Home
Posted By: m_stevenson XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
We are coming back to Alaska this summer, and need a little feedback about boots.
Last time I brought my Big Boy Burleys and while they work well, I don't think they are as suited for boat use as the Xtratuf boots.
There is a local sporting goods store near me that has USA made blems for a great price. I was thinking about boots for me and my wife. Should I get the insulated ones? Or are the uninsulated with good wool socks the way to go in July?
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
Uninsulated......
Posted By: Unalakleet_Yooper Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
+1 on the uninsulated
Posted By: SpartanGunner Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
I was at Sweeny's the other day and the guy there explained to me that the boots that they were making in China now were better quality that the boots that they made in the USA.

He showed me where the uppers were put together using better techniques and the soles were put together using glues that they couldn't use in the US. Also, the Chinese made boots don't come with the sticky gook on the outside of the boot.
Posted By: labdad Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
I, too, was at Sweeney's to get a new set of LaCrosse ankle fits. Better or not it still pisses me off to see they are built in China. Need to bring back the old Red Ball's and make 'em here in the good 'ol U.S.A.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
Non insulated, and get the felt insole.
Posted By: BW Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
I've always preferred, and bought, the insulated version.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
I like the uninsulated Xtra-Tuffs, with a pair of merino wool socks. I need to new ones this year, as well. I've had my older pair for 9 or 10 seasons now, and they are finally giving up on me. They are cracking at the ankles.

The newer pair of XT's are a huge disappointment, though. I bought them in 2008, and they gave up after only three seasons.

While I hope my next pair of XT's are more like my first pair, I doubt I'll ever own another pair of Muck boots, though. The toe cracked on one of the boots at about six months, and they have progressively fallen apart ever since. They have been water tight up to this season, even though they looked like crap, but I got wet feet at the boat ramp last weekend. They're toast.
Posted By: Calvin Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
I like uninsulated with wool socks.
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
another vote for UNinsulated...and definitely another vote for the insoles....

I wear them pretty much daily...in fact, I've even been known to hunt goats in them...though I may or may not recommend that...especially when you have run out of Aquaseal and have to use duct tape to try and plug holes... smile

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AKBoater Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
My wife likes the insulated but I go for the uninsulated with wool socks. And as someone else said, the wool insoles are great.
Posted By: Bear_in_Fairbanks Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
My moose hunting boots are X-tra Tuffs & I wear 'em everyday for 3 weeks of our season and are uninsulated. I get 'em so there is a snug fit while wearing 2 pair of socks, 1 light and one heavy. In addition, I strongly advise you put a felt pad in the bottom of the boot and then an arch support.
Doing this will allow you to wear them all day with a lot less discomfort.
When buying them, try them on with the socks you're gonna wear AND a felt inner sole AND an arch support. There should be a snug fit with little movement of your foot. Get 2 sets of felt inner soles and take the used one out at night to dry out.
X-tra Tuffs are great for what we do. Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12

Uninsulated XT's. Spenco insole.

Mucks if you want insulation.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/08/12
uninsulated for me other wise my feet are on fire.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I like the uninsulated Xtra-Tuffs, with a pair of merino wool socks. I need to new ones this year, as well. I've had my older pair for 9 or 10 seasons now, and they are finally giving up on me. They are cracking at the ankles.

The newer pair of XT's are a huge disappointment, though. I bought them in 2008, and they gave up after only three seasons.

While I hope my next pair of XT's are more like my first pair, I doubt I'll ever own another pair of Muck boots, though. The toe cracked on one of the boots at about six months, and they have progressively fallen apart ever since. They have been water tight up to this season, even though they looked like crap, but I got wet feet at the boat ramp last weekend. They're toast.

Dan, what size do you wear? I might be able to find some here, maybe these would last you longer.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
Another vote for uninsulated. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
+1 on uninsulated and wool socks and insoles.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Another vote for uninsulated. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Noice! Bloody decks make me hotter than insulated Xtratuffs...
Posted By: las Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
Someone else makes rubber boots? Uninsulated for me too. Bought my latest pair (Blems) from Sweeneys 7 or 10 years ago for $50.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/09/12
I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I like the insulated ones. But then again, I have bad circulation in my hands and feet so I need all the help I can get.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/10/12
Well, since it was nearly unanymous,I bought uninsulated for me. Insulated for my wife as she gets cold hands and feet.
Thanks for the advice gents.
Posted By: las Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/10/12
Thataboy! Always fudge your bets.... smile
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/10/12
Bringing some of these to toss in your wifes gloves is highly recomended.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AKBoater Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/11/12
I buy a costco pack of both hot hands and hot feet for my wife every year. The hot feet are nice because they have an adhesive side so they can double as warming pads on sore/tight muscles. Just stick one on a sore shoulder and the pain get's worked out quick.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/12/12
I have added a couple of packs of Hot Hands to the first day in Anchorage shopping list.

