Home
Posted By: Cariboujack Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/04/23
I saw on this forum that Carlile Connect will ship ammo from Tacoma to Anchorage. I got together with Mac and he did some research and I did some research and put together a plan to ship 50# of ammo to Tacoma. I got lined out with Carlile Connect and Mac sent the ammo to Tacoma. I had to prepay Carlile for the shipping which was about $26.00+ change. They texted me today and told me it had arrived. I was particularly impressed with the boxing and packaging Mac did as it was solid as a rock.

I would do that again, not for just a box but it was several boxes. I just want people to know it’s actually possible and Mac did a good job holding up his end.

Thanks Mackay!!!
Posted By: AGL4now Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/04/23
Good News. Shooters who are friends and/or guys who simply trust each other should be putting together massive orders.
I agree
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/04/23
Thanks for posting that. That's a downright reasonable price.
When you are getting set up with them, they will want dimensions and weight, and they will give you an approximate charge. They will give you an account number and when it gets to Tacoma you prepay. When it comes in they will call you to pick up. Pick up is down on first St, not over by the airport like before.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/04/23
I rarely go to Los Anchorage but a shipment of ammo would give a reason to fly to town!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/05/23
Let me know if you need a local runner. That isn't far from where I work, for better or worse.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/05/23
In state there are a bunch of work arounds to move stuff...
Originally Posted by cwh2

Thanks for posting this Caribou Jack!

How it works is that the ammo is still shipped and insured for free to Carlile in Tacoma WA., as part of the purchase. Then you (just as Caribou Jack described) as the customer/receiver who has the account with Carlile pay the rest of the way with Carlile. With Caribou, I did a fair bit of testing of different box sizes and stuff, to try to make it as economical as possible. It still needs to be sturdy and well packaged since it has such a long journey, and we are not in control of who handles it and how.

Bottom line is that I was actually surprised at the price. I thought it was pretty darn reasonable considering the amount of ammo shipped. There are numerous ways it could be done, including a couple guys going in on an order together on their end.

It looks like a very good way to get ammo from Idaho to Alaska.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/05/23
Any idea how much 10mm 200 gr HC ammo boxes would fit in a 5 gallon bucket, how much it would weigh and shipping rate ?
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

How it works is that the ammo is still shipped and insured for free to Carlile in Tacoma WA., as part of the purchase. Then you (just as Caribou Jack described) as the customer/receiver who has the account with Carlile pay the rest of the way with Carlile. With Caribou, I did a fair bit of testing of different box sizes and stuff, to try to make it as economical as possible. It still needs to be sturdy and well packaged since it has such a long journey, and we are not in control of who handles it and how.

Bottom line is that I was actually surprised at the price. I thought it was pretty darn reasonable considering the amount of ammo shipped. There are numerous ways it could be done, including a couple guys going in on an order together on their end.

Mackay, just a thought, but since you have found a work-around to get your products to Alaska, it might be a good idea to make a note of it on your website.

Also I am in serious envy of that frog-sticker in the picture.

Best to you.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/05/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Any idea how much 10mm 200 gr HC ammo boxes would fit in a 5 gallon bucket, how much it would weigh and shipping rate ?
Why in a bucket?

Seems like it’d be a very inefficient packing method.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Why in a bucket?

Seems like it’d be a very inefficient packing method.

Think so ?

We've been using 5 gal buckets to ship all kinds of stuff to my brother in Oregon and back for many years via air cargo and never had any issues

obviously we can't ship ammo by air cargo but I don't see why it would be a problem for Carlile, ammo remains in original boxes, just packed tight in bucket and newspaper fills the voids and lid is snapped on with a tight fit and duck taped securely

I'd go for a bucket full of 10mm & 9mm ammo
I think the bucket would be protective, but not the packing efficiency* for orthorhombic boxes of ammo. But, yeah, it would work.

*lots of voids.
Originally Posted by ironbender
... orthorhombic...

Dammit, I was following along until professor bigwords showed up.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/05/23
I think that means he watches birds...
Ortho - hurts my bones 😂
Dammit, I was following along until professor bigwords showed up.
In case you ain’t joshing, a 3D rectangle.

hint…..

wink
Oh, i get it. Like an Orthopedantic insole. Thanks professor scholls!
These should work !

gonna pick some up and see how many boxes of 10 mil I can pack in there, I have a 1000 ct box of 180 gr JHP S&B ammo to test with, along with another 1k of misc ammo boxes of different sizes, looks like it's gonna take quite a bit and will be heavy

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
🖕

😏
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Mackay, just a thought, but since you have found a work-around to get your products to Alaska, it might be a good idea to make a note of it on your website.

Also I am in serious envy of that frog-sticker in the picture.

Best to you.

I will be working on updating the website this weekend, reference the shipping to Alaska situation. And I appreciate the kind words.

While it would be possible to put it in buckets, there would be a fair bit of wasted space. By the very nature of the shape of ammo boxes it makes sense to put them in heavy duty rectangular cardboard boxes. I think it is likely the most practical and economical route. That said, if you really want to go with the bucket route and are willing to foot the bill, just about anything is possible.
I agree. The box you shipped me was perfect, IMO.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/06/23
Let me know if you need a local runner. That isn't far from where I work, for better or worse.

Thanks! I may take you up on the offer sometime. Heading Anchorage way late summer I believe.
Just talked to another customer. Going to be shipping a little under 50#s of ammo.

Same deal as with Caribou Jack, I cover the shipping to Carlile Transportation shipping terminal in Tacoma. The customer covers the cost from there. Punching in the box size on the shipping calculator, it is really quite reasonable.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/20/23
I wonder if the same thing could be done with primers and powder?
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/20/23
Just talked to another customer. Going to be shipping a little under 50#s of ammo.

Same deal as with Caribou Jack, I cover the shipping to Carlile Transportation shipping terminal in Tacoma. The customer covers the cost from there. Punching in the box size on the shipping calculator, it is really quite reasonable.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Hardly ever see win-wins when it come to shipping anything to AK.

Great job Mackay & Caribou Jack!
I might add Carlile Connect doesn’t allow you to go over 66# in your shipment. And they want good measurements. Problem is you can’t count on every dealer to be as exacting as Mackay. Go over weight and when it gets to Tacoma, I’m not sure what they will say. If it’s close, ask lots of questions and communicate well with Mackay.
Thanks Caribou Jack.

Yes, the 66# is a good weight limit to bear in mind. One thing though, and I just did this last week is I simply broke the order up into two boxes/shipments so they would each be under 50#s (for UPS) which makes a big difference price wise.

There is almost always a way to work around things as Caribou knows! We did a good bit of research even prior to Carlile.

Success takes work!
Posted By: g5m Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 05/27/23
Not that I'd need it but that is a nice solution!
These .45 Colt 325 grain WFNs are now in production. smile

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...grain-hard-cast-wfn-hammers#Post18470452

smile
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 06/02/23
Those look like real “stompers” 😁
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 06/03/23
I love that bullet profile if one is going to engage big nasty-dispositioned animals.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Thanks Mackay Sagebrush - 06/03/23
i purchased some of his 44 mag 300 grain ammo sure looks nice and i am very impressed ! Pete53
© 24hourcampfire