Home
Posted By: bearstalker Who you voting for? - 10/30/02
For governor that is? I haven't decided yet, but I know my vote won't go for Fran Ulmer. I've been registered since I was 18, but this will be the first time that I've ever voted!
<br>
<br>I tried to vote once before for the next President(who is Bush now), but I was in basic training at the time and the damn Army wouldn't even let me vote for who I wanted to!
<br>
<br>All they said was, "thank your recruiter for that!". [Linked Image]
Posted By: Kodiak Hunter Re: Who you voting for? - 10/30/02
I tell you what...I watched the debate on TV, and this is DEFINATELY the time to choose between the lesser of 2 evils. Neither one impressed me (I'll be voting for Murkowski no matter what) but he looked like a moron up there.
<br>
<br>We need a pro-gun, pro-hunting, NON-democRAT in there!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Who you voting for? - 10/30/02
This will be an interesting election, without a good candidate, but Fran scares me simply because she has obviously been in Tony's camp for a long time and has too much guilt-by-association to be trusted with anything. I believe Tony is the worst governor we have ever had from the hunters' perspective and allowing Fran to continue his ways for another 4 years would be way too risky.
<br>
<br>The commercial fishing industry is so upset with Tony that they are mostly going to be voting for Frank. My fear is that Frank is already convinced he has it wrapped up and that is not the right attitude. Frankly, he is a few wolves short of a pack himself.
<br>
<br>Fran has been shmoozing the AK Outdoor Council for the last few weeks, but they are pretty strongly against her.
<br>
<br>Could be a terrible election for sports hunting...
<br>art
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 10/30/02
But who are you voting for, Sitka? Frank? This is sort of like a poll for us Alaskan posters.
<br>
<br>So far,
<br>
<br>Frank: 2 votes (including mine).
<br>Fran: 0 votes
<br>
<br>
Posted By: Joel S Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
I already voted (absentee at the diamond center) since I'll be in seattle next week. Just like what was already siad. Lesser of 2 evils and frank got my vote.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
Grudgingly, Frank gets my vote...
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
Stats so far,
<br>
<br>Frank: 4 votes
<br>
<br>We need more voters here, guys.
Posted By: BW Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
Frank for me too.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
Damn, who pissed on Fran?!
<br>
<br>Frank: 5 votes
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Who you voting for? - 10/31/02
I just drove around S Anchorage a little bit this am, made a point to drive by a few lower income areas and some higher ones. I saw NO Fran signs on houses, and Frank signs everywhere...
<br>
<br>I was surprised at the huge difference. While Frank winning the suburban vote is pretty much a foregone conclusion, he must win it very decisively to win the statewide vote, I believe. I think it might happen...
<br>art
Posted By: batch Re: Who you voting for? - 11/01/02
I'm going to grit my teeth and hold my nose, then vote for Frank. He grudginly gets my vote but only because Fran's initials indicate what probably would happen to shooters/hunters if she wins.
<br>batch
Posted By: AnnieAK Re: Who you voting for? - 11/01/02
I agree; I'll grudgingly vote for Frank.
<br>I don't like either of them, but he's the lesser of 2 evils.
<br>To heck with fixing the fiscal gap, if we lose ground on the hunting and equal access to natural resources issues, we'll never get it back.
<br>
<br>I'm probably one of the few people in the state who would just as soon get rid of the Dividend. I think it just invites in people who come here just for the short term, and who don't care about this state. I think many of these new people are clueless about hunting and fishing, too. We're getting more and more non-hunters in this state, and if some of these issues ever come to a general vote, they could control the outcome.
Posted By: Joel S Re: Who you voting for? - 11/01/02
I agree Ann. I think they should make it a 3 or 5 year period before you qualify for the dividend. that way it cuts down on some military that does 3 years and leaves the state. I'm not knocking military, I was military up here but I got out and stayed. Alot of people abuse it.
<br>
<br>As for losing our rights thats why the constitutional convention cannot pass. With how hot the urban/rural hunting issue is, I know what one of the first topics on the ballot would be and we (urban) would lose.
Posted By: new2alaska Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
Just like almost everyone else I'll barely be giving the nod to Frank.
