Home
Posted By: Mountain10mm Concealed Carry in AK - 08/24/22
Never been and thinking about a family trip there next summer or a moose hunt. I have a friend that lives up there. Thought I'd get the fire's opinion too. Are people packing full size 10mm's, 44's and 454's and walking around town with them on? Or do they leave them in the truck and strap on a 9mm in town? My buddy says you seldom see locals carrying guns or even in the woods. I'm not doubting that, but wondering if it's more a local thing were he is, or statewide.
Hi Mountain, I was just up in AK last summer for 2 weeks. They are a constitutional carry state so any US citizen is within their rights to conceal. As for seeing others carrying, I don't think I saw a single person with a gun. I was on the Kenai Peninsula around quite a bit of tourists, though. I kept my Glock 23 concealed on me almost everywhere except the bar. Check out the laws before you go.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Never been and thinking about a family trip there next summer or a moose hunt. I have a friend that lives up there. Thought I'd get the fire's opinion too. Are people packing full size 10mm's, 44's and 454's and walking around town with them on? Or do they leave them in the truck and strap on a 9mm in town? My buddy says you seldom see locals carrying guns or even in the woods. I'm not doubting that, but wondering if it's more a local thing were he is, or statewide.
Where is your buddy located?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/25/22
You see the odd feller open carrying at the grocery store, but it isn't common. Russian River fishing you will see lots of people carrying, some of whom are barely qualified to tie shoes,

But yes., there's a lot of concealed carry.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/25/22
It's called concealed carry for a reason.
Posted By: 79S Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/25/22
Was in the lgs in the valley while back a fella had one pistol on his right hip and another on his left. The icing on the cake was the pistol he had strapped to his ankle.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/26/22
Originally Posted by 79S
Was in the lgs in the valley while back a fella had one pistol on his right hip and another on his left. The icing on the cake was the pistol he had strapped to his ankle.
Better than the one I saw in sportsman’s with an ankle monitor on! 😂
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/26/22
He's outside of Anchorage. I know, I get the concealed, is well, concealed part. Maybe I should clarify more. I think of big guns in Alaska, SA Revolvers, full size 10mm's, handguns that really can't be stuffed down your pants easily. So if you're in the bush, then get gas, or fishing supplies or something, do you take the big gun in your chest rig off? I'm sure walking around town, people aren't strapping on 44 mag Anacondas. I understand that.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/29/22
If I'm wearing my chest rig and I decide to run into town, it's no biggie to put on a sweatshirt or jacket. or take it off and leave it in the truck if I have to.
But yea, you see people open carry from time to time.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/29/22
I spent six weeks in Alaska not too long ago, put 5,000 miles on the rental car and hiked every day. I saw "locals" on the trails often and most carried handguns that were easy to see and access for outdoor self defense. I carried everywhere I went outdoors but never in town, didn't think it necessary. My go-to is Glock 10mm with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo. The only time I felt the need for CC was on a Friday night at a Walmart in Anchorage, pretty tough local crowd.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 08/30/22
I carry my 10mm in a shoulder holster and wear a jacket if I am in town, otherwise I carry it on my hip.
Posted By: las Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 09/08/22
It ain't agin the law... some do, some don't.

As stated above, if you are worried (er- "prepared"), for varmints of any kind outdoors, more accessible is possibly better than concealed. But one is safer out there than in town anyway - varmints vary.

Just back from 2 weeks across Cook Inlet, bears on the beach and through the yards daily and nightly - but they are good bears. There are a couple human neighbors not so much, I was told. Never carried, never felt threatened. The shotguns were useful on squirrels.

I did get a couple decent (not outstanding) bear pics with the Canon, which I'll have to get on the computer after moose season. I was kept too busy to go "hunting" really good pics. Incidental take only.

I'll be packing a HiStandard .22 on the hip moose hunting, starting about Monday. I might be charged by a grouse.....

The .338 should be capable of anything else.
Posted By: maggie Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 09/13/22
Las,
Just curious what model Hi Standard, you're toting, kinda like those ole girls.
Dave
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 09/26/22
I live in Anchorage and I conceal carry; and so do some of my friends. I don't make it a point for people to know that I carry. I think you will be surprise at how many folks conceal carry in Anchorage. You will see some people open carry, too.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Concealed Carry in AK - 09/26/22
late to the party but I am very rarely anywhere without a gun. Concealed or not. I just really don't worry much but in town I tend to conceal it most of the time to have the advantage so to speak against 2 leggers. And thats the whole thing. 2 leggers its hidden. 4 its not.
© 24hourcampfire