Home
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Made by an outfit called Gunslinger. Any fans?
Posted By: TX35W Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
The best, as far as I can tell. They give good retention but are slick from any draw angle. I use them with a number of different guns.

Once I tried one, I ended up with a bunch of leather chest rigs gathering dust.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Yup, for years now. Own 4 different ones.

🦫
Posted By: memtb Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

I like them, and have 2 of their holsters……unless I’m using my handgun for hunting! Very noisy removing the firearm from the holster. For hunting……I prefer leather! memtb
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
I've got a GS Holster that a guy out in the valley makes. Picked it up for like $75 from Alaska Ammo. Seems to look pretty much the same as a Kenai holster to me, but I've not messed with one.

GS Holsters
Posted By: wy0ming Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Great for an automatic. I did not like the one I had for my L frame. Very comfortable for a glock or similar though.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Nope. Very disappointed in the product and customer service.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
I've heard nothing but good things, so that's interesting Mike.
I don't use them as the hpg fits my usage better, but I like the idea. I have a razco that is supposed to run under the hpg, but I have never actually used it

https://www.razcogear.com/online-store-1/Chest-Rig-p77365077
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
I've been very happy with mine since I got it.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Great for an automatic. I did not like the one I had for my L frame. Very comfortable for a glock or similar though.
What specifically did you not like about it in respect to your L frame?
Posted By: akpls Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
I got pretty much the same thing for $50 less from Hosking Holsters out of Montana. They do work okay, but I find the kydex too noisy for my hunting guns. For those I use the cordura rigs from Man Gear Alaska.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Do tell. If it's too saucy send me a PM.
Originally Posted by cwh2
I don't use them as the hpg fits my usage better, but I like the idea. I have a razco that is supposed to run under the hpg, but I have never actually used it

Huh? Spell it out! Or do I have to run a glossary for you and Big Stick? smile
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Originally Posted by cwh2

Huh? Spell it out! Or do I have to run a glossary for you and Big Stick? smile

Hill People Gear
Ah gotcha. Thanks.
Yeah that's part of the decision. I like the soft, quiet aspect of a cordura chest bag, but the idea of dealing with a zipper or clip in the heat of the moment gives pause. Kydex is easier to draw, but noisy and tough to use with binocs. I don't usually hike with binocs on my neck, but do glass that way.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22
Originally Posted by ironbender

Do tell. If it's too saucy send me a PM.
Not saucy at all.

We had ordered a Kenai for a G19.

It did not have adjustable tension. It was incredibly tight to the point it took two hands and considerable effort to extract the gun. Emailed the company and they sent instructions on oven heating and basically reforming the kydex. My thought was that’s what was paid for.

Emailed again asking for return authorization. They said it was forthcoming. Never did.

What we did get was another Kenai rig in the mail. Now there were two to return.

Got that done and was told about a local recently-started biz making holsters. Great.

Perfect fit, adjustable tension. Have a total of 4 holsters and two msg pouches from them.

https://dynamicdefensesolutionsak.com/holsters/

Went with them. The only drawback is that they are in high demand with 12ish week backlog, last I talked to them.

No sauce!
Thanks bud. I thought most kydex holsters had adjustable retention...
Posted By: skeen Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/14/22

When I got one for a Sig P220 it was so tight it was a 2 man operation to pull it out. laugh

Posted By: eamyrick Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/15/22
I got one for my g20 and wore in on a 7 day float down the Wulik. No complaints.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/15/22
I got a diamond D for my HK USP. It's not bad for a middle of the road price. Use it as chest rig or shoulder holster
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/15/22

Like everyone here, got it because it got such good reviews.

Maybe they have adjustable tension now. 🤷‍♂️

Very happy with local product.
If I were local ...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/17/22
Well, ya *could* be.
😎
Posted By: smallfry Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/17/22
I use one for a G19 MOS. Its fast out and I’ve tidied-up a hikers hi speed pitbull while wearing it. I can’t quietly draw from it when deer hunting. Yes I hunt deer with a 9mm from time to time. I am interested in that nylon Diamond D?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by skeen

When I got one for a Sig P220 it was so tight it was a 2 man operation to pull it out. laugh

Thanks for posting that!

