Home
This was forwarded to me from an ADF&G employee. I have done nothing to verify its truth... but it is an area we duck hunt quite a bit...

Subject: FW: BEAR ATTACK IN PORTAGEGood Morning, Let me tell you I am very happy to be here to tell this story. My friend Steve Thompson and I were duck hunting on Saturday (10/08/11)in Portage Valley (Alaska) and we were attacked by a brown bear. We are both OK but we killed the brown bear within 10 feet of our duck boat blind. This is one of those stories where you are just glad to be alive to tell it. I have lived and worked in Alaska for over 25 years and been around bears but never thought I would encounter one in my blind while duck hunting. I have provided a brief description of what happened below. We had a small bull moose run about 10 feet behind our duck boat blind.About 30 seconds later, we heard some grass rustling and thought it was another moose, but then we see a brown bear following the trail of the moose. When the bear gets about 20 feet from our blind he looks up and sees us and heads right toward the front of the blind where I am sitting. I fired 3 rounds (3" #4 steel shot) into the bear at pointblank range. My friend says I fired my last round when the bear was 2 feet away. He goes on to say that my head and the bears head were 2 feet apart at one point. After firing my third round, I dove away from thebear and out of the blind and my friend Steve fires 3 rounds (3.5" #4steel shot) into his head that sends the bear to the front of the boat on the ground about 10 feet away. Steve reloads as the bear is doing the death spin. He puts 3 more rounds into the bear. I get up, reload, and fire 3 more rounds into the bear. The bear isn't moving at this point in time. Neither of us was hurt (not a scratch). We were just scared [bleep]. We had 2 dogs with us. The older dog (Mynx) was out of the blind with hackles up about 20 feet away from the bear. The young (5 months) dog(Lulu) was hidden under one of the chairs in the boat, She was shaking and wouldn't come out for awhile. On a side note, we got one duck (a gadwall). I have attached a few photos. You will see our boat blind is destroyed.That was from me diving out one side of the blind and the bear coming in the other. There is also a picture of blood on the blind to show how close the bear was when he got shot. We think the bear was a 7+ footbrown bear. As a department employee, I thought I should send this to some select staff and the staff I work with. I did complete a defense of life andproperty report and turned in the completed report and the skinned bear to ADF&G staff here in Anchorage.

Regards, Tim__________Tim BakerFIshery Research BiologistBristol Bay Salmon ProgramADF&G-Commercial FisheriesPhone: (907) 267-2240Email: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

Heck of a duck hunt...
I guess you could say it really put the "duck" in hunt...
Another good reason I don't duck hunt.

I'll make an exception for geese - they eat waaaay better.

smile

Heck of a Pucker story.
Miss T made some duck the other day that would change your mind...

Did you get the pics with the story Art?
No pics in my version...
For forty years,I wondered how # 4 shot would have worked in lieu of my .44. Now I know.
I would've eaten the Bear, and told F&G that I DLP'd the Ducks!!! Never had a duck that didn't taste like "Swamp water". Ducks are nasty!
Love to eat ducks, the ones that can't dive that is. I like goose a lot , but no goose comes close to fine, fat mallard, pintail, or pan full of teal.

Not too surprised about small shot up close - and lots of rapid shots in succession. I still remember my surprise as a youth in seeing a one ounce load of #6 lead out-penetrated my "powerful" 1 ounce foster slugs at point blank.
The things that make you go 'Hummmm....'??? There is something else going with this story (I'm glad everyone is alive and well), but the write up also has a CYA factor to it as well.

If you, your buddy and dogs just cheated death via a pant's crapping terror incident, your going to preserve the scene for the game wardens/highway patrol to investigate not skin the brun later to be turned over with an email dictation to the important people within your own agency.

These are the folks I would call first:

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/AWT/detachments.aspx
Frankly, it is just one bear in a better place... They have stopped brown bear hunting all around and have only just lately started acknowledging the fact there are way too many, way too close... Killing one bear that might just be curious enough to check people out at those ranges is plenty of reason to whack him in my opinion.

