Home
Posted By: MagMarc 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
How would the 358 rank as an all around big game cartridge for AK? Pics and stories would be great.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
It's too small and inadequate.
Posted By: ironbender Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
It's WAY above minimum.
My uncle used a .358 Win for well over 30 years in Alaska. I know he has killed numerous moose, caribou, and deer with it. He also killed a Dall sheep in the Brooks Range around 1972 with it. He wasn't into hunting bears so he never killed any with it. I am pretty sure he would have had no problem doing so had the need or desire arised.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
It's as good as, and better in some ways, than a 30-06 inside of 150-200 yards. But a 30-06 or 300 Mag are better overall. I like my 358 a lot but appreciate it for the niche it fills as a very handy shorter distance powerhouse.

[Linked Image]

This one was killed just before dark on the shortest day of the year. It was the third moose I killed with the 358 and took two shots at well beyond 200 yards. I was disappointed in the performance of both bullets; though, by some luck, one or both of them did just enough damage to put him down.

I've killed caribou, moose, and bear with mine, but I do not consider it an all-around caliber in the Winchester case.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
Thanks Klik!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
I'd rather a 308
Posted By: VernAK Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
Not usually considered a sheep rifle but they do fine on moose and bears when the right bullets are used.

I had one 40 years ago and loaded the Norma 250 grs in it.....great results.
Posted By: KC Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
Originally Posted by MagMarc
How would the 358 rank as an all around big game cartridge for AK? Pics and stories would be great.

You ought to PM Dr. Ken Howell. He invented that caliber and he's on this forum.

KC

Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
One can easily blame Ken and Steve Timm for whatever 358 afflictions they may have; both were proponents of said cartridge in Nosler's reloading tomes.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/26/14
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I was going to say "358 what" but then I re-read the title. 358 STA is quite a whopper and not a short range affair!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/27/14
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
One can easily blame Ken and Steve Timm for whatever 358 afflictions they may have; both were proponents of said cartridge in Nosler's reloading tomes.

I talked to Steve about that very thing laugh
Posted By: 458Win Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/29/14
I sold my last 358 Win just before moving to Alaska and have never had the urge to get another but the great Kodiak guide Hal Waugh had a M-70 ftw in 358 and claimed it was a good killer on Kodiak bears.
I know I certainly would not be afraid to use one on anything in Alaska.
Posted By: local_favorite Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/30/14
My two cents on the .358 Win:

If I already had one, I'd happily tote it. If I didn't, I'd buy a .35 Whelen or 9.3 and more happily tote either.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/30/14
Originally Posted by 458Win
I sold my last 358 Win just before moving to Alaska and have never had the urge to get another but the great Kodiak guide Hal Waugh had a M-70 ftw in 358 and claimed it was a good killer on Kodiak bears.
I know I certainly would not be afraid to use one on anything in Alaska.

Thank You
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 06/30/14
Seems like a 338 Federal would hit about as hard. Factory ammo is a slim possibility, and bullet selection in 338 would be better.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 07/02/14
You only need one. Plenty of quality bullets for the 358 to do anything one desires with it. Bullet selection as a reason for one caliber over another played itself out years ago.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 07/03/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Seems like a 338 Federal would hit about as hard. Factory ammo is a slim possibility, and bullet selection in 338 would be better.

I already have the 358, if I didn't I would go Whelen.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 358 Win in Alaska? - 07/04/14
I agree with M1 Garand, there are plenty of good bullets for the 358. I reload, and my go-to bullet is the 225 grain Nosler Partition. However, with the velocity of the 358, even cheaper projectiles like Hornady Interlock's also work well. I will probably never get to hunt Alaska but, my 358 Win works well for large game in the lower 48. For comparison, I also own a 9.3x62 which I would probably choose if I were hunting big browns. But alas, I will probably never have the opportunity to hunt bear in Alaska.
© 24hourcampfire