Home
Posted By: hemi82 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/23/13
I have a tripped book for Brown Bear next September with Alaska Private Guide Service in UNIT 17. I was originally planning on taking my Nosler M48 in 325 WSM. The guide stated that anything over 300 WM would be good, so I thought my 325 would be more than enough. Problem is, I just recently chronographed my loads and everything is about 200 fps slower than what I had originally thought. I chronographed it about 3 years ago and was getting 2900 FPS with my 220 gr. Sierras. I tried it this year and am getting mid 2600's to a little over 2700.

Thought it was my chronograph and sent it in for recalibration (thing always showed different speeds depending on how close to sensor you are). Borrowed a buddies in the mean time and found that his was around the same speed. Now with the powder shortage there is not exactly a whole lot of different powders to try. I tried getting Woodleigh 250's going and all I could muster was about 2550 FPS with N160 and RL 19 seemed slower yet.
So I debating on weather or not to order a few different types of powder and try to get another 100 or so FPS, just tinker with what I got to find the best accuracy (usually sub MOA with tinkering), or spring for a bigger gun. I just got a Leica 2.5-10 with #1 retice and love it, but really don't feel like blowing another 1000 dollars when I have already spent so much on everything.

I also hate relying on a gun that is considered "minimum". I am going in after Moose season so will be hunting rivers, up on the tundra if the Bears have moved off of the river, and there is a good chance of shooting one off of a kill site if they had some successful Moose hunters that did not get a chance to shoot a bear off their own kill site.
I have killed several Brown and Grizzlys with my 325wsm. As far as that goes I have killed quite a few with a plain ole 30-06. My go to load for my 325wsm is Reloader 17 and a 200 grain Accubond.

Get close and keep shooting until he stops moving, then shoot once more.

[Linked Image]

I have several loads for 325, so let me know what you have in mind.

Swift A-Frame load.

[Linked Image]

Game King

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hemi82 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/24/13
Thanks, 1sg StephenI will have to try and find the IMR powders locally. I tried RL17 some time back and thought that I had sticking bolt lift over 65 grains. Did not have anything else to go on then and did not try it any further. Accuracy sucked below 65 gains so i moved on to RS Big Game for 200 Accubonds at a moderate speed.
7828 SSC is also slow enough that it may push the 250 Woodleighs faster than the N160 that I have been trying. I just hope I dont get the typical laughter at the gun store when I ask for something other than whats on the shelf.
One of the problems you're evidently running up against is the .325 is NOT a .338 Winchester Magnum, and never was, despite the publicity pronouncements. It ain't gonna get 3000+ out of a 200-grain bullet, or 2700 out of a 250.

That doesn't matter. It still kills stuff with the right bullet.
AWWWW...cummon, John smirk

Would Winchester purposely imply it was the short/fat alternative for sales reasons? whistle

Actually, you hit the nail on the head why I sold my one-hole-wonder 338 and got a 325 WSM to replace it. It doesn't hammer me as much as that 338 ( nicknamed it "the Guillotine"), allowing me to use a much lighter rifle these days.

It won't come up to a 338 by any stretch, but it does hit with authority. Were I young again miraculously, I'd still be lugging a 338 Win mag, not the short fat usurper. grin
Bruce,

You're right on, as usual.

My own .338 is a custom-built lightweight that goes 7-1/2 to 7-3/4 pounds, depending on the scope. I hunted a lot with it for 15 years or so, using handloads that ranges from 200's at 3000 to 250's at 2700. I was younger and convinced that made a magic difference. Have hunted with a lot of other medium-bores since and found out magic isn't nearly as effective as good shooting.
The 338 has simply been the biggest nightmare for me too many times to suggest anyone ever use one... If someone has to ask advice about the round it is more than they should likely be shooting.

I have seen more game lost by those insisting they would and could shoot it. Those that could were never any issue... it isn't the fault of the cartridge... but too many cannot handle it and it makes for messy clean-ups and other bad situations repeatedly.

More than several guides I worked with had found exactly the same thing.

With today's bullets I would think the round can be completely dispensed with for AK and a 30-06 would fill the hole without issue.

I have never seen a 375 shooter have an issue... the shape of everything from the pressure curve to the stock to the weight make it far easier to handle IME&O.
Plus, apparently most .375 shooters don't feel compelled to look for another 100 fps!
He says to the goofball with a 375AI!

I like it to reduce case stretch... really!
And the 20" barrel is proof I am not hooked on speed...
Question... Is it normal for a guide to require "at least a 300 WM"? The two guides I know would prefer the hunter have a 30-06 that he is comfortable with, rather than a magnum that the hunter can't shoot well. Both prefer at least a 30-06.
I think most ask for a 30-06 or bigger... though I guided a client shooting a 7mag once... Few seem to want to go small.
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Question... Is it normal for a guide to require "at least a 300 WM"? The two guides I know would prefer the hunter have a 30-06 that he is comfortable with, rather than a magnum that the hunter can't shoot well. Both prefer at least a 30-06.
In my opinion, more than a few guides are trying to build the excitement of the hunt by suggesting that "bigger" cartridges are recommended. I'm confident some suspect it's harder to sell a hunt for dangerous game if you can use the same equipment that you do for whitetails on the back 40........
Thanks guys, if the stars align, I'll get a shot on a Brown this year. Wanted to make sure my -06 and 35 Whelen were enough, or I needed to go buy a .375 to be manly in the face of a mean ole Brownie. (sarcasm).
This ole Grizz was taken with a 30-06 using Reloader 17 pushing a 180 grain Accubond. Bullet went through and stopped after breaking the away leg.