I believe the legal season opened just today and I know a couple people that were watching a bear in the general area... So it might not have shortened its career much.
Originally Posted by LNF150
The things that make you go 'Hummmm....'??? There is something else going with this story (I'm glad everyone is alive and well), but the write up also has a CYA factor to it as well.

If you, your buddy and dogs just cheated death via a pant's crapping terror incident, your going to preserve the scene for the game wardens/highway patrol to investigate not skin the brun later to be turned over with an email dictation to the important people within your own agency.

According to page 16 in the reg book:

Game animals taken in defense of life or property belong to the state. If you kill a bear, wolf, wolverine, coyote, beaver, fox, lynx, mink, weasel, muskrat, marten, or river otter, you must salvage the hide and skull and surrender them to the state.

All bear hides must include all the attached claws. A surrendered hide and skull must have been completely removed from the carcass.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

eek eek eek

Had a muskrat climb into the blind once - Virgil kicked at it and it left...

Johnny $
killed a bear within 10' of our duck blind. duck blind destroyed from me going out one end and the bear coming in the other. total shots fired from point blank range (2 feet) 12 gauge three inch mag, six shots, # 4 shot. 3 1/2 inch mag, six shots, # 4 shot. 7+ foot bear, one gadwall. Scared [bleep], yet had the presents of mind to skin the griz and strength to haul the hide out.

I want pics of the carcass and the hide and the destroyed boat and the location. A combined pound of steel (just say 1 1/4 oz. shot loads times 12 rounds), shot feet away @ 800 miles per hour (1200 fps) is going to leave .73 caliber holes...that is almost 3/4" holes in that hide.

One man's word against a necropsy could show the bear got shot in the ass for nosing around, then got pissed...but like you say one more bear in a better place.

Presents of mind? I'm going to assume you meant "presence" of mind, and will write that off on my taxes as a charitable donation.

When you are involved in a traffic accident, do you have the presence of mind to not flee the scene? Or do you stay because you are legally required to do so?

Perfectly legal actions being interpreted as a cover-up/conspiracy always makes you wonder about the interpreter.

Then again, you do live in NM, and thank god for that.
You are correct, I don't live in a town of a 1/4 million people like anchorage, ak. Total population where I live is two, me and my wife. Neighbors? Far and few between. Which I do thank
God for, each and every day.

If the Alaskan regs on pg 16 are correct this state biologist should have also known to included the griz skull, which is left out of the detailed account when considering number of shots fired and by whom and how dogs were scared.

What I do not understand is when something like this occurs, is the evidence turned over to the game and fish department or the highway patrol. Because the latter is the enforcement arm of the wildlife regulations in Alaska.

Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

eek eek eek

Had a muskrat climb into the blind once - Virgil kicked at it and it left...

Johnny $

Had two muskrats climb - well actually jump from the water - who knew? into the boat once..... and WE left, all four of us - and we were anchored out. It WAS about 90 degrees and we were teenagers,ostensably fishing, wearing swim-trunks and T-shirts.

We had netted one of a half dozen babies swiming single file behind the two adults as they came swimming alongside - (Don't do that. smile ), so piracy laws likely weren't in effect.

Might also have been a little dicey getting shackles and blindfolds on the little buggers before making them walk the plank.
LNF - we don't have a Highway Patrol.

We have State Troopers - which would be the same as your "HP" and Protection Officers, whose primary assignment is wildlife.

BUT, they are the same agency- just wear different uniforms with different "regularily assigned" duties. As such they cross-dress (so to speak) in their duties as the situation calls for.