These XtraTufs are leaps and bounds better boots than the usual examples available around here.

Thanks for the advice folks.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/13/12
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I have added a couple of packs of Hot Hands to the first day in Anchorage shopping list.

Don't bother. I've got a bunch and I'm more than willing to share.

These XtraTufs are leaps and bounds better boots than the usual examples available around here.

What kind of price did you find down there? They are about $80 a pair for the uninsulated variety, in Anchorage.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/13/12
Dan, they are $50/ pair for blems for the uninsulated models.
I'll check with them and see what sizes and how many they have in the larger sizes.

Posted By: AKHuck Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/13/12
One boot not mentioned here are Bogs. They're extremely comfortable and tough.

I do kee Xtratuffs for fishing.

Neither give the ankle support for serious walking. I have the Irish Setters for that.
Posted By: eyeball Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/13/12
Dayom wata fish
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/20/12
Thanks, but everything's relative.

Two more shots of the uninsulated models sported by my bud. I had to work that day. frown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/20/12
I am always in awe of the size of those tuna.

On to boots; We bought Spenco PolySorb insoles, and with a good pair of wool socks, the XTRATUF's fit great!
Thanks for the good advice folks, these are going to work great!
Posted By: ironbender Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/20/12
You're going to look all local and stuff! smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/20/12
Love me some Ketchikan running shoes.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
I am always in awe of the size of those tuna.

On to boots; We bought Spenco PolySorb insoles, and with a good pair of wool socks, the XTRATUF's fit great!
Thanks for the good advice folks, these are going to work great!

Don't forget the padded knee and shin guards...
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
I have a Plan. I think you'll like it.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
Originally Posted by ironbender
You're going to look all local and stuff! smile

Don't think I'll fool any locals though. smile
Posted By: waterrat Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
You guys sure put a lotta thought into your footwear!!

I just put my boots on in the AM and take them off at night,,fini,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: MissTreated Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
In some places, if you've been there three days, you are a local.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/21/12
Presuming Mule Deer was in on this:

Xtra-Tuff Record attempted in Ketchikan

Ketchikan residents Saturday attempted to break a Guinness World Record for the World's Largest race wearing Xtra-Tufs, during the Southeast Alaska Rainboot Festival there.

The existing record is 1,347 people and was set in England.

After the count came in, the organizers were considerably short but had managed to gather a remarkable crowd of over a thousand people, 1008 to be exact.

It was calculated that 1 in every 11 people in Ketchikan joined in the attempt.

Spent the entire weekend in a new pair of Southeast tennies.

Put Superfeet coppers as a foot bed as I have flat arches. Carried a lot of [bleep] up and down a rocky beach. Man are my feet sore today. That's one gripe I have. A steel shank or another type of rigid would help on rough, hard-rocked terrain.

Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/22/12
On a much smaller scale, we see that here at home. I live in a small town largely dependent on tourism.
Really looking forward to this second trip, I'm glad we decided to not wait longer before coming back.
Posted By: SpartanGunner Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/22/12
Grayling is a great place. I used to stop in there often on my many trips back and forth to MSU from the UP. I still have a few Spike's Keg 'O Nails can coozies around somewhere. smile
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/23/12
Spikes owners are children of friends of ours.
It's funny to see these grown up kids I remember from their T-Ball days all grown up.
Grayling has been a really nice place to raise our children, I'm glad we didn't stay in the Detroit area.
Posted By: wildchild2010 Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/29/12
12" or 16" XTRATUF the way to go?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/30/12
12"... if you want to look gay...
and fit "in" in Homer...
Posted By: Brother_Bill Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/30/12
[Linked Image]
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Vek Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/30/12
Insulated, bought new in 1994

Thing One wears them, but the kid ones are slick on checker deck due to different sole rubber.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/30/12
Hey! A safety orange fish bat! I know someone who needs one o' dem. smile

Vek and Brother Bill, very cool kiddo boot pics. Thanks.
Posted By: wildchild2010 Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/30/12
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
and fit "in" in Homer...
Sayin' peoples in Homers are gay? grin
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/31/12
I bought 16" and would not consider the 12's at all.
But that's me, do what you like. smile
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/31/12
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
and fit "in" in Homer...

Only about half of 'em... wink
Posted By: 60n148w Re: XTRATUF boots - 05/31/12
Putting on a pair of xtratufs is like walking with an old friend,first seen them in 66 bought my first pair in 68'my friend had been stationed in Ketch. And he called them Pulp Mill boots.

I never liked the insulated as they were to heavy when on Snow Shoes.

This past winter I bought some Muck boots as these old feet start getting cold ,big mistake,the soles on them are slicker than Deer Guts on Glass.