No question the 338WM is a great caliber, But every one of them I ever shot beat me like I owed it money.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've shot a 270 (150g Partitions at 3000 fps) for most of my life (40 plus years hunting). Over the past 8 years or so I've moved into the big bores. I have to say my Rem XCR II (7 1/2 lbs with Leupold 1.5-5x scope) in 375 Weatherby with 375 H&H factory loads kicks less than my CZ 550 in 375 H&H did at 10 lbs with the same scope. It has to be the stock. My CZ 550 (a great gun by the way) has grown up to be a 500 Jeffery. Maybe that's why I think the little 375 kicks so little ...

Phil says a 30-06 is enough gun, I believe him. But those bears are damn big when you're within 10 yards of them.
Last year on of Phil's clients killed a big bear neatly with a .270 Winchester and 150-grain Nosler Partitions.
I haven't had the opportunity to hunt with guides, my slush funds go to purchasing rifles I can't live without. But from what I have read, its the guides job to put the client into position to put that first shot where it counts, and the clients job to actually put a bullet where it is supposed to go. I would take the 325, even if it is "slow", as long as it puts the bullet where its supposed to. Placement trumps velocity every time.
I'd bet money that any bear you shoot with that 325 wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the cartridge going 2900fps or 2700fps. I'd worry more about bullet placement than speed.
Posted By: tuam76 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/24/13
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
This ole Grizz was taken with a 30-06 using Reloader 17 pushing a 180 grain Accubond. Bullet went through and stopped after breaking the away leg.

No question the 338WM is a great caliber, But every one of them I ever shot beat me like I owed it money.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome Pics 1sg!! A more than satisfied look on your face, I love it.
Posted By: 458Win Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/24/13
Like John said, I had a client using a 270 with 150 gr partitions, his brother brought up his "big gun" , a 7mm Rem mag and another client brought a 35 Whelen.
All three put bullets in the correct place and put their big boars down.

It is time that we start listening to the same advice we have been telling all the aniti-gunners --- IT'S NOT THE GUNS THAT DO THE KILLING, IT'S THE PERSON USING IT !
Guns don't kill bears; People kill bears!
Forgot to add smiley... wink

I'd have no qualms with an 8mm Wizzum shooting a 200 gr TSX or Partition.

Positively love the .338. Redneck just screwed a new (takeoff) tube on my M70 cut to 21".

Just picked up a SS M70 in '06. Won't be scared with 168 TTSX in bruno country.
Posted By: docdb Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/24/13
[Linked Image]

Federal 180gr TSX .30-06 one shot

I'm thinking about taking the new .260 Rem on a sheep hunt next year in the Brooks. It's a pound lighter than my M70 .300 Win Mag which is my other choice, so I'm starting to perk up an watch threads such as this one.
Thanks,
Don
That's a great pic, doc!
My 325wsm and 200 Grain Accubond. Quick kills and devastating wound channels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
200 Grain Accubonds recovered from different bears after being fired from my 325wsm.

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the help, I shoot the rifle very good and with a little bit of tinkering around I usually can get the rifle to shoot sub MOA with most bullets. I stopped at my local gun store and picked up some 4007 SSC, then found some 7828 SSC sitting on the shelf near the door that they did not know they even had. Will try those out as well.
1sgstephen, those accubonds held up better than I thought they would considering how hard they are being pushed. I have shot two Moose with that bullet but was unable to recover the bullets, some exited and another I was unable to find somewhere in the guts (mine were around 2900 fps or so).
Try the 200 gr. TSX with RL17 , I am able to hit 3000 fps. with good brass life & no pressure signs in a 24" Montana. If I go past that, I start to notice pressure.
Works well in my rifle, work up slowly as your results may vary.

Ron
hemi82,

I would think you could do a bit better than 2600-2700 for a reg length barreled 325WSM in 220s. I'm able to get 2650-2675 with RL-17 using my 18" barreled Browning TI. That said I'm taking it onits first "real" hunt in a couple weeks and running 200 NPTs doing around 2825 fps out of the stubby barrel. Its what I will be using for both grizz and black bear this year. The 200 grain NPTs shot better and 150 fps faster than the 220s so can't complain too much.
You boys up there get all the fun. Don't forget the photos.
Posted By: PSH Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/25/13
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
You boys up there get all the fun. Don't forget the photos.

+1

I'd love to be able to hunt one of those one day.
My 325wsm and 200 Grain Accubond. Quick kills and devastating wound channels.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn nice bears 1sgStephen, congrats.

Gunner
200 Grain Accubonds recovered from different bears after being fired from my 325wsm.