<br>
<br>Joel S,
<br>Very few people in the military take advantage of, or even claim the PFD. Most people don't claim it after they leave, and a lot of military people never even become Alaskan citizens. If they want it, it's their right to claim it while being stationed here. Let's not talk about taking another benefit away from people serving our country.
<br>
<br>Jim
<br>
<br>
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
Frank: 8 votes
<br>
<br>I hope Fran ain't reading this!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ray Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
My vote goes to Frank. I have had enough of the present administration and their weack-knee reaction to environmentalists and bunny huggers.
<br>
<br>Also, they didn't fight for the fishing industry, twice vetoed the UA Land Grant, threatened closing the Steese Hwy (for politics), etc.
<br>
<br>Just this week the wolves "buffer zone" around Denali was expanded without any good reason. The game board itself has turned into an animal right group (or so it seems). Right now there are more anti-hunting/trapping resolutions being brought up by animal right groups. You can read about some of these at the AOC web page.
Posted By: Joel S Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
new2alaska,
<br>I beg to differ. I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing match but I know alot of military abuse the dividend. I also know 1 or 2 that havent claimed it because they knew they wouldnt live up here after there tour. I respect that. Lets be realistic, free money....hmmmm
<br>
<br>
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
Frank: 9 votes
<br>
<br>I'd just say cash out the dividend and be done with it.
In reality, both military and civilians abuse the Permanent Fund Dividend. But there are lots of others that take advantage of it simply because it is not illegal to do so. All it takes is one year to become a legal resident of Alaska, so anybody from overseas and the Lower-48 can apply for the PFD as long as they can prove they have been here for the correct period of time. It does not matter if you aren't a US citizen, since all that is required is residency.
<br>
<br>All one needs is a legal address in Alaska, and to prove that one has been here for at least one year. So military, civilians, legal aliens, etc. can legally receive a PFD check.
<br>
<br>To change the residency period of time would require changing the Alaska Constitution. That's the reason why the Zobel's?? won in Court against the State of Alaska in the early 80's. The Constitution was on their side, so they got their PFD even though they were newcomers. Things like these happen every day in Alaska; people leave the Lower-48 in hope to land a job and get a PFD check shortly after, but I imagine that more civilians, from students to fishermen do it at a larger number than military members.
<br>
<br>Well...the main thing is to stay united, at least until we can vote for Frank. After the election, we can argue a little about the PFD.
Posted By: BW Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
Just a note from another military type here...
<br>
<br>I've seen military people get the PFD who've had no intention of staying in Alaska. Can't give any percentages though, as it's not usually a big topic, even during the application period each Spring.
<br>
<br>During my first 4 years in Alaska, stationed at Ft. Wainwright, we did not apply for the dividend. After switching Services, and being stationed in Kodiak, we did start receiving the dividend. That was when we decided to make Alaska our permanent home.
<br>
<br>I personally will not allow my name to be used as a reference for anyone who I feel is not serious about staying here. It's my opinion that the Permanent Fund money belongs to Alaskans, and I will not support any abuse.
<br>
<br>Quite frankly, the type of people who would lie about such things, exist in both the military and the civilian populations.
<br>
<br>However, having lived in Alaska for 15 years now, I would never support any effort to restrict the military from receiving the PFD. There's too many folks like me, who work hard to stay here, and we don't deserve to be lumped into a group that cannot recieve the PFD simply because we are military.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
B.W.
<br>I've been here over 45 years and could'nt express myself any better!
<br>
<br>Count on me to support Frank. He is our only choice.
<br>best,
<br>bhtr
<br>
Posted By: AnnieAK Re: Who you voting for? - 11/02/02
Have you noticed how the Dividend is a big issue in all the election talk, but hunting and game management, and some of the other big issues of the last couple of years are not? I haven't seen the work "subsistence" mentioned anywhere. It was so important Knowles called a special session on it last spring, and now it's not mentioned. Interesting.
