Home
Posted By: nhFrank swap a hunting fishing trip - 04/04/15
I have a hunting camp in VT and am interested in finding someone in AK that has a hunting camp there that would be interested in swapping time for hunting and fishing .any takers
ironbender will do it
Unfortunately, under AK law, that is considered guiding on this end so you can only do it with transporters or guides licensed in AK...
You mean to say you can't invite some one to your camp to go hunting
The current guide regulations stipulate that a person may not receive compensation of any kind in exchange for providing assistance to a hunter in the field, unless the person providing the service holds a current registered guide or master guide license.

Copied and pasted
Shared expenses only.
Posted By: maggie Re: swap a hunting fishing trip - 04/04/15
So if I come hunt with one of you, and you share my beer expense, we're good, right?
The home state Alaskan has every thing at risk on the violation.

The NR does not have as much vested so it pays to be very careful, F&G does monitor this.
Originally Posted by maggie
So if I come hunt with one of you, and you share my beer expense, we're good, right?

yeah, pretty much!
Shared exspesive so if I let you stay at my place in VT private property as a guest no payment I can't stay in your place In as a guest in AK to go hunting or fishing
It is not like I am a guide here swapping a guided hunting trip for a hunting trip ,all I am looking for is a place to stay to go hunting on my own not a guided hunt .
The suggestion basically, read the rules really carefully and then decide what they mean.

Just a suggestion.

Your initial post vs the latest sounds like something that was brought to me recently.
We need to build a house so my daughter can stay there while in school.
Ok, you can do that on commercial zoned, but then you can't build your strip mall.

Well, thats not really what I meant, my wife needs and office where my daugtehr can stay a few nights here and there.

Ok, if staying the night its residential, not commercial, same answer.

Ok, my wife needs office, daughter won't be staying overnight, just afternoons...

Its all in how its worded sometimes and what the intent is.

hence the suggestion to go to the ADFG website and read up a bit.

And per your last statement I'd say you are fine. If thats correct.
Got ya I know some times things come across not like they should I am not a guide and not looking for a guide just looking for a place to stay to go hunting and I have a place some else could stay while out here that would like a change and a nice visit to hunt fish or just get away
Personally, just doing what you are doing should be no issue IMHO.

But you never know, which means it pays to google and or make a few phone calls.
As a former transporter and guide I can absolutely assure you the Troopers would look at the suggested swap in the first post as guiding... Swapping for ANY hunting help is guiding, and paying a non-guide or non-transporter is the same as paying for the services.

If you have an old buddy from wherever that wants to come up and go hunting with you and share costs that is not a problem... Meeting someone expressly for the purpose of swapping is a problem. Regardless the language of the law the Troopers interpretation is as above.
I am offering the use of my place here for some one to use it as they will for the same I am not asking for a guide but a place I can access hunting or fishing on my own pretty simply no guiding services
What I suggested in the first post was to swap my camp for another camp didn't not ask for a guide nor did I offer to guide anyone so sorry for the mix up
Posted By: las Re: swap a hunting fishing trip - 04/05/15
You want a real hoot, Frank, read ADF&G's definition of "take" on game.
In what category of take are you referring too

Who knew the "last frontier" was so heavily regulated?
Originally Posted by Whiptail

It is extremely regulated. Definitely not worth even coming up here.....like ever!! wink
and if you do ignore alaska lanche make sure to bring your own attorney... or better yet hire one when you arrive.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

It is extremely regulated. Definitely not worth even coming up here.....like ever!! wink

Too late, I've already been. It's a nice place and fortunately has enough room that you can avoid douchy people. wink
Like they say there is one in every crowd some folks just seem to have a stick stuck up there azz and a negative view about every thing
some folks need to understand humor.

And some need to read rules and regs.

YMMV
I would not or ask anyone to brake any laws
Just looking to meet up with some one that would like a new adventure in a new area ,to hunt and fish or just have a getaway VT is a very nice place to enjoy the great out doors my place sits in Corinth VT 10 miles from the NH border with access to hundreds of acres of prime hunting land .on either side of the Connecticut river .
Deer or bear hunting and some very good fishing hiking mt biking and not a very long drive from the coast .
And I would like to come to AK there to make a friend that could share the same exspereance there
Call the AK State Troopers and ask them since they are the ones who'll be writing the ticket.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Geez man, what are you worried about competition for? Getting all those choice permits and your own TV show and all!!! grin
HAHA......I know right! I actually was content to apply the rest of my life for Kodiak bear and never draw, go figure. I'd rather be lucky than good.
Originally Posted by nhFrank
Like they say there is one in every crowd some folks just seem to have a stick stuck up there azz and a negative view about every thing

Well then, if being right means being negative, so be it... but do as MtnHntr suggested and call the troopers. I am not being negative, just realistic.

Back when I was running charters I often traded and had many good experiences. Some of those experiences provided the information I needed to know how to answer your post. Sorry if you choose to flail against the facts.
Mister sitka deer I am not a dumb azz and would not put anyone in a place were they would do something illegal ! If and when I hook up with some one .
Thank you so much for your repeated concern about the law
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Call the AK State Troopers and ask them since they are the ones who'll be writing the ticket.

lol...

SOBs are happy to do it too.
Stop it with alla this "law' business.

