Home
Posted By: bman940 .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
Since I won't be trekking across continents anytime soon, I have repurposed my .375 H&H as my big pig rifle. This rifle was made by Brown Precision over 25 years ago and has excellent accuracy while not being that fun at the range because of its lightweight. It is topped with a Riton Optics, 3 Tactix 1-8X24 that gets the job done. .375 H&H
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
Having sent more than several Xs lengthwise through Kodiak bears with both H&H and AI versions I think you will find it adequate.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
It might work....
Posted By: bman940 Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
The first 60 pound swine I dispatched, went in the forehead, out the rear and completely eviserated the animal. If I skinned it it would have been ready for the spit. I was thoroughly impressed. Trying to talk some buddies into using it when they hunt, but they are a little scared of the .375. To me, it really doesn't seem to have much more recoil that a 30-06.
Posted By: okie john Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by bman940
To me, it really doesn't seem to have much more recoil that a 30-06.

Agreed, especially in a well-designed stock.

Okie John
Posted By: Cascade Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by ingwe
It might work....

Stunt shooter... wink

bman940, I thoroughly enjoy shooting my 375 H&H. It's a Ruger Number One and I've only shot a few black bear and one unlucky rockchuck with it so far. Works great. I find the 300 gr SPBT Sierra perfectly adequate for rockchuck btw....

The bears each fell to the 260 grain Nosler Accubond which has proven quite accurate and effective. I load it to about 2650 fps.

Guy
Posted By: wyosteve Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/06/23
I use my .375 H&H on pigs regularly. Figure it's good practice and I get more use out of the rifle than just on big game hunts.
Posted By: las Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/06/23
I've always wanted one - no real use for one, but I carried one for several years on USFS trail crew.

But who are you calling a swine, turkey? smile
Posted By: memtb Re: .375 H&H for swine - 08/06/23
I think it will serve you admirably! I’ve used one since around ‘82, the AI version since February’90….they’ve been my only hunting rifles since their purchase!

They’ve been used on everything from Prairie Dogs to moose……neither one has ever let me down! memtb
© 24hourcampfire