As enforcement, they are a seperate agency from Fish and Game, who also have enforcement powers when need be. State biologists can write citations (at least for F&G violations), in other words. But if there is a Trooper or PO available, they have them handle it.
LNF---You'd do better to second guess the Mexican border policy....your CSI-FU is admirable but misplaced. confused
Also LNF - the hide, claws, and skull all have to be turned over in a DLOP. It is REQUIRED that these be salvaged! It is not required that the site be preserved in "pristine" condition for an officer to investigat- this often doesn't happen, period. "Field judgement" by the person involved is usually sufficient unless something is hinky about his story.

Such as the two non-res GI's out of Galena (many years ago)who claimed DLOP on a charging moose.

The double-lung/rib bullet wounds mitigated against them..... smile And yes, the PO did fly out to the kill site and look it over on that one.
Las,

If your state fisheries and wildlife bios are writing NTA, what is their conviction rate in front of a jury compared to your state patrol wildlife officers?

It seems the stick up your ass must have a stick up it's ass...
Originally Posted by cwh2

Really now? Just because DADT was repealed doesn't mean you need to come out of the closet thinking about straight guy's asses.
That is to funny. Permission to use it as my signature?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This isn't the first time a Grizzly was killed in such a manner. This story was from the 1800's...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And lady luck smiles on the hunters thrice: they survived, have a whale of a story to pass down, and will have a nice nest egg after agreeing to sell their story/become sponsors to the gun and ammo products used (AKA the highest bidders)... wink

That's a helluva' story. Bet those boys were cursing the plugs in their scatterwompers something fierce. smile
Apparently you have confidential inside information regarding a crime and a cover-up while all we have is a copy of an email. Carry on.

LMAO.
Glad everything is just ducky with the hunters.
As long as Alaska's state wildlife law enforcement folks write it off as good, then that should be fine with all of us. Just seems from the pics that bear got dragged around alot, boat doesn't seem too torn up for sitting on land while this happened, (yet the bow is pointed in several different directions), bear looks excellent for taking all those close range 12 gauge loads, moose ran off I guess. The write up is alot more dramatic then the pics.
Originally Posted by Irving_D

I didn't invent it, just saw the signs that it had happened... use away.
Maybe it would do to have some 00 buckshot or slugs handy as reloads next time just in case. Number 4 shot vs a brown bear, wow!
Oh crap, you shouldn't have told some people you killed a bear with bird shot whistle
Originally Posted by LNF150
As long as Alaska's state wildlife law enforcement folks write it off as good, then that should be fine with all of us. Just seems from the pics that bear got dragged around alot, boat doesn't seem too torn up for sitting on land while this happened, (yet the bow is pointed in several different directions), bear looks excellent for taking all those close range 12 gauge loads, moose ran off I guess. The write up is alot more dramatic then the pics.

For crying out loud, you a CSI or just looking for a arguement. You wern't there so accept it or take a prozac. Stuff happens, and if you have ever been in the close company of a brown bear you might just might have a clue to self preservation. Before you start a rebutle with me, take a look at my post on the next page of Alaska forums labled [Alaskan Kodiak] thats me. You may consider a appolgy to the men and ladies on this forum.
jeff~
Originally Posted by Irving_D

I didn't invent it, just saw the signs that it had happened... use away.
Well thanks for sharing
Drove by the site of the incident twice today and saw a flock of ravens in a tree quite a way from where it occurred, but I bet it was a carcass they were eyeing... Wonder if another bear has made it in on the kill... Season opened Saturday IIRC.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/girdwood-duck-hunter-recounts-unbelievable-grizzly-attack
[Linked Image]

It was shot with bird shot - not by a BMG, tank or run over by a semi.

I'll bet that the duck hunters wanted to drag the bruin and their gear to someplace dry and more flat for skinning.
"I'll bet that the duck hunters wanted to drag the bruin and their gear to someplace dry and more flat for skinning."

So they did... wink
I love it when a plan comes together. cool
well...as long as no wolves were killed.

Looks like the bear took one under the chin. wink
Originally Posted by kenjs1
well...as long as no wolves were killed.