[Linked Image]

Gotta love those 200gr AccuBonds! Mine run out at about 2,840 from the Montana and seem to be designed for the rifle.

GREAT PHOTOS...all of the posters above!! cool
Docdb,like that NULA your hiding behind the bear, what Barrel contour and length is that looks like a 26 inch number three..Like mine ?
Hemi:speed has nothing to do with killing and often a faster bullet will penetrate less. Some guys on here can even explain this. You are going heavy with a reasonable wound channel with a .325 which is a responsible choice considering the guns .458 guides. You want a big slow bullet for maximum penetration and the 250 grain will get er done!
Originally Posted by sollybug
Hemi:speed has nothing to do with killing and often a faster bullet will penetrate less. Some guys on here can even explain this. You are going heavy with a reasonable wound channel with a .325 which is a responsible choice considering the guns .458 guides. You want a big slow bullet for maximum penetration and the 250 grain will get er done!

With good bullet construction speed is a wonderful thing and has a fair bit to do with killing in my experience. The great thing about the 325 is that you can get a pretty good balance of both with a 200 grain bullet at 2800+ ft/sec. That speed will give you excellent expansion and a wide wound channel and the retained weight of a Nosler Partition, Accubond or Barnes X will give excellent penetration.
Posted By: docdb Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/27/13
I think it's a 22" #2, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/27/13
Originally Posted by North61

With good bullet construction speed is a wonderful thing and has a fair bit to do with killing in my experience. The great thing about the 325 is that you can get a pretty good balance of both with a 200 grain bullet at 2800+ ft/sec. That speed will give you excellent expansion and a wide wound channel and the retained weight of a Nosler Partition, Accubond or Barnes X will give excellent penetration.

Agreed. Using the correct bullet is key. If slower out penetrates faster wouldn't the faster bullet eventually slow down and out penetrate itself?
Originally Posted by Lhook7

Agreed. Using the correct bullet is key. If slower out penetrates faster wouldn't the faster bullet eventually slow down and out penetrate itself?

When bullets are pushed faster than designed they tend to explode and fragment on impact and fail to penetrate. I have seen this happen many times. Especially with bullets made for long range shooting and are fired at thick skinned game as close range.

IMHO, Brown Bear hunting is a close up hunt, quality bonded bullets fired repeatedly into the vitals.
An 8mm 200 grain Partition or X bullet won't explode at 2900fps.
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/27/13

When bullets are pushed faster than designed they tend to explode and fragment on impact and fail to penetrate. I have seen this happen many times. Especially with bullets made for long range shooting and are fired at thick skinned game as close range.

Yep, I have seen very few true bullet failures, more often than not the bullet is doing exactly what it was designed to do, the shooter made a selection error.

Lhook, no because the faster bullet is smaller and lighter. It will be more effected by wind. Lose it's momentum faster, more likely to fragment, greater deflection, smaller wound channel ( after expansion), less stable, etc. Use a heavier bullet for better results and the .325 above 200 grains would be on the right track!
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/28/13
Sollybug, I am referring to the same size and type of bullet, which I mistakenly thought you were too in your post.
Lhook, no because the faster bullet is smaller and lighter. It will be more effected by wind. Lose it's momentum faster, more likely to fragment, greater deflection, smaller wound channel ( after expansion), less stable, etc. Use a heavier bullet for better results and the .325 above 200 grains would be on the right track!

By and large I'd agree with you. But I toyed around with the 160 grain TTSXs out of my 325 and was able to get them to 3100 fps. If the BC is true then it gets 19" of drop and 13" of wind drift. While I was only able to get the 200 grain AB to 2750 fps (mostly due to lose case capacity with being mag box restricted) which leads to 23" drop and the same 13". They both shoot the same around 1" sometimes better sometimes a about 1.25" but I think thats more attributed to me than the rifle laugh

Still trying to figure out which one to go with. The tinkering side of me wants to have the 160 TTSX for sheep and caribou and moose and 200 NPTs for bears which also shoot around 1". But the logical side of me says use the 200 NPTs for everything and rock on. laugh
Posted By: STA Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/28/13
My Kimber Montana 325wsm with 180gr TSX @3100fps has done me well! This rifle has killed I think 7 caribou, 1 black bear, and maybe 5 whitetail deer. Not one bullet found. The black bear did run a little bit thinking 25yds. If I was taking this gun on a brown bear hunt it would be loaded with 200gr Swift A-Frames @ 2900fps or so... Have never hunted brown bear so this is just my opinion....
Posted By: elim Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/28/13
I killed a 27 1/16" brown last year with a 250 Aframe from a 338 ultra. First shot took out both shoulders and was never found.Heavy is good.
If slower out penetrates faster wouldn't the faster bullet eventually slow down and out penetrate itself?

some great quotes in this thread, first Phil with his, and now this ^

gawd amighty I love that!
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

By and large I'd agree with you. But I toyed around with the 160 grain TTSXs out of my 325 and was able to get them to 3100 fps. If the BC is true then it gets 19" of drop and 13" of wind drift. While I was only able to get the 200 grain AB to 2750 fps (mostly due to lose case capacity with being mag box restricted) which leads to 23" drop and the same 13". They both shoot the same around 1" sometimes better sometimes a about 1.25" but I think thats more attributed to me than the rifle laugh

