV trailers are no big deal.

We're hoping to head home that way just to see some different country. The last time I'd been up the Cassiar was '87 and it was like a decent logging road back home, but now it's all hard surfaced.

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/13/22
Thanks, Dwayne. My last time on the Cassiar was 5 years ago next month when I hauled my kubota tractor up from WA. Beauty trip, and took my wife along. Her first time on that hwy. I love that drive!

As to weather, it’s become somewhat variable. Hot yesterday (70*F+; 21-23* or so down there) 😏

A bit more precipitation over the next 5 days or so. I just hope it’s not raining on cut hay shortly!

Have a great trip, pard!
Posted By: las Re: AlCan Closed - 07/13/22
Last time I drove down (a few years ago), I was both impressed and depressed at the road changes. Haul-ass surfaces, but they took out all the road-side pullovers, dang them, leaving only a few gravel pits and the like for us truck-campers. Gotta hunt for them now when it comes time for stopping, and sometimes it's a long stretch between! We ended up turning back a few miles several times.

Next time down, I'm going to GPS all those we pass for the trip back up.

I am definitely going to try to hit Smith River Falls in a timely fashion, both ways!
Posted By: ironbender Re: AlCan Closed - 07/13/22
I’ll buy GPS points if you sell!
Posted By: Tsavo Re: AlCan Closed - 07/13/22
Missed that road washout by 12 hours, was debating whether to travel the ALCAN or the Cassiar on our trip out and decided on the ALCAN at the turn.

Have made the round trip outside 6 times through the years and find the road better every time. Travelled the ALCAN in a variety of vehicles the first trip up in 75 on a 1969 Harley XLCH with a Donnie Smith weld-on hard tail. Yes, I’m well aware of what rough traveling and high adventure are.

The most recent trip out was in a 2021 Ford F450 w/Arctic Fox 992 slide-in camper. Believe me nowadays that road is a piece of cake. Highly recommend if you are even dreaming about making this trip you owe to yourself to do it. After all you only live once.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: AlCan Closed - 07/16/22
Sure is a long drive, especially solo
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: AlCan Closed - 07/16/22
Can't speak for Canuks, but I'd bet reaucracy is the same everywhere.

PA 26 had a landslide that blocked the road near Saxton a few years ago.
100 yards or so of highway buried one afternoon.

Of course the signs went out, the news showed up, idiots from Harrisburg
came out. "It's gonna take weeks to clear".

Geologic survey, enginerds.....

Looked at my wife.
"Let the freaking Rednecks that operate the trucks and
equipment loose. Bring them from Bedford and Hollidaysburg, start digging and hauling. By tomorrow morning they will be moving dirt from both ends.

The enginerds and geoligists will be at Starbucks in Harrisburg planning a meeting.

To discuss what they need to do, to collect the data they will need,
to be able to decide what needs done."
Posted By: BC30cal Re: AlCan Closed - 07/19/22
ironbender;
Good afternoon my friend, I trust the day has behaved for you all and you're doing well.

This is just a personal update on the washout as we passed through it this morning.

It is pilot car controlled and we lost 6 minutes on the destination punched into the Garmin, so that's not too bad. We saw everything from Harley hogs to B trains hauling fuel to Class A motor homes towing full sized pickups coming and going today, so any vehicle is fine.

As mentioned in another thread, I'd maybe not take a low slung car or a hog up through Dawson City right now as the construction was pretty intense and road soft, etc. Most anything else should be golden however.

Hope that helps someone out in the ether space travelling now or considering the journey.

All the best.

Dwayne
© 24hourcampfire