Now that is funny! smile
Say Sitka, did I read a few months back that lately you were carrying a light weight .357 while stream fishing in AK? I thought I read that, but never did ask you to elaborate on your thought process on that choice.

Did I read that wrong?
IF carrying, that is the usual...

I would feel safer unarmed ANY day where those guys were than I do walking through a local mall. A while back I stopped there and looked. Where we sat opening day of duck season is in sight of the cabins in the photos. That wierd thing is not going to change the way I do things. It was simply strange.

For most other situations the handgun would be there but incredibly unlikely that it would be fired...
Originally Posted by ironbender

Looks like the bear took one under the chin. wink

I missed that! Classic! smile
IF carrying, that is the usual...

I would feel safer unarmed ANY day where those guys were than I do walking through a local mall. A while back I stopped there and looked. Where we sat opening day of duck season is in sight of the cabins in the photos. That wierd thing is not going to change the way I do things. It was simply strange.

For most other situations the handgun would be there but incredibly unlikely that it would be fired...

When you do carry the .357, is it loaded with rounds with bear in mind, or two legged varmits? Solids or hollow points?
Hard cast for either... I am around bears enough to realize the obvious ones are not the problems, generally. The bears hidden in brush protecting a carcass are the real problem and they are the sneaky basturds you don't get to know about until too late for anything.

I have posted pictures here of a scapula from a Kodiak bear Ol'Blue shot. I took the time to clean the meat off it to show just how thick bear bones aren't. An orange handled knife held on the opposite side of the fresh scapula can be seen through the bone!

Yeah, big old bears have more bone, but they tend not to be the problem as often as the recently disenfranchised males...

Maybe Kodiak bears have a vitamin D deficiency, don't get enough sunlight/have too much covered skin; to make vitamin D, and have osteoporosis?
Ol'Blue's bear had some serious dental issues, and lots of pores showing in the osteo... Want to say the bear had canines missing at an angle, one top, one bottom... really skewed the face a bit and really looked painful, like a North Roader! And it was on a North facing beach behind a big mountain. So all of that makes sense!
Hard cast for either... I am around bears enough to realize the obvious ones are not the problems, generally. The bears hidden in brush protecting a carcass are the real problem and they are the sneaky basturds you don't get to know about until too late for anything.

I have posted pictures here of a scapula from a Kodiak bear Ol'Blue shot. I took the time to clean the meat off it to show just how thick bear bones aren't. An orange handled knife held on the opposite side of the fresh scapula can be seen through the bone!

Yeah, big old bears have more bone, but they tend not to be the problem as often as the recently disenfranchised males...

Thanks. I have often wondered about the real advantage of lugging around heavy cannons when just guessing I would I think a head shot is what would be needed to stop a big bear from getting a hold of you. Likewise wondered if a .357 loaded with Buffalo Bore would be enough to drop a brown in it's tracks if one was lucky enough to put one on his head. Sounds as if your confident in the .357s capability to do so.
More confident I will never need to... BB would be good...

Lots of funny stuff about bears out there. A former poster from Canada said to shoot charging bears under the chin (hence Ironbender's joke) which is real funny if you have actually seen a bear charge. Only a Smurf could see under the chin unless the ground was real uneven. But so many think bears are so tall!
To be clear, a 357 is not going to give me the protection I would want in any situation where encounters are going to be pressed. If a bear does not yield immediately, I do... When holding a big rifle I might push a point.
I'd like to see the hide on that bear after being skinned out. Man there must have been a lot of big holes! Ha ha
Under the chin is the obvious shot when bears are charging on only their hind legs, which is very common...........in fiction movies.
pak
Under the chin is best used when they
're on top of you chewing off your scalp.
Originally Posted by pak
Under the chin is the obvious shot when bears are charging on only their hind legs, which is very common...........in fiction movies.
pak

grin

i believe I've seen that movie!

went with a smurf
© 24hourcampfire