Still trying to figure out which one to go with. The tinkering side of me wants to have the 160 TTSX for sheep and caribou and moose and 200 NPTs for bears which also shoot around 1". But the logical side of me says use the 200 NPTs for everything and rock on. laugh

There is a lot of advantage to using one bullet weight but the 160 TTSX is such a great bullet. My Browning gets 3200fps with RL 17 and it shoot flat and maintains MOA to 500 yards on a still day. Great load! Took it caribou hunting last season but the caribou only come around when I have my 6.5 Rem Mag with me.
Rem 700 BDL in 8mm Rem Mag with 200 gr Swift AFrame,
77 gr imr4350 3060 fps, 4156 ft lbs.....mo betta bear meds than the 325 WSM
Posted By: hemi82 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 04/30/13
Thanks to 1SgtStephen I was able to get much more respectable numbers out of my rifle. Worked up to 65.5 grs of IMR4007SSC and wound up with velocities 2830-2870. Shooting new brass so was not expecting stellar small groups but put two rounds beside one another and I think I may have pulled the third round, or it may not be as accurate as first thought. Either way it's a good start.
Got the 250 Woodleighs just over 2600 with a heavy charge of imr7828ssc and did not see any signs of excess pressure. Not enough case capacity to fit anymore in there with that large of a bullet. Either way it's plenty fast for what I will be using it fo
Originally Posted by hemi82
Thanks to 1SgtStephen I was able to get much more respectable numbers out of my rifle. Worked up to 65.5 grs of IMR4007SSC and wound up with velocities 2830-2870. Shooting new brass so was not expecting stellar small groups but put two rounds beside one another and I think I may have pulled the third round, or it may not be as accurate as first thought. Either way it's a good start.
Got the 250 Woodleighs just over 2600 with a heavy charge of imr7828ssc and did not see any signs of excess pressure. Not enough case capacity to fit anymore in there with that large of a bullet. Either way it's plenty fast for what I will be using it fo

Wishing the best of luck next fall. I will start developing loads for my Kimber Mountain Ascent 280AI next week. Always nice when you get a rig dialed in.
I read this thread once in a while and always wonder how you ended up doing? I remember thinking each time that 325wsm is fine for Brown bear. Even a 250 grain Woodleigh at 2550. And with 220s often you may get 2800fps not 2900fps; maybe 2750. All would be good if you place the bullet well. I’m always reading posts on forums with folks getting all hung up on 100 FPS. Anyway, I know this is a necropost 7 years later.
But I’m always looking for an opportunity to drum up posts on an old thread about the 325wsm. I suppose I could just start a new one. 😂 lol
After reading all the pages on the 325 the only load I'd use is the 250 Woodleigh,,, but that's just me. I own a 222 that has killed brown bears in the hands of Ole Wasentery of Kvichak fame many years ago. An old trapper on Kokhanok Bay had his trails lined with brown bears skulls,all taken with an 30-30!
Not one mention of the best caliber (in my opinion). The 9.3x62, something about 286 grs. at 2600 to make a deep impression on Mr. Bad attitude. Tikka Forester and CZ 550 FS. My Sako 75 in 375 H&H works good to.
Recoil from a 9.3 is very manageable and my CZ holds 5 In the magazine.
ErichTheRed
Not one mention of the best caliber (in my opinion). The 9.3x62, something about 286 grs. at 2600 to make a deep impression on Mr. Bad attitude. Tikka Forester and CZ 550 FS. My Sako 75 in 375 H&H works good to.
Recoil from a 9.3 is very manageable and my CZ holds 5 In the magazine.
ErichTheRed
Posted By: las Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 07/28/20
I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course, if you can handle it, some think bigger is better. These guys had the right idea along those lines.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Where is that? There are some neat places on Kodiak and the small islands around. Fort Abercrombie has a demiled turret gun that I believe is bigger than that one.
Posted By: las Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 07/29/20
Fort McGilvery, Caine's Head, 7.5 miles down beach from Seward. Or you can take water taxi to North Beach, then it's a 2 mile walk. One emplacement covers the North Beach side approach to Seward. Another a couple hundred yards away on the other side covers the South Beach approach.

If my understanding is correct, they started with 155's, then got 6" guns, and a stand-down order the day before the 6's were to be fired... Too bad. That would have been fun!

Wiki has info on it.

Originally Posted by las
Fort McGilvery, Caine's Head, 7.5 miles down beach from Seward. Or you can take water taxi to North Beach, then it's a 2 mile walk. One emplacement covers the North Beach side approach to Seward. Another a couple hundred yards away on the other side covers the South Beach approach.

If my understanding is correct, they started with 155's, then got 6" guns, and a stand-down order the day before the 6's were to be fired... Too bad. That would have been fun!

Wiki has info on it.