I have two, one for a 1911 and one for a Glock 21. The one for the 21 acted like a level III retention holster. Now I am, as Phil Robertson puts it, "happy-happy-happy".
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/20/22
My daughter brought this home to me from the Air Force:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Un...c8ea1e1&pd_rd_i=B002KIGGM6&psc=1
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/27/22
I've read lots of complaints about difficulty in drawing one handed and the noise. I read somewhere about a guy who put moleskin or something on inside and outside to quiet it and heated it up to get the retention perfect. Seems like those issues should be addressed by company not individuals though
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/27/22
Talus in Arizona: Hope you find enough answers to your inquiry.
I just wanted to add this. Here in my remote neck'o the woods (largest size county in Montana with a population of only 9,200 people) along our main highway is a full-size "billboard" advertising "Kenai Chester Holsters"!
I have never seen one in person and the billboard made NO reference to a store, anywhere, that sold them - just a picture of the holster in use and the words "Kenai Chest Holsters".
They must have SOME advertising budget?
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by smallfry
I use one for a G19 MOS. Its fast out and I’ve tidied-up a hikers hi speed pitbull while wearing it. I can’t quietly draw from it when deer hunting. Yes I hunt deer with a 9mm from time to time. I am interested in that nylon Diamond D?

While the leather Diamond D is a great holster, their nylon one is garbage in my experience. You cannot safely re-holster one handed with it due to the placement of the retention strap. The design is such that you can end up muzzling some of your tender bits or have the retention strap possibly make the gun go off as you re-holster.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I've got a GS Holster that a guy out in the valley makes. Picked it up for like $75 from Alaska Ammo. Seems to look pretty much the same as a Kenai holster to me, but I've not messed with one.

GS Holsters

I looked at their website when you spotted this and the went to order one last week from them for my Glock 20. They are closed for the season the website says now.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

GS Holsters

I looked at their website when you spotted this and the went to order one last week from them for my Glock 20. They are closed for the season the website says now.

That's weird! My buddy just bought one from them a few weeks ago. Give Alaska Ammo in ANC a call. They usually stock them there and for whatever reason sell them for less than direct from the company. Last time I looked there they were $75 from Alaska Ammo.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Christmas Holiday Break, maybe?
Posted By: Anschutz Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
I have one for my 627. It's pretty tight on retention but I'll heat it up and adjust it. My thought was that with so many N Frames out there, it must have been mine being larger than average. Overall, I'm happy with the product. It's loud but I'm not hunting with the 627 as a primary. The noise hasn't scared off any grouse I've shot with it and it's comfortable to carry or ride a quad with all day.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
After seeing all these comments I will stick with Diamond D leather
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by hikerbum

SMART
[size:26pt][/size]
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Diamond D holsters are great, but I want a to try out a Kydex one. Getting your Diamond D soaking wet is not a fun task. Their non leather holsters, I absolutely despise.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Christmas Holiday Break, maybe?

Website says to go unforeseen circumstances and that they will look to improve shipping times.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by pabucktail

While the leather Diamond D is a great holster, their nylon one is garbage in my experience. You cannot safely re-holster one handed with it due to the placement of the retention strap. The design is such that you can end up muzzling some of your tender bits or have the retention strap possibly make the gun go off as you re-holster.

Well you just saved me some money. I love my leather Diamond D holsters I have and was eyeballing a couple nylon ones.

I had a Kenai holster for a G20 but didn't like it. It was well built but I didn't like how it rode on my chest. The DD rides a little lower and off to the side. Maybe Kenai can be adjusted but I gave it to a friend. He likes it.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/28/22
Originally Posted by trapperJ
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Well you just saved me some money. I love my leather Diamond D holsters I have and was eyeballing a couple nylon ones.

I had a Kenai holster for a G20 but didn't like it. It was well built but I didn't like how it rode on my chest. The DD rides a little lower and off to the side. Maybe Kenai can be adjusted but I gave it to a friend. He likes it.
Good to know
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 12/29/22
I ordered a GS on 12/15 and haven’t heard a thing. I see the earlier link says prior orders will be fulfilled so that’s a good sign.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 01/07/23
If I am in the woods I almost always have my g20 and GFI Kenai. It rides well for me under my bino harness when hunting or hiking and has never caused me any issues.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 01/30/23
The GS company is solid - received my holster a few days ago. They stood by the statement on their website.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kenai Chest Holster - 01/30/23
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
The GS company is solid - received my holster a few days ago. They stood by the statement on their website.
Is it made with adjustable retention?
© 24hourcampfire