<br>
<br>RE: the Dividend. Lots of people abuse the dividend. I turned in info on 1 of them, but I never heard what came of it. First case, several years ago, I got a postcard in my PO box from someone who said they'd had that box the previous year, before I got it, and they were having their dividend check sent there, and would I please call them when it came in, and they gave a phone number. I couldn't believe it. I'd had that same PO box for 11 years. I called the phone number, it was at a business, and they said that person was a new, part-time worker. I gave the info to the state. In another case, a person who was born in Alaska and lived here all their life moved out of state, got a job and bought a house there, and has lived there for 2 years. They still own property in Alaska and visit a couple of times a year. I've know this person for 16 years, and the things they said about the situation really ticked me off. I didn't say anything about it, cause I know of at least one other person who got disgusted with them talking about "keeping Alaska residency to get the dividend" and turned them in this year. I don't know what happened, though. It's so easy to get the dividend, it's easier than getting a library card!!!
<br> Sorry I got this discussion side-tracked, but this seems to be THE topic of the election. I was in Anchorage the day the money was deposited into people's accounts, and I know the definite impression I got was that people really think they deserve it and it's their's, by golly. Keeping the dividend while bringing economic prosperity to the state has become, apparently, not only the politically correct thing to say, but maybe the only way to survive politically. ( BTW,It sure is interesting to see both Hammond and Sheffield writing opinions in the paper.)
Take a look at the following site to see some of the new anti-hunting/trapping stuff coming up. Pay close attention to the names or organizations listed:
<br>
<br>http://www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org/newbogpa.htm
<br>
<br>The "Denali wolf buffer zone" has now been extended, so hunting and trapping within that buffer zone is no longer permitted. Stuff like this is what we have been getting from this administration for the past 7 years. There is an article in the Anchorage paper about the "buffer zone" you may also want to read. There was no reason whatsoever for the buffer zone, but the Game Board leans heavily towards animal right groups.
Posted By: Joel S Re: Who you voting for? - 11/03/02
I would like to apoligize to the military folks for singling them out. As ray mentioned alot of civies do it also. I could have worded it differently. I know I made some folks upset by opening the can but its a subject that makes me mad.
Posted By: BW Re: Who you voting for? - 11/03/02
Joel,
<br>
<br>Just in case your wondering, I wasn't mad, or even feeling singled out. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
Posted By: las Re: Who you voting for? - 11/04/02
Ditto, Batch. Hope I can hold on - my throat's getting sore from all this mouth breathing. Frank.
<br>
<br>My wife teaches in Kenai and her school just finished a hunter ed course. Frank was handing out gun locks as campaign gifts, so they hit him up for locks for all the parents of the kids that took the course, which of course they got. Almost without exception, when the parents received the lock they responded with - "well, this was a waste for Frank- I was voting for him anyway."
<br>
<br>This is a biased sample, tho - both the parents and this thread. I think Ulmer will win. She has the majority of the women's vote, the educator's vote, and Rural/Native vote. She only has to get maybe a quarter - or less- of the rest, and she's in. Doesn't look good for the good guys (us).
<br>
<br>As for the dividend, I say leave it alone. It's the only way any of us will get a piece of Alaska's mineral wealth, which has been confiscated by the state. I'm in favor of re-instituting an income tax - In fact, I think the old one should have only been scaled back some, and not eliminated completely. Yeah, people sneer at the idea of getting money from the state (it's our money!) on one hand, and paying it back with the other, but both people and the state will benefit, as any money we pay in state income taxes reduce our Federal payment, and its more locally beneficial. Second, This type of system is more helpful to lower income people than a sales tax, or other taxes would be. Can't vouch for this, but I saw somewhere recently that a married couple would have to be making $144,000 jointly before they did not realize a gain i.e. "broke even" between dividend and income tax.
Posted By: las Re: Who you voting for? - 11/07/02
Hot dang! Wrong again!!! YEEESSSS!
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Who you voting for? - 11/07/02
las,
<br>
<br>I knew all along that Frank would win. How? Because I counted all the votes here on 24 and Fran didn't have one vote. (grin)
Posted By: yukon_delta Re: Who you voting for? - 11/09/02
I voted straight "green". Just kidding...Murkowski for me.
© 24hourcampfire