Home
Posted By: FNWhelen Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
Just what the title says.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
They make great donors smile

I look elsewhere based on the number of bullet options in 338/375. No doubt an 8mm will work, it just doesn't do anything that the others don't.

Besides that, the 375 h&h feeds nice, shoots nice, and is an easy route to cover anything I need bigger than 30 cal.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
You know better than to bring reasoned thought to the interwebs..
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
I inherited the 325. I have 100 rounds of brass,dies, and some bullets for it. It has never been shot. It is a model 70. As it does nothing for me I am thinking of selling it and spend the money on something else. I am tempted to shoot it just to see how it shoots but wonder how much the value will drop if it has been shot.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
I never understood why they ever made it. A 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speed, will shoot flatter and retain velocity better down range. An 8mm bullet is less than 1/2 the thickness of a dime greater in diameter than a 308 bullet so it ain't going to make a bigger hole.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/28/22
Originally Posted by JMR40
I never understood why they ever made it. A 300 WSM shoots the same bullet weights to the same speed, will shoot flatter and retain velocity better down range. An 8mm bullet is less than 1/2 the thickness of a dime greater in diameter than a 308 bullet so it ain't going to make a bigger hole.
The hole is 13% bigger starting out and the disparity increases as the bullets expand.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
I inherited the 325. I have 100 rounds of brass,dies, and some bullets for it. It has never been shot. It is a model 70. As it does nothing for me I am thinking of selling it and spend the money on something else. I am tempted to shoot it just to see how it shoots but wonder how much the value will drop if it has been shot.
I've been unfortunate enough to inherent a few rifles and shotguns. If I were you, I'd turn it into something you like via whatever means necessary.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

It's a used rifle. The value is not going to "drop" if you shoot it. It's already been fired at the factory. Why do some guys not get that? Do you vote democrat?
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's a used rifle. The value is not going to "drop" if you shoot it. It's already been fired at the factory. Why do some guys not get that? Do you vote democrat?

Well I was hoping for reasonable responses but I see it did not take long for a keyboard cowboy to show up. Being new here I was hoping this forum was not like that.
I have a Montana in 325 WSM. I love it. Plus everybody has a 300 Win Mag. Me too for that matter.

If you like the rifle give it a chance. You might be surprised.

Everything I’ve shot with it from moose to black bears and white tails DRT. Plus mine is not finicky with what you feed it.

One thing I like about it, not everybody has one
wink

Also I’ve never owned or wanted a 270…..
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

Well I was hoping for reasonable responses but I see it did not take long for a keyboard cowboy to show up. Being new here I was hoping this forum was not like that.

Do you know where you are ? This ain't Occupy Democrats on Facebook .... FFS what a maroon
Posted By: colodog Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
An elk hunting buddy in Az. likes his but he can't find the Barnes bullet he wants for it.
Priority goes to the common sizes when there's a shortage so he's using a 44 Rem. instead this year...
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
i never understood why they didn't make a 338 WSM
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

GFY?
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
[quote=FNWhelen]I inherited the 325. I have 100 rounds of brass,dies, and some bullets for it. It has never been shot. It is a model 70. As it does nothing for me I am thinking of selling it and spend the money on something else. I am tempted to shoot it just to see how it shoots but wonder how much the value will drop if it has been shot.

GFY? Boy has no idea with what he's dealing with. LOL
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Seems like you can find new Kimber Montanas in 8mm WSM pretty easily. Might say something about love for this chambering. 300 WSM every day of the week and thrice on Sunday. If you're gonna go 8mm, just go with a Mouser.
Posted By: ldmay375 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

Whether you shoot it or not, I don't see the value changing.

As to the thread title, I like the 325 WSM cartridge. I like 8mm's and short actions. The 325 does that combination just fine for me.

I got over the "it ain't a 338" long ago. I agree it is not a .338. These days, I don't see that as a negative. I still have, plenty of 338 Winchesters.

.308, .323, .338; fits directly in the middle of diameters.