It's just so confusing........
You can lead a NH boy water but you obviously cannot make 'em think...
But, but........
Duhh I wish I waz smart like you mister sitkaka
Ya know SD all you are doing is looking for a'pizzing contest your like a zit that keeps popping up like an ear tic I heard what you said the first time and the second time and the third time go crawl up,someone else azz please
Originally Posted by nhFrank
Ya know SD all you are doing is looking for a'pizzing contest your like a zit that keeps popping up like an ear tic I heard what you said the first time and the second time and the third time go crawl up,someone else azz please

Your comment after being told by several folks that what you are doing would not fly: "I am offering the use of my place here for some one to use it as they will for the same I am not asking for a guide but a place I can access hunting or fishing on my own pretty simply no guiding services
What I suggested in the first post was to swap my camp for another camp didn't not ask for a guide nor did I offer to guide anyone so sorry for the mix up"

And then this gem; "Like they say there is one in every crowd some folks just seem to have a stick stuck up there azz and a negative view about every thing"

And then this; "I would not or ask anyone to brake any laws
Just looking to meet up with some one that would like a new adventure in a new area ,to hunt and fish or just have a getaway VT is a very nice place to enjoy the great out doors my place sits in Corinth VT 10 miles from the NH border with access to hundreds of acres of prime hunting land .on either side of the Connecticut river .
Deer or bear hunting and some very good fishing hiking mt biking and not a very long drive from the coast .
And I would like to come to AK there to make a friend that could share the same exspereance there"

And this which starts off with a false premise right off the bat! "Mister sitka deer I am not a dumb azz and would not put anyone in a place were they would do something illegal ! If and when I hook up with some one .
Thank you so much for your repeated concern about the law"

So here is the thing to consider: I could not possibly care less how stupid you are or what you might do, I am simply making the interpretation clear to any that might want to take you up on your offer... You have been told how and where to get the proper answer since you do not believe those that do know. Arguing with me and calling me names for making it clear you are headed down the wrong trail is not a good use of your time.

Funny that the person most named as a thief on here is the law expert.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5179313/1
Funny that an idiot with no idea what actually happened wants to bring it up...
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: swap a hunting fishing trip - 04/07/15
How about some VT maple syrup to sweeten the deal? I don't have anything to trade, I just want some syrup!

In all seriousness Frank, food luck in your endeavor. I think the American Hunting Club has a means to swap hunts, might check that out.
Frank,

Calling Sitka names won't change the fact that what he is telling you is pretty much right on the money. You're certainly not the first person who's had the great idea to "trade" hunts in the lower 48 with an Alaska resident, so there's some experience that preceeds you!

Additionally, let's look at a typical scenario with an Alaskan trade hunt. I'll go out on a limb here and assume you can drive to your cabin and hike to the "hundreds of acres" of prime hunting and fishing ground you have access to. Am I correct? So, I fly to New Hampshire, rent a car, meet up with you somewhere, drive to your cabin, and we hike around hunting and fishing for a few days, returning to the cabin each night. I have no doubt the area is beautiful, and I have no doubt the hunting and fishing are very good, but I don't see the hunting trip as one which requires a great deal of effort.

For a typical hunt in Alaska, which has huge tracts of public land and land owned by one of several native corporations, you can't simply drive to your hunting area and take a short hike into prime hunting country. Just to get into the unit where you are going to hunt often requires a significant amount of planning and preparation. Access to the hunting area generally requires either a long boat ride across salt water or up a river, up to several hours in a float plane, hours on four wheelers, or float trips with rafts down stretches of river sometimes a hundred miles or more from put-in to take-out. All these things take time, hard work, and money (sometimes lots and lots of money).

Camp is typically whatever tent you carry in with you. A luxurious camp may have a wall tent or something similar, while more typically camp is in a backpacking tent of some variety. Same with food, you can eat whatever you can comfortably carry! Once you get into your hunting area, it's not uncommon to hike up to ten or so miles each day in search of your quarry. Alaska does not have game behind every bush, and you can't just sit in a tree stand and wait for the game to come to you like many hunters do in the lower 48.

So, on your end, you come to Alaska, someone picks you up at an airport (because not all our airports have car rentals available) and brings you to their home (or a hotel, if there is one, which will probably cost over $200 per night). The next day they load you and the gear you bring into the truck with a bunch of their own gear and drive all day, or a couple of days, to get to your flight charter, or to get to the place you start to hike, or to get to a launch area on a river. I'm sure you get the picture by now!

In short, I've hunted deer, elk, antelope, etc... down south and I've hunted Dall sheep, mountain goats, bears, and deer here in Alaska. Alaska hunts tend to be tough, long, relatively expensive, and require knowledge and planning to be successful. Few Alaskan's have the kind of hunting camp you have there in New Hampshire, so it can take up to several days just to get to a place to set up camp.

Good luck in your endeavor, and I truly hope you find someone who will offer up the experience you're looking for, but exchanging (or whatever code word you want to use for "trading" hunts) a hunt in Alaska (with a total stranger) for a tree-stand type deer hunt in the lower 48 simply isn't even close to being a worthwhile effort for most of us up here, so when we see these "generous" offers some of us tend to simply roll our eyes and break out the popcorn...

Chris

Thank you Chris for your input SD has added his in put and I heard him load and clear as I hear you .
I am not ignorant to work involved in an Alaska hunt .
Sorry I worded my opening to what I am looking for .
Every one has different interest as to were they what to go and what they would like to do .
So it was an offer .I heard what you and mister SD had to offer and thank you .for your concerns
Thanks for the tip I will check it out .
As for the maple syrup send me a pm and I will set you up
© 24hourcampfire