Ask KKAlaska about that hike...
I know this is an old post but I gather you didn’t see the pictures of 1sgStephen just two posts before yours. Apparently his 200 grain accubond is getting 3000 FPS . I get those velocities with my 200 grain loads also. Lol This post is a response to a comment on page 1 of this thread by mule deer.
Excuse the necropost, but I often comment on old threads.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
AWWWW...cummon, John smirk

Would Winchester purposely imply it was the short/fat alternative for sales reasons? whistle

Actually, you hit the nail on the head why I sold my one-hole-wonder 338 and got a 325 WSM to replace it. It doesn't hammer me as much as that 338 ( nicknamed it "the Guillotine"), allowing me to use a much lighter rifle these days.

It won't come up to a 338 by any stretch, but it does hit with authority. Were I young again miraculously, I'd still be lugging a 338 Win mag, not the short fat usurper. grin

Truth in advertising — I still remember Winchesters picto-graph showing how the 270 WSM was ballistically superior to the 270 Weatherby..

A friend once had a 338 in that early Browning model, the Stainless Stalker with the narrow butt. It was nice and light — we named it The Flying Wedge. He soon divorced it.
Again, nothing to do with the original post. But if I had a .325 and liked the gun, there would be no debate about using it. If I felt it was inadequate, would go directly to .375 and there camp happily.

I have a .270 Stainless Stalker, and would not want that rifle chambered in .338.
I wouldn’t feel undergunned with an accurate .325 and good bullets. That being said, I sold my Montana in .325 because I have a .338wm that is my go to rifle if big critters that want to eat me are on the menu or in the area.

You will be served just fine by the short 8mm but if speed is what you’re after then the .325 might not be your huckleberry.

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great hunt and post pictures when it’s done. 👍
Posted By: 8mmRem Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/22/20
I don’t own or shoot a 325 WSM but have thought about it a lot. I have owned a 8mm mag and it has more than the .325. IMO the difference of 200 ft per sec makes NO DIFFERENCE ECE! Good Bullet proper placement DO!! Take your .325 shoot well!
Definitely an old original post.

Personally, I did not buy into the advertising hype that the 325 was "better" than the 338 Winchester.
I did buy into, the 325 is a good cartridge and was usually available in slightly lighter weight over the counter rifles.

A 200 grain, .323 bullet with a sectional density of .274 at 2800 to 2900 fps. Compared to the same constructed .338, 225 grain bullet with a sectional density of .281 at 2800'ish fps. I do not think there will earth tilting differences on game. I concede the advantage difference of .015" bullet diameter and 25 grains extra bullet weight to the .338.

I like the 338 Winchester lots, as well as the 325 WSM. Very doubtful that I will be shooting over 300 yds, so b.c.'s are not ultra important to me with either cartridge. I personally bought a 325 to use instead of various 300 magnums. I did not buy the hype it was "better" than a 300 mag either, just my preference. I prefer the 7mm and 8mm to the .308 magnums for my uses.
Posted By: ATC Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/23/20
Originally Posted by LoadClear

I've spoken to guides who's minimum caliber was 338 mag and they really preferred the 375. I have been on 3 grizzly hunts, two with a 35 Whelen and one with a 375 Ruger. Perfectly comfortable carrying either one.
Posted By: 458Win Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/23/20
I have known one Kodiak bear guide who preferred his 270 and had one client on the peninsula who had no problem killing a large boar with his 270. I have personally killed a few large brown bears with the 30-06. Including two charging bears and the legendary Kodiak guides Pinnell &Tallifson recommended the 30-06 in their brochure.

Anything larger and more powerful that those two will work just fine !
Especially if brand new and freshly bore-sighted! [/sarc]
Phil, I referenced your reply to an ongoing 325 thread on Accurate Reloading.
Unfounded perhaps, except by pulse rate, I freely admit that in close cover I feel better with my 375’s and 416’s. But, I love using them for moose also.

Edit = those 375’s and 416’s are in the uncool Ruger versions.
Posted By: 458Win Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Phil, I referenced your reply to an ongoing 325 thread on Accurate Reloading.
Unfounded perhaps, except by pulse rate, I freely admit that in close cover I feel better with my 375’s and 416’s. But, I love using them for moose also.

Edit = those 375’s and 416’s are in the uncool Ruger versions.

I agree as well !
shoot 180gr accubonds out of my 338rum, about 3400fps, recoil is not bad at all.
I reload the .325 WSM for a couple of hunting buddies and one of them used the .325 WSM with 200 grain Partitions on a huge brown bear in Kamchatka, no problem at all. Might be a load to consider or a Barnes
I killed one with an 8x57, I'm betting whatever you're shooting is going faster, if that matters.
I think I have at least 40 once fired Winchester .325wsm nickel plated brass that was shot through my Kimber Montana. If any of you Alaskans could use it I’ll send it up after the holidays. I don’t want anything for it and don’t have any use for it. 👍
I’ve got some 160 TSX’s in .338 win mag that I’ve been waiting to shoot over the chronograph Santa might be bringing. 😉
Posted By: CRS Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/26/20

Personally, I did not buy into the advertising hype that the 325 was "better" than the 338 Winchester.
I did buy into, the 325 is a good cartridge and was usually available in slightly lighter weight over the counter rifles.

