Home
Posted By: Dan_H Frost - 09/16/13
Not ready for the season to change yet. Frosted this morning.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Frost - 09/16/13
Wherebouts, without being too specific if you don't want to?
Posted By: VernAK Re: Frost - 09/16/13
18F in Delta area
BRRRRRR! But I miss that place. Any guess how long before you can run a snow machine up the Tanana?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Frost - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by Dan_H

I can smell the currants and spruce needles from here.
Something magic about fall up there.

This is the first time I've been homesick since I moved down here. frown

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

It won't be the last.
Posted By: woods1126 Re: Frost - 09/16/13
Calling for frost here tonight in Fingerlakes area, Upstate New York!
Posted By: AnsonRogers Frost - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by VernAK
18F in Delta area

August 8th, my wife and I were standing in the shade, eating ice cream after gassing up at one of your stations. On our way to Fairbanks. Had a great time in our two weeks in Alaska! Didn't care much for the smoke just outside Delta Junction and almost all the way to Nenana.
Posted By: ykrvak Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Good hard freeze the last two mornings. Ice on the puddles, on top of fuel drums ect.... Mid 20's
Posted By: las Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Had frost on the 4-wheeler yesterday. Don't got no pumpkins here, so that will have to do.... smile
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Dan_H

I can smell the currants and spruce needles from here.
Something magic about fall up there.

Ed

It's the fermenting Interior high-bush cranberry smell for me. When I hit Fairbanks in 1968 on September 5, that created a permanent memory. It stinks, but that's "fall" to me in Alaska ever since. Don't have it here, or much on the Kenai. i miss it.
Posted By: greyghost1 Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Frost, heck we had snow on August 20th, of course we were a little farther North.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I do think it was below freezing in midtown last night though.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Frost - 09/17/13
We had hard frost where you and I camped by the burn. It did no harm to all the gnats, sadly.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Originally Posted by greyghost1
Frost, heck we had snow on August 20th, of course we were a little farther North.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I do think it was below freezing in midtown last night though.

I have the same tent and have seen it in exactly the same circumstances... Only deeper and whiter...
Posted By: Uncas Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Ed, roadtrip? We can be in Tok in 12 hours.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Frost - 09/17/13
1st temp below 37 since May for me to ...27 at 1000' along the parks hwy north of nenana....here it comes...............my trees still have 99.5 of their leaves...maybe a false flag???
Posted By: Uncas Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Hot and dusty in Juneau,,,naw its sprinkling but warm and calm, has been all Summer.
We had snow a couple weeks ago for an hour or two. First ice on the puddles this morning.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Frost - 09/17/13
Yeah, but you live in Alaska.
Posted By: las Re: Frost - 09/18/13
Only visiting. But this may take some time. I'm only just learning the country now that I am full-time and only working 40 hrs/week, instead of half time at 60-70...

See there- promotions up the seniority ladder are good! Some other poor bastid gets "juniored" for open shifts, called in sick., vacations, etc.

Ice in the tundra puddles on my way home at sunset from a down-beach ATV run looking for caribou/moose. Reformed after my 3 p.m. run going.. Beatuiful, but windy day tho.

Them geese were making a hard time of i, following the contours.

In the am, the shotgun goes along...Maybe something will come over close enough...
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Frost - 09/18/13
WELL...I GOT A INCH OF SNOW.....THANK U !!!! had to sweep car off ....the road north to skinnys sucked!!!
Posted By: ykrvak Re: Frost - 09/18/13
We had a few flakes on the ground this morning, but nothing like that. After the late breakup, not really excited about the idea of an early winter. Not much to be done about it though. Keep your smile and drive safe.
Posted By: ykrvak Re: Frost - 09/18/13

It's the fermenting Interior high-bush cranberry smell for me. When I hit Fairbanks in 1968 on September 5, that created a permanent memory. It stinks, but that's "fall" to me in Alaska ever since. Don't have it here, or much on the Kenai. i miss it. [/quote]

This. The smell of high bush always brings thoughts of fall and moose hunting. I'm thankful to still live in an area where they are plentiful.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Frost - 09/18/13
We had a pretty good frost way down here on Tuesday night. I am NOT ready for this chit-feels like we didn't even have summer yet.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Frost - 09/19/13
Had 15-18 at the house Monday morning of our friends, they said its usually 5 or so colder where we were. It seemed like it could have been 15 for sure, maybe even 10. I thought it was a bit nippy.

Beats coming home to 94 at dark. And to know we could have that for another month or more.

You get 9 months of frozen hell, we get 9 months of burned up hell. I"m ready to try the frozen part. Can dream at least.

A LOT happier at 30 than 110 in the shade.
Posted By: copperlake Re: Frost - 09/21/13
Originally Posted by ykrvak

It's the fermenting Interior high-bush cranberry smell for me. When I hit Fairbanks in 1968 on September 5, that created a permanent memory. It stinks, but that's "fall" to me in Alaska ever since. Don't have it here, or much on the Kenai. i miss it.

This. The smell of high bush always brings thoughts of fall and moose hunting. I'm thankful to still live in an area where they are plentiful.[/quote]

Man, you very poetically described the exact same memory I have. Isn't interesting how those youthful memories are so powerful?
© 24hourcampfire