I don't see the 300 mags having much advantage at 300 yards and under distances.
Posted By: HadsDad Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
I like mine.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Originally Posted by gitem_12

^^^ THIS ^^^ OR A 25 WSM ?
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Swamplord it is clear you have nothing of value to add in this thread or any other so from this point on I will not bother to read anything you post.
For those who did make posts of value I thank you.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
Swamplord it is clear you have nothing of value to add in this thread or any other so from this point on I will not bother to read anything you post.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: hogan Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

Exactly~!
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22

Ignore is your friend
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
At the time Winchester said they couldn't get the velocity they wanted with the .338 bullets so went with the 8mm. Doesn't make sense to me, but that was what was reported.
Posted By: North61 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 11/29/22
I sold my own 325 WSM but I liked it. 160 Grain TTSX bullets made a nice sheep load at 3150 fps and 250 grain Woodleighs where death on moose. I sold it as the light weight A-Bolt had a poor design to handle the recoil of the heavy bullet loads and I preferred my 358 Norma. No flies on the cartridge itself and it is a fine choice as is.
Posted By: AK_Troutbum Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/01/22
I wouldn't say "I love my .325 wsm", but it has a place in my safe, shoots and feeds very well, and I am very fond of Kimber's in general, so there is that.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by North61
I sold my own 325 WSM but I liked it. 160 Grain TTSX bullets made a nice sheep load at 3150 fps and 250 grain Woodleighs where death on moose. I sold it as the light weight A-Bolt had a poor design to handle the recoil of the heavy bullet loads and I preferred my 358 Norma. No flies on the cartridge itself and it is a fine choice as is.
I have an A-bolt in 260 and was surprised it kicked like it did ( I know ....weenie in comparison). Swapped recoil pad for a Sims and all that got me was carpet fibers stuck to it. eek

Swapped it for a B and C stock and WOW what an improvement in comfort. Can't image a day at the range with a 325 and original stock would be what I call enjoyable.
Posted By: AK35Whelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/04/22
I'm a fan. I have a Montana also. I haven't gotten to work up much with it, but for bullet choices I have:
160gr TTSX
175gr ACP
180gr TSX
198gr Hammer Hunter
200gr TSX
200gr Nosler Accubond & Partition
220gr Swift A-Frame

The 200gr TSX is my top choice with a B.C. of 0.421 and between 2700-2950 fps. Good to 500yds, no problem. Cautiously optimistic about the Hammer Hunters...
p.s. For equivalent pressure of a moderate load, the 325 with at 200gr TTSX will be carrying about 200ftlbs more energy than the 300 WSM with a 200gr TTSX.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by hogan

Exactly~!

You didn't read much or do any research. Winchester tried to make a 338 WSM, thinking it would be a "natural". No matter what they tried, it didn't perform well, so they narrowed it down to an 8MM, but they knew enough to realize the American average shooting public nimrod looked down their noses at anything 8MM, named it the 325 and marketed it that way.

The 338 WSM was a failure of design. It's been written about plenty.

I loved my Kimber MT 325. There was no other LW production rifle in a relatively powerful medium bore at the time I got it. It was to be a plains game/elk/moose rifle my deteriorating back could pack around, and for that it was great. With a 3-9 Leupold it was sweet to carry and plenty accurate. My grandson has it now and would mess up pretty badly anyone who tried to get it away from him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only thing I got to shoot with it was a big cow elk, then health intervened.
Posted By: FNWhelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by AK35Whelen
I'm a fan. I have a Montana also. I haven't gotten to work up much with it, but for bullet choices I have:
160gr TTSX
175gr ACP
180gr TSX
198gr Hammer Hunter
200gr TSX
200gr Nosler Accubond & Partition
220gr Swift A-Frame

The 200gr TSX is my top choice with a B.C. of 0.421 and between 2700-2950 fps. Good to 500yds, no problem. Cautiously optimistic about the Hammer Hunters...
p.s. For equivalent pressure of a moderate load, the 325 with at 200gr TTSX will be carrying about 200ftlbs more energy than the 300 WSM with a 200gr TTSX.
From your handle I think you have a Whelen. How does felt recoil compare?
I think I read somewhere that the .358wsm is decent.
Posted By: AK35Whelen Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
I think the 325 is a bit stiffer and faster recoil. But I have it in a light stock. It is just a bit under 6.5lbs with the scope. The Whelen is a sporterized Gewher 98 with a wood stock. I don't have the weight on that one, but its a wood stock, so guessing it is around 7.5lbs. I've heard the recoil on the 325 is untenable, but it doesn't bother me much for something I don't shoot much.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
I love mine and will use it for life. Without it, I am unsure whether the satellite bull I bagged this year would have gone down before getting too far away due to my suboptimal shot placement.
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
Let me know if you want to sell or trade for a 338 Federal in a Sako?
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
Yeah. If anyone is looking to part with their sucky, no-good 325 WSM at a reasonable price, preferably it being an XPR, give me a PM.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
I like my 325 WSM Montana too. There was a member on here who used one to kill a number of grizzlies in AK. Seemed to work with no issues.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Any love for 325 wsm - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by JMR40

Sounds like the 270 vs 280 argument.
© 24hourcampfire