A 200 grain, .323 bullet with a sectional density of .274 at 2800 to 2900 fps. Compared to the same constructed .338, 225 grain bullet with a sectional density of .281 at 2800'ish fps. I do not think there will earth tilting differences on game. I concede the advantage difference of .015" bullet diameter and 25 grains extra bullet weight to the .338.

I like the 338 Winchester lots, as well as the 325 WSM. Very doubtful that I will be shooting over 300 yds, so b.c.'s are not ultra important to me with either cartridge. I personally bought a 325 to use instead of various 300 magnums. I did not buy the hype it was "better" than a 300 mag either, just my preference. I prefer the 7mm and 8mm to the .308 magnums for my uses.

I agree with this. My 338-06's pushing 200-210gr bullets from 2800-2850 will easily do anything I ask. It is my preference over a 325 or 338 Win Mag. I also own a 300 H&H and really like the rifle/cartridge for nostalgia sake. For all intents and purpose it is in the same class as my 338-06's.
Originally Posted by CRS

I agree with this. My 338-06's pushing 200-210gr bullets from 2800-2850 will easily do anything I ask. It is my preference over a 325 or 338 Win Mag. I also own a 300 H&H and really like the rifle/cartridge for nostalgia sake. For all intents and purpose it is in the same class as my 338-06's.

+!
Idmay375,

It's hard to find much advantage over the standard case chamberings. The 338 win mag is legendary and highly regarded. But a four or five down 338-06 carbine will be lighter, easier to carry, less recoil, and more efficient with a shorter barrel. I've chronographed factory loads in the 20 inch 338 win mag guide gun, the loads are within 70-80 fps of your hand loads.

Same with the 9.3x62 mauser. I had both the 375 ruger and a five-down cz 9.3x62 carbine. The 9.3 stayed, but the 375 ruger found a new home. 300 grain bullets at 2460 fps ain't no slouch.

In a way, the standard case medium bores are a serious contender against the magnums. Hand me a 9.3x62, 35 whelen or 338-06 on a running or wounded animal, I guarantee that I'll get more aimed shots out the barrel, over the magnums.

Even up to 41 caliber on the standard case (technically still a medium bore):

My 41 wildcat off the 9.3x62 case, it was a lighter, shorter gun that held 4 rounds down over my 416 ruger. The recovery from recoil was quicker as well.

When standard type B mauser rifles were exported to Africa in the early 1900's it was a sufficient dangerous game gun affordable to bush people. They were stamped 9.3x62 mauser or 10.75x68 mauser.

The magnum mausers went to custom gunmakers aimed at a wealthier crowd.

Our American 35 whelen, 333 OKH and 400 whelens were essentially the working man's versions that accomplished the same thing that the 10.75x68 and 9.3x62 did in Africa.

But what do I know, i poop in a hole and have no electricity or running water.
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have known one Kodiak bear guide who preferred his 270 and had one client on the peninsula who had no problem killing a large boar with his 270. I have personally killed a few large brown bears with the 30-06. Including two charging bears and the legendary Kodiak guides Pinnell &Tallifson recommended the 30-06 in their brochure.

Anything larger and more powerful that those two will work just fine !

What rifle and bullet Where you using in particular on the two charging grizz you shot with the 30-06?
Posted By: 79S Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Idmay375,

It's hard to find much advantage over the standard case chamberings. The 338 win mag is legendary and highly regarded. But a four or five down 338-06 carbine will be lighter, easier to carry, less recoil, and more efficient with a shorter barrel. I've chronographed factory loads in the 20 inch 338 win mag guide gun, the loads are within 70-80 fps of your hand loads.

Same with the 9.3x62 mauser. I had both the 375 ruger and a five-down cz 9.3x62 carbine. The 9.3 stayed, but the 375 ruger found a new home. 300 grain bullets at 2460 fps ain't no slouch.

In a way, the standard case medium bores are a serious contender against the magnums. Hand me a 9.3x62, 35 whelen or 338-06 on a running or wounded animal, I guarantee that I'll get more aimed shots out the barrel, over the magnums.

Even up to 41 caliber on the standard case (technically still a medium bore):

My 41 wildcat off the 9.3x62 case, it was a lighter, shorter gun that held 4 rounds down over my 416 ruger. The recovery from recoil was quicker as well.

When standard type B mauser rifles were exported to Africa in the early 1900's it was a sufficient dangerous game gun affordable to bush people. They were stamped 9.3x62 mauser or 10.75x68 mauser.

The magnum mausers went to custom gunmakers aimed at a wealthier crowd.

Our American 35 whelen, 333 OKH and 400 whelens were essentially the working man's versions that accomplished the same thing that the 10.75x68 and 9.3x62 did in Africa.

But what do I know, i poop in a hole and have no electricity or running water.

