Home
Posted By: ironbender Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Better go check on it.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
What's going on in Juneau, a southerner wants to know.
Posted By: las Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
The legislature is there?

Check your ass sets.
Originally Posted by las
The legislature is there?

Check your ass sets.

Oh, thought it was weather related.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Snow load will sink boats in the harbor if not shoveled.

I took the snow rake to my parked-in-the-driveway boat.

55" in 53 hours up on the ski slopes. They didn't even open the chairlifts today due to in-bounds avalanche control work. Snowed 12" in 4 hours in the morning.

Right at 33 deg most of the day at my place, so didn't accumulate too much today. Gonna be sunshine and powder on Wednesday. Feets don't fail me now . . .
Posted By: ironbender Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by SBTCO
3 boats sunk under snow load.

Wet, heavy, snow.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SBTCO
3 boats sunk under snow load.

Wet, heavy, snow.

That sucks.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
55" in 53 hours up on the ski slopes. They didn't even open the chairlifts today due to in-bounds avalanche control work. Snowed 12" in 4 hours in the morning.

What ski slopes are you talking about? I don’t ski but I’m looking for ways to entice the kids.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
https://skieaglecrest.com/
Posted By: JeffA Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/
Posted By: Anteloper Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Snow load will sink boats in the harbor if not shoveled.

I took the snow rake to my parked-in-the-driveway boat.

Right at 33 deg most of the day at my place, so didn't accumulate too much today. Gonna be sunshine and powder on Wednesday. Feets don't fail me now . . .

That IS some heavy snow if they’ll sink in the driveway...
Posted By: 1886nut Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
I'm just a dumb CONUS suburbanite but theres no way to tent a boat to avoid it catching 2000 lbs of wet snow?
Posted By: 907brass Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by 1886nut
I'm just a dumb CONUS suburbanite but theres no way to tent a boat to avoid it catching 2000 lbs of wet snow?

Sure you can tent it; that's very helpful if you can get one built. But firstly you have to understand we're taking about 10,000lbs of snow on a 35ft boat, not 2,000. So even with a tent it's going to be heavy, and you should check your boat to make sure the tent didn't collapse.

Also, with regard to balance and buoyancy, a snowed-on tent is going to move your center of stability up several feet and if there's any list to your vessel at all that will get compounded and also possibly capsize or swamp you.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by 907brass

Sure you can tent it; that's very helpful if you can get one built. But firstly you have to understand we're taking about 10,000lbs of snow on a 35ft boat, not 2,000. So even with a tent it's going to be heavy, and you should check your boat to make sure the tent didn't collapse.

Also, with regard to balance and buoyancy, a snowed-on tent is going to move your center of stability up several feet and if there's any list to your vessel at all that will get compounded and also possibly capsize or swamp you.
Not to mention the weathervane effect of the tent in wind...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
I’d pay good money for a tarp that will hold up to SE AK winds.

Life is good, when you don’t have a boat in the water in January.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24

Does the Juneau harbor dept give a crap and keep those boats afloat?
Posted By: 44mc Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/16/24
ya'll fellows won't believe the dumb ass people here in FL that forget to take the drain plugs out of 100/ 200 tho. dollar boats on the same price boat lift with out a roof on it when it just rains
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/17/24
3 boats sunk in the downtown harbor. The Harbors Department saved a few more from going under. I don't think it's their responsibility, but the consequences of a boat spilling fuel and oil all over the place can't be ignored. I'd guess that 50% of the boats have absentee owners during the winter.

https://www.ktoo.org/2024/01/16/juneau-digs-out-from-massive-winter-storm/
Posted By: 907brass Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by Calvin

They seem to take on a more 'observe and report' mindset than actually helping. Although...over the course of a month my buddy's boat took on 3 feet of water and nearly sank -- his bilge pump shorted out. He heard absolutely nothing from the harbor. Thankfully I checked on it when I was looking at my boat.
It was so obvious that it was really low and listing -- only way to not notice was to not pay attention. Which I think happens often.

And this is far from the only time where boats have gone down. Not quick, but slowly over time.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24

They seem to take on a more 'observe and report' mindset than actually helping. Although...over the course of a month my buddy's boat took on 3 feet of water and nearly sank -- his bilge pump shorted out. He heard absolutely nothing from the harbor. Thankfully I checked on it when I was looking at my boat.
It was so obvious that it was really low and listing -- only way to not notice was to not pay attention. Which I think happens often.

And this is far from the only time where boats have gone down. Not quick, but slowly over time.

People in general just don't care anymore. If I was harbor, I'd do everything I could to prevent, last thing I want is sunk boats and haz mat issues.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Sunk boats are a giant pain in the ass for everyone.

As was mentioned, the owner absentee rates is high and people like leaving stuff unattended.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Sunk boats are a giant pain in the ass for everyone.

As was mentioned, the owner absentee rates is high and people like leaving stuff unattended.
. I get that part, But I think I would write something in a contract and I doubt that would create any issues with not renting slips. Have to be contracted to someone etc.... with contact info and so on. And I hate rules for the record.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thread needs some pics you don’t have to click. Shamelessly stolen from ADN.
Posted By: las Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Boats are a hole in the water one throws money into.

Some holes are badder than others. And can get deeper over time. smile
Originally Posted by las
Boats are a hole in the water one throws money into.

Some holes are badder than others. And can get deeper over time. smile

As holes go; they’re pretty fun.

smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Seems easy enough to pay someone to shovel snow off it before it becomes a problem, if the owner is away.
Posted By: AKislander Re: Got A Boat In Juneau? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
As holes go; they’re pretty fun.

smile

Yes they are! And besides fun they're absolutely necessary for a good many things. I took my old double ender south to pick up a girl and brought her and a young man back up here from that madness down in Puget Sound region. Maybe not necessary to do so by boat but it was a darn fun trip. smile
© 24hourcampfire