Agree with Muskkeg on heavy beach work.
Posted By: wildchild2010 Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/01/12
The his of the XTRATUF thread.. Do the XTRATUF run big or size for size?
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/01/12
Originally Posted by Calvin
I like uninsulated with wool socks.

Me too.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
and fit "in" in Homer...

Too funny!

One of my pet peeves about this place. People going to work inside buildings sporting a pair of rubber boots.....the Homer way.
Posted By: WDH Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
sitkadeer doesn't wear xtratuffs. Those are for p##$@@##! He killed a porcupine with a crayola crayon (pink). He then skinned it out with his buck knife and made boots out of them...quills turned in. Because sitkadeer the man among men!
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
Hey sock puppet, go crap on your own thread , not mine thanks.
Posted By: WDH Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
Hey sock puppet, go crap on your own thrad , not mine thanks.

obama's going to take your guns!!!!!!!
Piss off dimmocrap
Posted By: glenninjuneau Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
I will not buy another pair of extra tuffs, the last pair I bought lasted a whole week and fell apart. I here they have fixed the problem, but still. I have gone to wearing the LaCross with airbob sole, and love them. They are close to, if not equal to, extra tuffs on a boat, and they fit the ankle so much better. I will say that when the temp drops, those little extra tuff blue booties are the best at keeping your socks dry, and keeping those little piggies toasty.
Posted By: tkinak Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
The his of the XTRATUF thread.. Do the XTRATUF run big or size for size?

I think they are pretty close, note you will need felt insoles.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
Piss off dimmocrap

Mark
He's not worth the bandwidth...
Yes Art, you are correct. Sometimes though, the urge to verbally slap them overcomes me. I'll not waste any more on the troll.
Posted By: wildchild2010 Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/03/12
Originally Posted by glenninjuneau
I will not buy another pair of extra tuffs, the last pair I bought lasted a whole week and fell apart. I here they have fixed the problem, but still. I have gone to wearing the LaCross with airbob sole, and love them. They are close to, if not equal to, extra tuffs on a boat, and they fit the ankle so much better. I will say that when the temp drops, those little extra tuff blue booties are the best at keeping your socks dry, and keeping those little piggies toasty.
Were the ones that lasted a week were they made in the USA or in china?
Posted By: Ray Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/06/12
I find XTRATUF boots too narrow. It's not that I have wide feet, but that with wide boots, specially uninsulated ones, I can wear thick synthetic socks when it gets colder during moose season. Narrow boots sort of constrict my feet and slow blood flow, which in turn makes my feet cold.

So, I went with Bogs boots. These are a wide, and the soles are more rigid and flat, which makes walking comfortable.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/11/12
My last pair set a record for falling apart. If the chinese glue isn't available here, its because it sucks. They used to last me at least a year or two. Last pair, 6 months and the sole has come unglued, the rand is seperating from the sole all around and they cracked real quick.

If you only wear them occasionally they should last a while.

Anyway, uninsulated, wool socks and I buy them a size smaller than my usual boot/shoes.
Posted By: las Re: XTRATUF boots - 11/12/12
and fit "in" in Homer...

Quite a few are. We don't hold it against them.... (kof, kof).

Mostly we refer to all residents of Homer as Homeroids. smile

My pair of (US-made)X-tra-tuffs are about 8 years old now and doing OK - showing scuff, fading and wear. Bought as "Seconds" at Sweeneys in Soldotna for $50 - didn't figure the slight off-color would affect their integrity, and it hasn't.. Having learned from earlier pairs (2 over the previous 30 years), I don't wear or keep them folded down, except to dry. My use isn't too excessive- maybe only 30 days a year. Last time I wore them was a month ago, on an ATV trip in 20 degree weather as the Tundra was freezing up- ya never know at that time when you might break thru to water in the low spots...
Posted By: CastleRocker Re: XTRATUF boots - 12/06/12
I've had the same 3 pair for a long, long time. One pair regular un-insulated, one insulated and corked, one un-insulated and corked. I don't log or commercial fish anymore, so they don't get worn every day like they used to. Hopefully they will last me another 10 years or so.
Posted By: Zs84 Re: XTRATUF boots - 12/10/12
New xtratuf boots suck! I used to be able to get 2000 hours of wear out of a pair. The last pair I just bought blew apart in about two weeks. It's really unfortunate because they have the best tread pattern for safely negotiating a slippery slimy fishing boat deck. Does anybody know of another option? I was really depressed when they went to china for manufacture. When you spend all day every day in your boots you learn to appreciate a good pair.
Posted By: northwestalaska Re: XTRATUF boots - 12/11/12
Originally Posted by wyodeerhunter
Hey sock puppet, go crap on your own thrad , not mine thanks.

obama's going to take your guns!!!!!!!

I have been watching this thread turn from one about foot wear into something political and nasty? I don't get it?? Are ExtraTufs a political statement or are yu guys always pissed off?

Geeee...
© 24hourcampfire