But you do have internet 👍
Heck yah! We got ah AT&T, 4g tower over on tower rd, about 15 miles from here. I get 2 bars on this here $50 a month phone. Good money spent.
I’d listen to Mainer. He figured it out a long time ago. The hard way. Real experience. Not off the internet. 😜
No doubt the standard / 30-06 size cartridges perform well.
The 338-06 is an exceptional performer, in my opinion. A great cartridge.
Off topic a bit but I have always been puzzled by the notion that the 338WM kicks "too hard". I have a WIN Classic stainless with the synthetic stock and I have shot 225 and 250 grain bullets out of it at the range. Bench shooting always kicks more than actual shooting from other positions but I never found it unbearable to the point that it affected my shot placement. A bit more sudden than the 375H&H but not unbearable as many others seem to think. I am 5'10 and 185 so I am no giant either. Does anyone agree with me? I am beginning to worry that there is something wrong with me because I do not have an issue with the 338.
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Off topic a bit but I have always been puzzled by the notion that the 338WM kicks "too hard". I have a WIN Classic stainless with the synthetic stock and I have shot 225 and 250 grain bullets out of it at the range. Bench shooting always kicks more than actual shooting from other positions but I never found it unbearable to the point that it affected my shot placement. A bit more sudden than the 375H&H but not unbearable as many others seem to think. I am 5'10 and 185 so I am no giant either. Does anyone agree with me? I am beginning to worry that there is something wrong with me because I do not have an issue with the 338.

I agree Mil. Here's a vid of me shooting my .340 Wby--225gr TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3,040 fps. It's just not much recoil to bother about.

https://i.imgur.com/xMUu4AG.mp4
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I agree Mil. Here's a vid of me shooting my .340 Wby--225gr TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3,040 fps. It's just not much recoil to bother about.

https://i.imgur.com/xMUu4AG.mp4

Also agree.

My .338 is 8lbs all up shooting the 225TSX ay 2900 FPS.

Not objectionable at all.
Nothing brings out the long threads like a "bear load" topic or a "hand gun for bears" topic. I enjoy reading them and I have been hunting in Alaska for 55 years and knew several old time guides from the Slana and Nebesna Road area. Others not based out of their but met through the Perkins family were Duncan Gilcrest, Maynard "Perk" Perkins, Roy Biffel and I think a guy named Johnson. A colorful bunch for sure. Old Fred Bronochi used to have "happy hour" at his place on Nebesna down the road from the Heart D Ranch owned by guide Don Dehart. Bill Alice, Doc Taylor, DeHart, Bud Conkle and others my memory has lost, they used to stop in and swap stories. I may have butchered some names. They spoke often about old guide Harry Boyden who I regrettably never took the time to go meet, my loss Old Fred liked me and allowed me to sit in and listen if I was in the area. As a young lad I was in awe to say the least!

They spoke often of bears they and their clients took in the interior and their fall Peninsula brown bear hunts. Most of the interior grizzly were "incidental" to sheep, caribou and moose hunts, so what ever gun they had in their hands was their "bear gun". Most of the calibers I heard about were the .270 Win., the 30-06, the .300 H&H, .308 Norma mag. and the .375 on the Peninsula or for their Kotzebue Polar Bear hunts. Rifles favored were the old Mod. 70, converted Springfield 03A3's and a few Remington 721's. The bullets were mostly the old Rem. Core-Lokt and Nosler Partitions. Usually 180 grains in the .30 calibers and 270 grains in the .375.

One thing I remember well is, to the man they all expressed their desire to get the client close to any big bear for the first shot. They thought 40 yards was perfect and nothing over 200 yards ever at un wounded bears Their reasoning was good shot placement and impact velocity. From what I see and read on the internet times have changed. I have no desire to take long shots at bears.
Nothing to that hike broke my leg in lo tide area hiked on in to the cabin came out 3 days later, pins and a plate. Tibula and fibula spiral fracture, wife insisted just a bad sprain till she saw x rays, in fact she said I looked like a turtle on my back get up. Now I call hikes with her death marches!

Don’t over think it! If you shoot that rifle well and have a solid bonded/copper bullet over 200 grains that’s accurate, go hunt hard and have 100% confidence when you pull the trigger on your bear. Good luck!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by Lgraham
Don’t over think it! If you shoot that rifle well and have a solid bonded/copper bullet over 200 grains that’s accurate, go hunt hard and have 100% confidence when you pull the trigger on your bear. Good luck!

Why would you want or need a solid copper bullet over 200 grains?
I think the original poster said he had a 325 WSM and I believe the 200 is the lightest bullet for that caliber. However for bear I wouldn’t be opposed to shooting a bullet below 200 grains as long as it’s constructed well and placed in the correct spot. Doesn’t necessarily need to be monolithic copper, the Barnes tsx is a popular one up here for penetration. If it were me I’d prefer a Nosler Accubond or Partition.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by Lgraham
I think the original poster said he had a 325 WSM and I believe the 200 is the lightest bullet for that caliber. However for bear I wouldn’t be opposed to shooting a bullet below 200 grains as long as it’s constructed well and placed in the correct spot. Doesn’t necessarily need to be monolithic copper, the Barnes tsx is a popular one up here for penetration. If it were me I’d prefer a Nosler Accubond or Partition.

Both Nosler and Barnes make a 180 grain.
Gotcha, then if the 325WSM shot 180’s well I’d stuff some in the mag and go bear hunting. I have a 300 WSM and would feel totally comfortable taking a good broadside shot at a bear with either the Barnes or Accubond. Biggest thing is waiting for a good first shot and making it count. Once you got a good round in him keep racking and cracking till the gun’s empty.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: 325 WSM Brown Bear medicine - 12/29/20

I've been somewhere about your size for a good part of my adult years, but today (just turned 85 today) I'm a bit lighter and shorter. In my sixties my favorite long-range rifle was a .340 Weatherby that I shot a bull moose with in the far north of our province (Ontario, Canada). I put over a thousand rounds from that rifle (a rechambered .338 Win Mag) with a 26" barrel. My load for moose was a 250gr Nos. Partition at 3000 fps. No trauma or felt pain, EVER! Recoil is mostly a matter of the psyche! Today, my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag. On my shelf I have 27 different weights and styles of .458" bullets. Since I'm no longer hunting in the "Far North" of our province, but closer to home in Central Ontario, my favorite big game rifles are the .458 Win and 9.3 x 62 Mauser. My .458 load currently for black bear is a 405gr at 2083 fps avg - the same as from a former 1895 Marlin. That's my load for next spring's bear hunt. The rifle with scope and 5 cartridges on the stock in a holder is 10.75 lbs. Recoil from that load is a mere 30 ft-lbs. In the Marlin it was 42 ft-lbs. 2 extra pounds weight in a rifle that';s well balanced (and shorter at 40") is FAR better than 25 lbs overweight! I regularly work out to keep in shape!

I've owned and handloaded most common cartridges from the .22 Hornet to the "mighty" .458 Winchester Magnum (I've owned 10 .45-70s and 3 .458 WMs). I've never lost or had to hunt for an animal hit by a .458" projectile.

Added for clarification: The above is not mere boasting... it's historical facts. The motive is to point out that any fit hunter/sportsman can "handle" the recoil of a .338 Win Mag without pain or discomfort. All that has to do with, firstly: the mind, secondly physical fitness, thirdly technique, fourthly the rifle's weight and profile, lastly the load and practice, practice, practice...

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

With the right bullet in the right place the .325 WSM has to work. I have never been a long range shooter at our wonderful big game animals and never had a need to be, so I have pretty much stuck with the 30-06 and .338 Winny and both calibers with my loads are capable of 500 yard hits at the range. My 30-06 is a pre-64 Featherweight and my .338 is a customized Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" that shoots 250 or 225 grain Barnes X bullets into little groups. It weighs about 8.25 lbs. with 4 down and a Bansners Stock and a Nightforce SHV 3-9x42. I have never lost an animal in 55 years up here and have never had to shoot one twice, other then a couple of head shots as they lay on the ground bleeding out.

I have owned four .375's and never hunted them. A Sako Carbine, couple of pre-64's and a "Classic Stainless" I fixed up and gifted to my son-in-law. At the range I fired 270 grain Barnes X bullets out of them and they all recoiled more then my .338. I personally believe felt recoil is a personal thing and if some thing is repeated enough it often becomes truth.

On paper the .325 WSM has all the "right stuff". But, history has not been kind to 8mm any thing in North America, If I hunted Africa I would look for a old "Classic Stainless" action and make up a .375 H&H unless some crafty gun smith could figure out a way to make me up a 5 down Ruger .375. I know I wouldn't have time for 5 shots, but to me the magazine is a great place to store extra ammo and I can run a bolt faster then I can reload a bolt action magazine rifle. My Professional would save me any way, right?

A Swift 200 or 220 grain A-Frame, a Nosler 200 grain Accubond or Partition or a 200 grain Barnes X would be my choices with the Barnes X my first choice. My personal experience for the last 50 years is pretty much with Barnes X and Partitions, which always work.
.32 magnum IMO would work fine. Most bullet makers top out at 200 gr, several 180 and 190 gr to choose from. Barnes made a 220 gr back in the day. 200 gr seems appropriate for big bears at moderate ranges from a .32 magnum.

Re: 338 Win Mag. The 338 Win Mag is not terribly difficult to shoot in my opinion. I have used it on a few elk and whitetails. Bought it 35 years ago. Shot it a lot back then, but always loaded heavies such as 250 gr Partitions, 250 gr Hawk and 250 gr Sierras at 2,625 fps - 2,650 fps for elk. At those speeds and hunting in winter clothing wear, I honestly never noticed it being rough on the shoulder. Sure bench shooting gets exhausting 15-20 rounds in, but so does a .30 magnum. With the understanding that big browns and even inland grizz are shot well within 200 yards and most within 125 yards, I would see no need to juice a 338 Win Mag any faster to obtain more recoil for that situation. The 338 Win Mag with 250 gr loads has a lot of spank at 200 yards.
I shot a grizz in BC in1978 with Katchika range outfitters with a stock Rem 30/06 180 grain Core Loct...First shot through both shoulders knocked him downand another insurance..Also got a 60" moose same trip..I have a.300. Mag Win for a littl more range but took a lot of game with 30/06..
Back in another century(1978),.I shot a nice grizzly in B.C.with Emil McCook ,,with a 30/06 and 180 gr. core loct,,1 shot and down + an insurance shot..60" moose too..
© 24hourcampfire